Grade 'Sangre Por Sangre'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by vegaslights, Oct 15, 2010.

?

How would you grade Sangre Por Sangre?

1. A+

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. A

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. A-

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. B+

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  5. B

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. B-

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  7. C+

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  8. C

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Four weeks in to the new season! Give the episode a watch and let us know what you thought. :)

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I wasn't paying close attention during the whole episode. It was...a little boring, to be honest.

Loved Adam, though. :p Jo had some good stuff. I liked Flack's reaction after the shooting in the car. It's not that I didn't like Mac's interaction with Luther, but it was all kind of slow and didn't hold my attention.

3. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Yep, it was a little boring until the shootout. I'm not really a fan of gang-related episodes. The rest of the episode starting from the shooout with Flack until the end was pretty good.

The :thumbsup:
    - It was pretty intense - guns, bombs and betrayal.
    - Jo was toned-down a bit. Don't get me wrong, I love Jo. I just don't want NY to commit the same mistake LV is having with Ray Langston.
    - Flack in action.
    - Spanish people. I missed them on the show.
    - The case was good. This is the type where you know from the start who did it all without ruining the story telling.
    - Season 1 feel.

The :rolleyes:
    - The splitscreens! Leave it to the Miami department!
    - The whole thing happened only in 12 hours! Too many happened to be just squeezed in a half-day. Leave this also to the Miami department. I remember the fatest murder case the team solved was in 'Death House' - less than half-day but all they did was to play a tape and look for some old documents. Most NY episodes happened for maybe 2-3 days. I always like seeing the day and night passing by on the show.
    - Of course Mac didn't call for back-up to arrest Luther. He's Superman!

A-

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  4. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I did not like the split screens either.
    A gang story-line could have been so much better. It was nice to see some of the gang violence addressed on the show, but I didn't think the episode was all that great - I gave it a C.

5. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

Hmm, I found the split screens pretty cool, but that's just me. I gave it a B- however because the episode was boring. I do not enjoy gang episodes and the end was pretty lame. I don't know, I think they were trying to make it cool and all, but the story wasn't strong enough and the old man being the killer of the gang was dumb.

As y'all know I am a Mac gal, but he even bored me with his chats with the gang boss. And the goofy face Mac made during the explosion cracked me up, then his reaction to his gunshot. He acted like it was nothing, just a flesh wound. Despite all that I do hope people make screencaps because some scenes were quite nice ;)

I wish Adam and Sheldon had been on more. They need to have a Sheldon episode. He is my 3rd favorite character and he's almost a ghost so far this season.

Lastly, I like Sid's new haircut. He looks more modern and better.

6. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

Hmm, I thought it was a very good episode. The gangster out of prison, allegedly espousing peace seemed a reference to Al Pacino in Carlito's Way. And it was certainly better than the blatant shoot-em-up which was the episode about the IRA.

Olmos has a "slow" acting style. Has ever since Miami Vice. You don't get a lot of fast talk and running from him. Makes for a different kind of gangster.

Appeared to refer to the closing scenes of Enter the Dragon, where you weren't exactly sure where you actually were.

7. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Lackluster of a storyline, but once again the episode had great character moments. Still loving Jo, and I'm not sure if it was intentional, but the frowning faces she stuck to the photos cracked me up. :lol:

Flack had some fun (and deadly!) scenes, and Adam got a decent amount of screen time tonight, too.

C.

8. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

Considering what Jack Bauer can do in 24 hours, I don't think this is that far-fetched!:lol:

If one man can stop a gigantic multi-layered terrorist conspiracy in 24 hours, I think our CSI heroes can stop a gang war in 12 hours!:p

Oh this is hardly anything, at least Mac can bleed and be injured. Horatio is the real superman, Mac is a mere mortal compared to what Horatio Caine has been able to get away with!

Mac may have gone after the killer by himself, but at least it's not like when Horatio escaped a point-blank range rocket launcher hit that blew up his hummer and he somehow still stood in front of the shooter seconds later with not a scratch on him, not even a strand of hair out of place nor a speck of dust on him as he pointed his gun calmly at the bad guy who had this expression: :wtf:

I say Horatio wins the "superman" title hands down:guffaw:

Although I did have a moment of curiosity if Mac was practicing to be the next Horatio Caine with the whole split-screen and the one liner before the title sequence! :D

---------------------------------

I like this episode, it is slow, but for once, I enjoy that they aren't making everything so fast-paced or action packed, having a slow episode every once in a while is good.

Edward James Olmos is still the man! GO ADAMA! SO SAY WE ALL!;)

All the action was done very well too!

I really like how NY is bouncing back from that dreadful last season! It's like a cloud has been lifted from NY and they have been refreshed and re-energized. They're going back to their roots again! Good for them!:cool:

9. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

The most boring episode of the season so far. I seriously kept almost falling asleep.

The split screens annoyed the heck out of me.

What was up with Flack's hair? It looked odd.

Adam: What do you know about fishzilla?
    Sheldon: Sounds like the name of a bad monster movie. :lol:

Did Lindsay melt latex gloves? Isn't there an easier way to get the print off the wallboard?

Luther was the killer? That is way too predictable.

Why did Mac go there without backup?

10. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

So, I've gotten a little behind on the eps, and if this comes across like two episode reviews in one, that's why; but I'm pretty sure I'm all caught up.

(Although I'm going to get this out now: that glued-by-hip thing they're still doing with DL? I can wait to watch that. I really, really can. It's certainly not the reason the show's kind of fallen to my backburner these last two weeks, but it doesn't exactly have me crying over missing out, either.)

That said, last night's ep does have me a little pissed over missing out -- I liked it better than 7.03, which is cool because 7.03 was otherwise fairly kick-ass as well and I didn't think it would be easily topped. It's not that the gang-story was so much of a novelty -- I've seen it done on other shows -- but I think it's been a while since NY did a gang-related story that went into the details of how the neighbourhoods worked and the dynamics of the group; I thought that bit was well done, and impressively solid. There were a few cliches and way-too-obvious red herrings, and the Grand Villain Tell-all Speech at the end was a little much, but the whole ep pretty much kept me guessing on the whodunnit almost till the very last 15 minutes. Obligatory note: I didn't read the spoilers for this ep, don't know if this would've been different if I had -- but I'm naming it a success 'cause it's been a while since an NY episode kept me guessing like that.

I think 7.03 was overall more well-written, and the story in that ep resonated with me way more -- 7.04 I think relied a bit heavily on the action sequences. Don't care, though :p -- I loooovvve that scene where Flack and Hazel Ortega got shot at in the car. It still worked. I have to agree with a few other comments here, so far S7 seems to be a huge improvement over S6, in most ways, anyway. To me it seems like a lot more thought's been going into the mystery aspect, which is fun. And the forensic aspect, too, which is even more fun (that thing Lindsay did with the latex gloves? :lol: Love!); a lot of the lab-interactions and tricks from the last several episodes have reminded me of S2-S4.

I'm glad there also seems to be a more concerted effort to have the entire team in the eps this season -- seriously glad by this, as in this close to cheering and doing cartwheels :lol: Sid was love in 7.03 and was even briefly out of the morgue again in 7.04, this I find to be incredible because...well seriously, how long has it been? I liked the way Jo talked Hazel down in the ER; good character moments in general in this one. Adam has a shady side, which I totally knew already, but loved seeing confirmed again :lol: Someday they're going to have to explain how he knows all these guys who know guys.

ETA: Ooh, grade. Um, B+.

11. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

:lol: I agree, Horatio is still the Superman. He can shoot 10 people in an instant without any of those 10 men shooting back or injuring him!

12. electra

electra Pathologist

Last week was so awesome that I decided to give it a try.But despite of how good Flack scene with Hazel was and how enjoyable Adam and Sid were( as usual).,the episode was boring.Hopefully the next will be better.Oh and more Jo,please.Sela Ward is amazing.

13. spunky86

spunky86 Hit and Run

I liked the episode but still gave it a c- for it's stereotypical portrayal of Hispanic people.:scream: It's bad enough that we in the Black and Hispanic communitees in NYC have to deal with racial profiling on a daily basis, we don't need CSI NY giving us a bad name.:scream: The only part that was real to me in the whole Spanish Harlem scene were the dirty looks the team got, I know that's how I look at the cops as a Black woman and how my friends and other people of color who live in the five boroughs look at cops. Luther's comment about trigger happy cops ahooting a child eating a choclate bar on his stoop was classic, but real. What I wouldn't mind is CSI NY doing an episode in which Mac, Flack, Danny or Lindsey shot a Black or Spanish kid walking down the street with a snicker bar in his hand and they thought he or she had a gun and then realized how wrong they were for assuming that he/she had a gun because they were Black or Spanish.

My next issuse is with Super Mac. The man get's shot in the arm and still has the strength to put a bullet in Luther's chest?! :rolleyes: Can this man get seriously injured and just lay in a hospital bed for an entire episode? it's the same thing with Horitio, just that Horitio isn't as judgemental and sanctimonious as Mac and he's way more supportive of his team than Mac.

The good parts of the episode were the glimpses of the very sexy Hawkes.

P.S. To TPTB, we know Lindsey and Danny are married can you stop reminding us now?

14. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I don't have a problem at all with the fact that they decided to create a Hispanic gang. NYC has various gangs into organized crime - and they are of all races. The neighborhoods are often ethnic, the Italians all live together, Puerto Ricans live together, Chinese, Vietnamese, Greeks do. It's the reason they call them Little Italy, Spanish Harlem, Chinatown, etc..

Most murders are usually gang/drug related and CSI: NY does not reflect that at all. There was an Italian gang (Season 1), A faction of the IRA (Season 3), and in Season 5, in "Enough" with the dead drug dealers. I'm thinking there may have been an episode with an Asian gang as well - but I could be thinking of another show.

They in no way implied that all Hispanic people are in gangs. There is however a higher percentage of Hispanic people who do join gangs than other races.
    According to the Department of Justice
    I don't remember seeing any D/L scenes.

15. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Rookie

I liked this episode. It kept me interested, even though I figured most of it out early on.

The not-so-good:

1. I'm not fond of foreshadowing. I don't like seeing something dramatic happening and then having to back up hours or days to show what gets us to that point. I don't read spoilers either. They ruin it for me. So, obviously, I didn't like the beginning. It gave too much away.

2. I don't like split screens generally. It takes too much effort to see what's going on in both places and I usually miss something. Since I watched while recording I could back it up and see both scenes separately this time, but it's still a pain.

The good:

1. I loved how every character was in this episode and no one overshadowed the others. Jo wasn't overemphasized this time.

2. The bit where Lindsay melted the gloves was clever. But surely the lab has a better way to get liquid latex.

3. Edward James Olmos did a beautiful job playing Luther Devarro.

Question: After the shooting of Hazel Ortega when Mac talks to Luther in the alley, Mac says, "An officer was shot today and a civilian wounded." At least that's what I heard when I played it back. What officer was shot? Flack? He waved off the EMT saying, "I'm good." It didn't look like he was injured, no blood or anything. Did I mishear that? Was it "An officer was shot at today?