Eric/Calleigh storyline -- why we dislike it. Part 2 **spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Yeah I remember reading some fans bragging about staying up all night voting continuously non-stop to stuff these types of online voting sites. It's like some kind of test of how much you are devoted to E/C. You can vote on this CBS bracket challenge over and over again.

I'm also seeing what I knew we'd see eventually as the Sunday night move and the football push backs started taking their toll on the ratings ... claims that the ratings are suffering because E/C has been substantially reduced and is currently in limbo.

So of course once Procter has her baby and the show comes back from the holidays some are hoping that E/C is again the focus of the show. Because football will no longer be messing with the show and there is a good chance the ratings will start to recover. If they do they can make it look like E/C is the reason and hopefullly the media will give E/C the credit. If not, they can say it was simply too late to save it from all the damage done from E/C not being there the first part of the season.

IMO, the episodes from the first part of this season have been some of the best this show has ever seen. The entire team has been involved and the stories and victims/perps have been interesting with interesting backstories.

E/C will only take us back to the worse kind of soap opera. I sincerely hope that MJ's faith in TPTB being smarter than that is well placed.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  2. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

Oh man, if people start blaming lack of E/C for the low ratings, I think I'll hurl. :scream: I mean - HELLO - they're on SUNDAY AT 10 P.M. (or 10-ish lately :rolleyes: ) - pushed back by football, w/the lead-ins being mediocre reality shows. It's a crap timeslot that hasn't been helped by the football delays.

Seriously, an episode was CANCELED last week and there's a lost episode out there and it aint b/c of lack of E/C - it's b/c of the stupid timeslot! How can anyone even think about blamin lack of E/C on this - UGH :brickwall: I guess "love is blind" - especially when it comes to E/C. :rolleyes:

Oh, and another point - LONG before E/C there was...CSI:MIAMI, the "NORMAL YEARS" when they were the #1 show in the world - WITHOUT E/C. (Oh to go back to a world of CSI:Miami w/out E/C... :beer: )

We certainly had a valid case w/what we've been saying since this nomance started - there was no reason for the ratings drop except that people did not like the direction the show was going - it dropped in Season 7, and that's when the nomance was coming on in full force. :rolleyes:

Now, it's like there's all this stuff working against the show, and E/C fans are ready to jump on the low ratings and make it their rally cry. :rolleyes:

And the Favorite Miami moment? Oh please - I can't BELIEVE Speed's death LOST to the "kiss"! :wtf: Maybe if they made it a REAL VOTE (like only being able to vote once), then we'd see what the TRUE favorite scene is...:scream: Some of us have better things to do than to stay up all night voting... :rolleyes:

3. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

I personally hated the E/C storyline the same reason I've hated it on other crime shows where they've done it like The Mentalist,Law & Order SVU (first season) and Without A Trace. Yes you have to have some drama on the crime shows but when they do the hookup route, the cases and other characters end up taking a back seat to the drama surronding said hookup. In its final season, Without A Trace simply focused on whether or not Jack and Sam would end up together,everything else was pointless.
    IMO, this season of CSI Miami has been the first enjoyable one in a while, and one of the reasons is they finally dumped the pointless E/C storyline. CSIS are not soap operas and I believe that if it had been kept where it was, CSI Miami would have shown an increase in ratings over the past couple of years.

4. Miamikiller

Miamikiller Dead on Arrival

Lol...get ready babe as soon as Emily comes back, EC will be back AHAHAHAHAH (evil laugh)...sorry ;p

5. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

:scream:The new floating time slot may bring it down, but the return of the nomance will finish it off. Enjoy it while we can, whenever and wherever we can find it.

6. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Excellent advice, inthewind ... as always! :)

7. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Did anyone else find it interesting that in the video of the cast celebrating 200 episodes, and sharing their favorite moments of the past 7 seasons, neither Procter or Rodriguez selected an E/C nomance moment as their "favorite moment"? ;)

8. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I found it interesting. I thought Emily would have chosen the infamous "Kiss" scene.

9. INACTIVEQuinn Fabray

INACTIVEQuinn Fabray Lab Technician

That seems strange... hmm... Perhaps there is hope afterall! :D ~crosses fingers~ Thanks for posting that info!

10. slower

slower Lab Technician

Has anyone been following that stupid "Bracket Challenge"?:rolleyes: Since you can vote multiple times, I guess they are staying up all night to vote. I have better things to do. The kiss; come on.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: It was so sophmorish, no chemistry, and I wanted to gag. If it beats out a quality scene like Alexx's departure; I will know for sure what direction they want the show to go; in the toilet.

I have so enjoyed this year without the nomance and all its drama. The ratings have steadily increased; despite football and I beleive fans who departed because of the nomace are returning. There has been some quality episodes and I have started enjoying Calleigh and Eric again. Lets hope TPTB doesn't put too much stock into this vote/challenge.

11. Court

Court Prime Suspect

I know, I just saw the results and said "OMFG." :rolleyes: There is no sane way in hell that the E/C drool-all-over each other kiss scene is better or memorable than Speed's funeral. To even suggest as much is sacrilege. :scream: I've given up on the CBS website. I don't even care what the outcome is now.

12. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

Someone (I think it was Delynn) mentioned that its likely the E/C fans spamming the votes. It reminds me of how Avril Lavigne fans spammed Youtube to make one of her videos the most watched of all time.

13. greatfan

greatfan Captain

The fans admitted to voting hour after hour.Some bragged that they could vote several hundred times hour."The Kiss" couldn't stand on it's own merit .

14. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

You're right, greatfan. The kiss couldn't stand on it's own and they know it. That is the reason for the campaign to skew the poll and make it "appear" that poor excuse for a "kiss" was somehow the most important moment on CSI Miami. It's really an insult to the show when you think about it. This show has been reduced, by some, from an interesting, compelling crime, forensic drama to a kiss that the worst soap opera wouldn't find acceptable. :rolleyes:

Some are STILL admitting to voting repeatedly - non-stop to force the outcome they want. They make no effort to hide it and those who do it are proud of their committment to the cause and "wear" their efforts like a medal.

The funny part of the whole thing is that even as they admit they are purposely campaigning and participating in skewing the voting, they are using the "vote" to brag that this means there are a huge number of E/C fans out there. Twisted logic to be sure.

It's the same logic that brags that the number of "views" on any given thread is representative of the number of fans on that topic. It's rubber-necking for the most part that increases the views. People want to see what's being said - they are NOT participating in the discussion. The number of posts is much more indicative of interest in a topic and the number of people who support the topic of the thread.

The "huge number of E/C fans" are a few E/C fans voting over and over again non-stop. It's not in any way a method of seriously determining the real number of E/C fans OR the number of fans who are nauseous at the very thought of E/C. Most of the fans who don't like E/C don't spend all of their time voting against the nomance - I simply have better things to do and the nomance is certain NOT a reason for me to get up in the morning as some apparently feel.

As an American I was raised with one person - one vote (For the record - I have NOT voted in the CBS poll and I don't vote in any poll that allows multiple voting.). That's what I stick to. The fact that a site may allow mulitple voting doesn't make it right and tells the story about how interested the pollsters are about getting a TRUE feeling on the topic they're asking people to vote on. Allow people to vote over and over again - you could care less what the result of the poll is - it's intended to keep the kids busy and out of their face. It's a diversion to keep those who aren't happy with a given storyline happy - for the moment.

I'm also smart enough to know that it's a waste of time to vote in any poll posted on the CBS site. The skewed voting is common practice on the CBS site and in no way represents a realistic picture of how fans really feel about any given topic on CSI Miami - or any other show. The people who manage the boards can determine with little or no effort at all that the numerous "votes" are by the same people. They're not going to be dumb enough to just look at the total alone.

The re-emergence of E/C would simply destroy the significant progress CSI Miami has made this season in re-establishing what this show is all about. Crime, the victim, science and the "Team" - all of them, not just two members.

I'm not stupid enough to dismiss the possibility that E/C may again be forced upon us. But, as with the claim that the Internet campaign was responsible for bringing Rodriguez back, any claim that a mindless poll that was easily skewed would be responsible for E/C rearing its ugly head again is simply TPTB stroking fans trying to get them to keep watching. In the end I have no doubt that TPTB do what they want and any "campaign" is simply a source of entertainment for them at how pathetic we as fans can get. It's really insulting to the fans how easily TPTB think we can be manipulated. Then again, we keep proving how right they are and how easy some of us can really be!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  15. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

:guffaw:You're on target with your points here, Delynn. The primary objective of any of these polls is simply to generate interest, to keep the viewers coming back to the site. Like the loss leader in the supermarket, the hope is always that the viewer will stick around and investigate other offerings.

CBS, or any other site offering multiple-vote options, has absolutely no interest in the outcome, beyond its immediate benefit of drawing in fans to their site, keeping the pot stirred and, in the long run, creating and/or increasing viewership of their various shows. It's not for their entertainment, though. It serves their purpose. It's an internet marketing tool, not unlike running full episodes of many shows after the initial tv debut or promoting contests.

Only the oblivious would believe the results of any of these polls are an accurate barometer of the wishes of the majority of viewers, any more than a loss leader item that sells out is indicative of the popularity of that item. Again, just a marketing tool to generate interest.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, EVERYONE!