It's Official! Sela Ward Joins CSI: NY!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by vegaslights, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Ballettmaus

Ballettmaus Hit and Run

I hope her acting is better than she looks like. Because she looks like she's blending in, very smooth and very much like Lindsay and they made Lindsay a pretty bland character during the last seasons. I didn't even notice until afterwards when she wasn't in an episode in season 6.
    I'm not saying either are bad actresses or bashing them in any way. To me MK had character because she was foreign, so she was instantly eye catching in a way on a picture. I'd remember her. Sela Ward looks very plain compared to her and Lindsay already is very plain. I'm glad they didn't get a Stella copy but they now have two of the same types of women on the show... and they plan on making her emotional like Stella... I'm not a fan of that.

2. Andromeda

Andromeda Police Officer

Good luck to Sela! I haven´t seen much of her yet, but sounds like she is a good choice for joining CSI:NY. I´m wishing her that she won´t suffer from dull stories like Stella´s character did very much in the end.

3. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I've been mulling this around for a while...
    My immediate response to Melina's departure was to boycott CSI NY. Never watch again. I mean how could they not give her a decent salary? And again, no offense to Anna/Lindsay, and keep Anna? She must not be making as much as Melina? An I'm pretty sure Gary Sinise didn't take a pay cut. So WHY bother? Why watch a show that didn't value a smart, intelligent and good actress?

Then they made the announcement Sela Ward is coming aboard.

I love Sela, she also falls into that intelligent actress category.

My question is... how can they afford to pay her if Melina wouldn't take a cut in salary? Is Sela working for less? That's what's throwing me about this.
    And... they sure secured her quickly. There must have been some other driving force behind Melina's decision to leave, otherwise, why almost a day later does CBS announce Sela's spot on CSI NY?

Sorry for the coffee fueled rant.....

I will have to say, I do want to see how they write Stella out and Sela's character in. So my initial protest has gone by the waste side... for now.

4. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

CBS is now confirming what was first bandied about yesterday: CSI: NY has tapped Emmy winner Sela Ward to replace departing original cast member Melina Kanakaredes. Per CBS, Ward will play “an experienced investigator from Washington, D.C., whose work is driven by her empathy for the victim.” She’ll make her first appearance in the season 7 premiere this fall (remember: NY is moving to Fridays at 9 p.m./ET).
    “We are delighted to have Sela joining CSI: NY,” gushed exec producer Pam Veasey in a statement. “With the exciting stories planned for season 7, she’ll be a dynamic addition to the cast and the team.”
    “I am thrilled to be working with Gary [Sinise] and this terrific group of people,” added Ward. “I’m a huge fan.”
    As reported yesterday, Kanakaredes opted to move on rather than sign a new contract with the show. I’m told, however, that her departure was not related to a pay cut.
    Thoughts? Is Ward a worthy successor to Kanakaredes? My opinion: Hell, yes!

-Ausiello Files

Everyone seems to be assuming it was a pay cut because the Ausiello Files mentioned it at one point - but now that has been changed, it's possible there were other reasons Melina decided to leave.

5. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Hey! For those who haven't seen Sela Ward yet in any TV show or movie (like me :lol:), TNT is airing her movies 'The Guardian' at 12 pm and 'The Fugitive' 2:30pm this Saturday July 17. Also later that day, Bravo has mini marathon of her appearances on 'House', starting 6:00pm. All eastern time.

I've been checking up on some other sites and forums. I'm glad some will start to check out CSI: NY for Sela Ward. It's a good sign. Although, some will stop watching because of Melina's exit. Looks like this is NY's version of LF replacing WP!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  6. Tequesta

Tequesta Rookie

I think Sela will be a good fit-I remember when she was in House a few years back, and those were some really good episodes, so I can't wait to see how this plays out next season :)

7. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

She was really good in House!
    I will miss Stella, and the wonderful relationship she had with Mac. I'm hoping it will be like CSI Vegas where we got little mentions of Grissom here and there. Who knows, maybe Melina will come back as a guest star in a future episode. When Aidan left in s2, I thought that was it, but she did come back in 'Heroes'. Obviously I wouldn't want Stella to come back only to be killed off, but it'd be great if Mac asked for her help on a case or something. Jorja Fox returned to CSI after her character had 'left' more than once.

I think there will be a big gap on the show without Melina, and I can't believe that my favourite 'Lady of CSI' is leaving, but I'll watch the show as long as Gary is there.

I hope Melina gets to do some tv stuff or movies now, as well as spend time with her family. I am sure she will stay in contact with her friends on the NY cast and crew.

8. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Only recognized her when someone mentioned "House" days ago, but have seen her in "The Guardian" and "The Day After Tomorrow", too. She was great in those, and while I didn't much like Stacy in House, she was definitely well-performed.

...I still don't know how she'll measure up as a "replacement" for Stella, but if that term is avoided altogether and they don't even try to make her a replacement -- but rather, an entirely new presence (maybe like Quinn. Bonus points if they tie in some kind of backstory between her character and either Mac or one of the others, or even Sinclair or Gerrard; because that might jumpstart a connection that'll make her feel less "new") -- I could see myself warming up to her a lot. I wish there'd be a little bit of a gap between Stella's disappearance and her appearance, though, in order for the team to actually feel the effects of Stella being gone.

9. Ballettmaus

Ballettmaus Hit and Run

I guess that happened off-screen... which is a pity. Because I think it would also be easier for fans... Any immediate appearance and connection with the team makes it seem more like Stella is forgotten which isn't fair to either MK or Sela Ward.
    I would like to see her introduced slowly and not have an instant connection because everyone always has an instant connection. I liked how Lindsay was introduced, hated how Ray Langston was introduced on CSI. They tried to make him a second Grissom and it backfired.
    I hope they're smart enough on CSI NY not to do the same. Though making Ward driven by empathy for the victims doesn't suggest that they won't do the same (and during season six I vowed to never use smart and CSI NY in the same sentence again ;) )

10. nel2h

nel2h CSI Level One

I miss Stella very much. She was a big lady. I think the Sela a good choice is.

11. ragincajun

ragincajun Prime Suspect

I'm ecstatic that Sela is joining the show. While I've loved Melina ever since I first saw her as Eleni on Guiding Light, the show has definitely gotten a little stale over the past couple of seasons, and let's be honest, most of the cast has been sleepwalking through their roles. With such a talented actress like Sela joining the cast, it may be the kick in the pants the producers, writers, and actors need to spice things up again.

12. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I hope that happens. But I also hope they don't just forget about Stella, and they try to find a decent and believable way, given the circumstances, to write her out.

13. Ballettmaus

Ballettmaus Hit and Run

But they will continue the sleepwalking if the writers keep giving them what they were given. And the rest of the actors are still there as well. Not sure if Sela Ward will spice things up because MK seemed to have a similar personality as Stella in regards of holding a team together. Her absence will change the dynamics not only on screen but off screen as well. When you've been for a team for so long and someone new comes in... And her coming in doesn't meant the storylines get any better because she's not writing them :p I guess new writers would be more needed than a new face.

I hope though that they will go back to their roots and make CSI episodes with cases in the foreground.

14. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Just watched some of her scenes on 'House' (I'm not into medical shows :lol:), and she looks like Marg Helgenberger but brunette! They almost have the same strong appeal and I hope many would check out CSI: NY! :D

The following post on EW is kind of insulting. But I forgive the writer. He needs to retire! :scream:

When favorite actors go into so-so shows.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  15. paige4donmacdan

paige4donmacdan Hit and Run

Im Love Jo On New York Shes Just So Great i hate to say it i think shes better then stella and she fits in great :)