"A Kiss Before Frying" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, Jan 14, 2011.

1. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I just finished watching it.

Hmmm let me say that Greg is awesome as the smitten guy who falls for the wrong girl.

Greg's attitude has changed, but he's still the vulnerable guy who everyone wants to protect, especially Nick. (that's for another thread ;) )

This started out as a good solid episode. The team trying to piece together why these guys were dying, who owned the truck etc...

But then it turned... I'm not sure what words can describe how it turned. Soapy? Personal? Tragic? Whatever but the ending was so over the top that I found myself laughing.

Dita Von Teese is gorgeous! She has a fantastic body but her acting is hmm again no words. She was okay.

To me, it's not a stretch to have women in that kind of work in Vegas. The money is good, and it's a lifestyle people can get sucked into. Cath can certainly attest to that.
    But the whole reasoning why just fell flat. I know CSI isn't about WHY per say, more about the who and the what, the where, etc.. but this case was more about the why. And the why was sort of lame.

The best part was the convo between Cath and Greg. As I mentioned, Cath knows the lifestyle so there for can spot the 'rotten ones'. And as it showed on his face, Greg knew it was the right thing to do by letting Ellen go and the cops taking her.

The 'I've loved you since Tuesday' remark had me cracking up. As a homage to the Film Noire scene, I get. But as a line in CSI, it was laughable. Sorry folks but that was just so overdone.

A fair episode, not the worst but not a great one either.

2. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

I kind of thought that when Greg talked about her smelling like peaches, it reminded me of back when he was in the lab and talking about the one girl's toes. :lol:

3. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Actually DJ, Nick was right, it is a dually. The dually refers to the four wheels in the back.

4. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

The episode itself was not all that good but I was just so happy to have a Greg-centric ep that I didn't care!! I loved it for that alone. It wasn't a horrible ep, but it wasn't among the best either. It was funny and sometimes downright silly but hey it was showcasing Greg's style.

I agree that it was un-CSI like but I still enjoyed it.

I was also glad that Greg didn't get burnt literally! He got his poor heart broken and was almost shot but...

My fave line was at the end: "Catherine, why do the rotten ones smell so good"?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  5. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

As did I! :lol:

I think he was saying "dually" as in a dually truck which has the four tires in the back like the tracks they kept finding. :)

ETA: Sorry...I responded to DJ before reading the rest of the posts. Doh! :lol:

6. waiting4summer

waiting4summer Police Officer

Goodness, I can't believe how many posts were made since I left last night. It took me awhile to read them all. :lol:

I think it was Praetor who mentioned Casablanca. That last scene at the bus station was soooo Casablanca. Greg did the right thing at the end by not letting Ellen leave, just like Bogie did when he let his love leave on the airplane. I haven't watched the movie in a long time, but I wonder if the "I've loved you since Tuesday" line somehow has its roots in that oldie, but goodie? Anyone out there a die hard Casablanca fan?

7. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I watched 3 minutes of this episode online and was bored to death.

NEXT!

8. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

Speedy and Smokey...perhaps there are different names for these vehicles in different areas....I dunno. I've always known them as tandem trucks. I can't recall anyone up this way calling them dually's. The cousins parents own a tracker trailer mechanic shop and to them, these types of trucks, big or small, are considered tandems.

but that was only a minor issue. :lol:

One thing I was wondering though, when Greg was talking to the bartender looking for information on.....I can't remember his name, why didn't he just produce his badge? Did I miss something along the way? Or was he trying to be subtle about the whole thing?

Me too. I almost felt like yelling at the television "Don't let her leave, arrest her already", but was also relieved to see Cath and the cops show up...just in time.

9. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

One thing I thought of last night, but forgot to mention: When they showed the picture of Agnes' death (with her head severed from her body), did that remind anyone else of the whole Black Dahlia thing?

10. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

I was expecting him to pull out the badge, not cash, at first. It wasn't really an official investigation though, so maybe he thought he shouldn't, or was trying to be subtle.

11. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

I was thinking it was because he was not there on official business and that is why he did it. Plus it added to the whole Film Noir thing.

12. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

Die hard fan, right here! (I love me some Ingrid Bergman)

You're right. The whole scene does seem very Casablanca. The "I've loved you since Tuesday" line as Ellen is being dragged away has echos of Ilsa's "We'll always have Paris" line as she boards the plane. A sort of sad memory of a happier time. Cath and the cops showing up is similar to Captain Renault arriving at the end to catch Ilsa and Laszlo. Of course, Cath actually caught her target. And the final talk between Greg and Cath, and their lines of "I can always tell the rotten ones," and "Why do the bad ones always smell so good," could be seen as similar to Rick and Renault's "I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship," as both Cath and Renault have the authority and responsibility to punish Greg and Rick, but choose not to.

But that is my own interpretation. God I love noir! :lol:

I didn't think of that, but it does! Except Agnes was decapitated while the Black Dahlia was... detorsoficated? What's the technical term for being sliced in half? Eviscerate?

13. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

DJ, must be a Canadian thing. ;)

Yes, the pics reminded me of the Black Dahlia as well.

And I wondered too why Greg didn't use his ID to get the info, but you're all right...he wasn't there on official business. But then in that case, stealing a glass to get a fingerprint wasn't exactly kosher either. :lol:

14. byline

byline CSI Level One

I was just able to watch it last night. I liked the first half of the episode, but felt the writers didn't do such a great job with the second half. The gal playing Greg's love interest is beautiful, and perfect in an "old-school Hollywood" sort of way. She reminded me a lot of Julie Adams (whom I remember from "Creature from the Black Lagoon"): http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsA/64-4028.gif

Anyway, all the pieces seemed right for a sort of "film noir" homage, and maybe that's why the ending was written as it was, in a somewhat sappy way. Not terribly believable, but if I don't take it too seriously, then it's OK . . . but could've been better.

Still, I'm happy to see Greg getting so much screen time. For a character who was shoved off on the sidelines for so long, he's finally getting his well-deserved due.

Evisceration is disembowelment. Would severing someone at the torso be bisection (which includes decapitation)? Bleh, lovely topic! But of course we are talking about "CSI" after all.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  15. Zipster

Zipster Witness

3 minutes? Did that include the 1 minute for the theme music :lol: