Hockey Fans #2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I figured it was time for Hockey Fans to have a new thread as the old one was well kind of old :)

So here's where you can discuss your favourite team, player and whatever else hockey fans talk about.

The old thread can be found here

May the best team win :)

2. Axelsonfire

Axelsonfire Pathologist

So today was the official start of the NHL Season..and the Leafs beat the Habs.

I think it was a huge mistake for Montreal to get rid of Halak. He was the reason they made it as far as they did in the playoffs. He's an excellent goalie and proved to be much better than the wildly inconsistent Price. I think Price is suffering from what I'm going to call Cam Ward syndrome. He's hyped about for a year and plays excellently, then after that, he starts to lose that edge and slips further and further. I think he's trying to come out of that now, but still. I think Montreal should've kept Halak and gotten rid of Price.

My Sens don't play until tomorrow, well I guess today, in the evening. Unfortunately, I'll be at my dad's and unable to watch the game. I'm hoping that Spezza will be playing. He suffered an injury yesterday and will be a game time decision. Kuba's out with a broken leg he suffered in training camp. That's a huge blow to us and he'll be out at least 3 more weeks...Hopefully our latest acquirement, Gonchar, will be able to help out. So far, I've liked him. I still miss Volchenkov and I haven't quite forgiven Brian Murray for not resigning him.

GO SENS GO!!!!

3. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

Axelsonfire - i watched part of that game...I was hoping Montreal would win. I have been rooting for them ever since they knocked Pittsburgh out of the playoffs last season. Hoping they repeat that this season.

I will be at the Wings game tonight! I cannot wait for our regular season to begin. I went to a few days of our training camp and went to 5 of our pre-season games. I was lucky to win a trip to Chicago that included flying with the team on their plane and see them play in the United Center. That weekend trip i won was incredible...as soon as I get it all typed up and on my blog I will post the link...tons of pics from the weekend!

4. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

Well I am not a Habs fan, but Carey Price having the Cam Ward Syndrome? Interesting comparison. Personally, I think they brought Price up a season to early and put to much on the shoulders of an inexperienced goaltender at the time. Plus it must be difficult with the Montreal media and fans all over your back. They are probably one of the top 5 crowds to please.

As for me? I am a Bruins fan, and curious to see how they will fair out this year. I too hope that Tukkaa Rask doesn't fall into the same category (CWS). He played a great season last year and was solid during then length of time Boston was in the playoffs.

And I am thrilled to see that Patrice Bergeron signed a 3 year contract extension with the Bruins.

5. Axelsonfire

Axelsonfire Pathologist

So the Sens won their first game last night. I was quite pleased. They finally decided to play as a team.

Anything I said above about Cam Ward should be discarded. Last night, he was excellent and was pretty much the only reason his team was in the game at all. Great effort from him.

On a bad note, our starting goalie Pascal Leclaire got injured about 2 1/2 minutes into the game. Something happened to his leg. It's not quite clear what caused it. Brian Elliot stepped up though and did mighty well. One thing that sucks about this is that we'll have to call up our goalie in the minors Lehner who just got his American Visa approved. Our other goalie in the minors Brodeur is concussed. It kind of sucks for Lehner and I feel bad.

6. CSI_Kat

Wings are 4-1-1 so far this season. They are not playing their best but they have a decent record so far. We do have a few out long term due to injuries.

I am enjoying having season tickets this year. Its been alot of fun!

7. CSI_Kat

Where are all my fellow hockey fans? Is everyone enjoying the season? I cannot believe its over 1/2 over already. Lets go Wings!

8. Axelsonfire

Axelsonfire Pathologist

Oh my, it's been awhile since I was here.

Anyway, my Sens have lost 9 games in a row :( I think our coach has lost his marbles. He keeps scratching Carkner, who has been one of our best defencemen all season, in favour of Kuba, who has been causing bad turnovers leading into goals by the other team. He also pulled our goalie Lehner the other day when we were playing the Wings when we were tied 4-4 and maybe one of the goals was Lehner's fault. It just didn't seem fair. Not to Lehner at least.

I'm really hoping they pull it together for the game tomorrow against Vancouver. I'm going to miss some of it because I'm going to a concert, but I'll try my hardest to get to see/hear the rest of it.

9. Otie

Otie Hit and Run

:: puts a bag over her head::

Hi... I'm a Leafs fan.

:lol:

So I guess you could say I'm a bit of a masochist... huh? Ah well - at least while you guys have hopes that could be dashed - I already know before the season even STARTS that my team doesn't have a chance! I still love them though.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  10. Axelsonfire

Axelsonfire Pathologist

Yes, I may hate your team with all my heart because, as a Sens fan, it's what I was born to do, BUT I have met some decent Leafs fans, so I am willing to give you a chance. Plus, you like CSI and you're here. You can't be all bad :p

So today was a kind of solemn day for the Sens in a way, but also really inspiring too. The teenage daughter of one of our assistant coach Luke Richardson commited suicide late last year and today (well, it's yesterday by now, but whatever) would have been her 15th birthday, so a whole group of people started this campaign called "Do It For Daron" and people could donate to our local mental hospital. They were selling t-shirts and bracelets, all in purple (Daron's favourite colour). They were also encouraging people to wear purple to raise awareness. It was really a touching movement.

