Grade 'Holding Cell'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Jan 14, 2011.

?

How would you grade Holding Cell?

1. A+

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. A

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. A-

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. B+

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. B

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. B-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. C+

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  10. D+

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

That whole scene was way too long and gratuitous. But is it sad that, during that bit, all I could think was, 'This is pretty much the closest any of the CSIs get to actual gay representation?' The franchise has had a few Gay Cases over the years, but this network fails at acknowledging the fact that gay people* just, you know, exist (if their sexuality is not relevant to the plot in some way). :shifty: I can think of maybe one example from CSI:NY where a person was gay for no strategic reason whatsoever. (I could be forgetting something, obviously, but there are 6 1/2 seasons worth of episodes, many of them with 2 cases, and my brain can't remember everything. ;))

It's not just gay people that are underrepresented, of course, but that scene brought it to the forefront of my mind.

*and LGBT individuals in general

2. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

F... unlike the previous week, this episode did nothing but bore me and put me to sleep.
    And like others have said, while some insight into the personal lives of the characters is good, this is first and foremost a crime show. Not a soap opera.
    THe cases should be first and foremost, not the personal lives of the characters.

3. tobinhr

tobinhr Hit and Run

Club scenes were much too long and gratuitous. I would have found it more believeable if Lindsay had said Lucy's caretaker was teaching her Spanish. The case was OK...a bit over the top...but OK. Couldn't it just have been a "normal" family and not the Spanish diplomat? Or would that have made it more tedious?

And there is so much hair gel in Flack's hair the gray bits were sparkling! He's either morphing into that vampire guy or trying for a spot on "Jersey Shore." Ugh!

Tobin

4. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

And Jo also of course:rolleyes:

5. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Lori K., you've already been warned once for your constant flaming of characters/trolling in threads. It's time to knock it off.

6. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

that crossed my mind too, how after marrying someone could you not know something like that?!

couldn't agree more - it's a real shame that (a) gay people (and LGBT more generally) are so underrepresented and also (b) that whenever they are represented it seems to be in a way that's kind of seedy - either their gay lifestyle has impacted the crime somehow (which really sends out a horrible message, as if gay people are somehow gay by choice and therefore utterly free of morals) or like in this ep where it was just titillation in a club scene, y'know, along the lines of katy perry or something "oh hey, girls, if you want to get laid, make out with another girl and all the boys will love you" - it's pathetic, and kind of offensive too.

7. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

Excuse me? The comment I made reference too is allowed to state an opinion if it is Lindsay but if I feel the same about Jo that is off limits? And why are my contributions "Trolling"? Because you dont care for the content I get reprimanded?

8. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Have you actually seen the episode or are you just stopping by with gushy SMACKED comments and taking a swipe at Jo because she replaced Stella? If you've got on topic comments that, you know, pertain to the episode, by all means, please share them. But lately it does seem like you're just hanging around to make sure everyone knows that you're not happy about Stella's departure. We get it. But if you're going to contribute here, actually make on topic contributions and not just drive-by swipes.

9. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I agree. It wasn't at all necessary to even include it since Miguel didn't die at the club. The club would have been seen anyway when Danny and Flack went to pay a visit.

For some reason Lindsay knowing some Spanish didn't annoy me as much as how nearly the whole cast spoke another language in Communication Breakdown. Although I thought it was weird that she knew some random proverb.

10. Robin

Robin Prime Suspect

I found the club scene girls licking on each other to be offensive. Pure male fantasy.

I also wonder...wouldn't all that alcohol in the air burn people's eyes?

11. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

LOL seriously - if the actor speaks the language, I can see the temptation to utilize that (such as Emmanuelle speaking French), but a line has to be drawn somewhere. Flack speaking Irish was so odd. I don't know the statistics for how many people are multilingual in a place like NYC, though...

(The thing that really bugged me about that episode was the fact that it was like 'LOOK THERE ARE A LOT OF DIVERSE PEOPLE IN NYC....AND NOW THIS EPISODE IS OVER BACK TO THE RICH WHITE PEOPLE LOL' :shifty:)

12. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

I wondered about the stingy alcohol as well. The club scene was long but I wasn't offended per ce, I have scene equally obnoxious scenes on Miami. Just take it with the rest of the show

13. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

As a matter of fact I was home so yes I did watch, how else would I have known about yet another talent of the never ending marvels of Jo Danville? I scanned my offensive post and dont find any referance to Smack in it, which yes you are right I adore by the way:adore: ( which seems to offend you, I thought I was allowed to have a favorite ship if I wanted:confused:)As far as swiping at "Jo" because she "replaced Stella" we were told she didnt "replace" Stella. And although I am not happy with Melinas departure it cant be blamed fully for my dislike for Jo. That would be to easy for all Jos adoring fans to swallow. Fact is I dont like her and I dont agree with you and the other Sela worshippers any more than I agree with those who carry there love for Lindsay on there sleeve (dont like her either):lol: I gave her a shot in the beginning and I feel they have written this character as obnoxius and no matter what she walks on water:rolleyes: Constant mention of her botox beauty and her southern charm grows old really really fast and when it is constantly mentioned and she knows everthing about everything it is like a flawed product trying to get a top rated pitch. First thing that comes to my mind usually in this kind of situation is why are they trying so hard to sell? I think I could have liked her better if they didnt try to sell her every episode. Of course when you are of a different opinion you cant see it which is fine we get it. As far as my on topic contribution to this episode I was trying to keep it short with my post above but if you want the rest... Lindsay also knows everything and the Lucy/spanish reference was a pain in my arse. I'm sick and tired of the Messer/Monroe mosh pit and Jo and her "mother of the year" moments as if because she said she would hug her kid the lady would never have thought of that on her own:rolleyes: What the hell has happened to this "crime" show? ....The beer licking segments didnt help much either someone needs to go to a backroom and relieve themselves:rolleyes:

14. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I just don't think that Jo offering the mom advice based on crime solving would've helped her much. Yes it's a crime show but these are people and Jo just said to her the only thing she could as a mom and a human being to someone who had lost her husband and son in a terrible manner and only had her daughter from there on. I think it was a crude way of letting us know that there are things that simply are not in our control and sometimes the only thing we can do is be there and show we care.

15. ruby&theheadmen

ruby&theheadmen Lab Technician

Well, the talk of 150 years ago, can be quite appropriate and even necessary, since those who share and and agree with some of the opinions of 150 years ago ALSO live in the year 2011 as well. :) They have those opinions because they have learned that some of those conclusions of the past actually were accurate and would be advantageous to many, if they were put into effect today!:thumbsup:

Things change because individuals first see and decide that something is harmful to others and then get the society around them to concede to this fact- the retort that :"if you don't like it, you don't have to do it," is eventually silenced after societies do a reality check and decide that degeneracy is not what is helpful to the society as a whole....