I've always known that the Sens players are classy guys, but it was really shown earlier this year when they came home during a road trip to attend Daron Richardson's memorial service. The fact that they would take the time to go and do that for their assistant coach and former teammate really showed me that they really do care about everyone. Tons of fans also showed up, giving me faith in our fanbase. I really feel my team has some of the most amazing fans.

I also wish some of our guys would get twitter. There are TONS of Sens fans on Twitter. I follow at least 30 of them and I'm constantly seeing Sens related tweets when I'm on. It's really amazing and I wish the team would try to tap into this fanbase and see how dedicated some of these fans are. They might end up being inspired by a few of them.

Wow, this is a really long post. Anyway, Sens lost against Vancouver. 10 losses in a row. It's heartbreaking, but right now, I'm filled with hope for the future of this team.

11. Otie

Otie Hit and Run

Aye - the battle for Ontario is a strong one! But yup - I'm not all THAT bad.

That is beautiful what all those people are doing in her memory.

Youch... 10 losses in a row? That's almost Leafs bad. Normally your guys should be WAY ahead of my guys in the standings... I guess Ontario won't be representing this year, huh?

12. Axelsonfire

Axelsonfire Pathologist

It really was so touching and amazing :3

Nope. And the Sens won't be representing for awhile. We're officially in rebuild mode.

Today, the Sens traded Mike Fisher to the Nashville Predators for a 2011 first round draft pick and a conditional draft pick in 2012. I was overcome with shock when I heard and I actually had to take a few minutes to compose myself.

Mike Fisher has played for the Sens for 11 years now. He's always been a pretty steady player. Always trying his hardest. This season he's been a little worse than usual considering he was playing through a rather serious injury. He's always been a big community guy and a real heart and soul kinda player.

Given what I just said, it no wonder Nashville (and a few other teams apparently) were interested in him. The trade in and of itself is good for both parties. We have some draft picks to build the team and they get a good 2nd line-3rd line centre who shines in the post-season. Plus, it'll be good for the fanbase as Mr. Fisher is married to none other than country music superstar Carrie Underwood.

The Sens and the fans will miss him, there's no doubting that. He's been a part of the team for as long as I can remember and it'll be weird not seeing him anymore. Nashville's in the Western Conference so we don't play them much :( Fisher was a great player for us. His trade is like the equivalent to the Gretzky trade from Edmonton to many of us Sens fans.

13. Otie

Otie Hit and Run

We'd had a good team a number of years back, when we had Tucker, Roberts, Domi. Now, not so much. They've been trying to get a better team going, but it's slow going. They keep trying to grab a couple big names, when what they need to do is start with a bunch of fresh young kids who want it. I just hope I get to see them win the cup at least once in my lifetime... but the way things are going, I don't think my unborn children's grandkids will even get a chance to see the Leafs get the cup. ::smirk::

14. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Does Leafs still have that sucky Finnish goalie (Toskala I think, they keep moving and so many of them that hard to keep trck of) or did they get rid of him? Of course it's not just goalies fault if team keeps losing.

I've been so bad at followin any hockey this winter, our league, my fave team (last year's winner) is so deep down. So down.

And as for Finnish goalies... I'm sure soon almost half of the NHL teams have a Finnish goalie :p I think I saw yesterday in the sportsnews that Islanders has some new, young one who won yesterday and saved all in penalty shots in the end of the game. Ok..It was 2 days ago against Habs and here's one of his saves
    Koskinen saves

(ok, seriously, I've never heard of him.. I wonder if he is one of those who has gone to US at very young age to college to play hockey)

The latest I checked in a bit closer was a few weeks ago when there was lots of postings about S Koivu playing in Montreal for the first time after he left Habs.

Which comes to this.. man Koivu and Selänne are great together. Selänne is there where he has to be to make a goal (he is so great to follow, how he moves and how fast he is in that spot) and Koivu's passes and creating those situations. Of course when watching WC final in 1995 - I'm sure that Koivu moved bit faster and made turns with speed that cannot be done today by him :p (of course he was like 20 and 20kgs lighter :p )
    But last night. Selänne 1+3 and Koivu 2+1 against Flames.

15. gsrfan82

gsrfan82 Witness

I'm so very disappointed at my favorite team Pens, They got in really nasty fights, because of what happened last time in Pens vs Isles game on date of Feb 2nd, Pens won at shut-out score 3-0 over Isles, at end of that 3rd period. DiPietro pokechecked Cooke and Johnson saw that and came to fight and punched him right in the face, I was like ouch that gotta hurt. So next day, my friend of mine informed me that DiPietro was out due to that fight, which will sideline him for 4 to 6 weeks. I decided to read that article about that.

However, Isles vow a revenge on Pens for that hit on DiPietro and Comerau, and scored like 6-0 in first period against Pens, Because Pens was busy hitting the players, I was busy yelling at the tv, that Pens were careless at scoring but keep hitting and got in nasty fights last night. Sheesh! I was hoping that Pens needs to control their emotions next time if they face against isles. But Pens pride in myself has hunch that they may have sparked new rivalry against Isles. I recall Pens has too many rivalry teams like Red Wings, Rangers, Flyers and of course Capitals.

I gotta agree with Letang's comment about the last night game, which I read it while ago on Pens's official site.