Melina Kanakaredes Leaves CSI: NY

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Jul 12, 2010.

1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I am worried about how they will write Stella off the show. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd started the new season out with a funeral and say that Stella came to Danny's to help with the Shane situation and that it was her that Shane shot. That would be stupid if they did that, but it really would not surprise me at this point. I cannot think of how they would write her out. I hope they don't pull the "nypd had budget cuts and decided to let Stella go" thing.

2. Ballettmaus

Ballettmaus Hit and Run

This is so coming out of the blue. And it seems like it's coming as a surprise to CBS because wouldn't they have otherwise set up her departure? It seems as if there was something major that has gone wrong and I think there's more than just money to it.
    After all, we fans have seen the way they treat Stella's character and especially how they treated her character during the second half of season six. I think MK is smart enough to see that herself and I have a hard time imagining that she's been too happy with that.

I was already thinking the show wouldn't live to see an eighth season after that crappy half of season six and the show being moved to Friday. They were desperate by bringing old characters back like Peyton and Shane Casey.
    I sort of hope now that it won't make it to an eighth season just because of what they're doing with the show and now let one of the most popular characters go.

The chemistry Mac and Stella had cannot be replaced. No one can replace that. I just hope they're giving her a plausible exit and give fans some closure by letting Mac and Stella be together off screen. It would, after all, be the easiest thing to write... Maybe we should petition for that ;)

I'm not sure they could get away with another death... imagine the impact that would have. Mac losing a friend like Stella after he lost Claire... Imagine what that would do to a person.

As far as the budget cuts are concerned, that wouldn't be plausible because they start cutting people at the bottom not the top and Stella's top.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  3. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

noooo!!!! i like reading smackfics but i think in the show it really would be the most epic of epic fails.

i like stella but she was never my favourite, even just among the women of the show. i found some of the stella-centric eps a bit - i dunno, fine but less enjoyable than some of the others. the last one that centred around her was horrendous. it's a shame she's going as she's a good strong female character and i do like her, but it won't really affect my watching, so hey ho. of course if mac went, well that might be a different story...!

4. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Another tweet from Hill:

Wait, wait, wait. Possible additions? I understand that Sela Ward is in talks to be the new leading lady, but Hill is noting that it could be more than one?

*Hill's (s) is all speculation, of course.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  5. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ haha you beat me to it! he's absolutely right of course :)

6. Ballettmaus

Ballettmaus Hit and Run

Well, maybe he's referring to the love interest he was supposed to get.

7. flying mouse

flying mouse Witness

All my favorite episodes have minimal role or screen time of Stella. Most of my least favorite episodes are Stella centric ones. Yeah.. I'm glad it's Stella who will be gone next season.

You are right. Mac's not Grissom. NY can't stand on it's own without him. :lol:

8. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I'm curious as to where all the "pay cut" information is coming from? All the article said was that she was offered a new contract and decided to move on. There wasn't even a hint that the new contract was a pay cut. Did I miss something somewhere or is everyone just jumping to the conclusion she was asked to take a pay cut? Because in Hill's last Tweet it sounds like she's just moving on and making a personal decision to be with her kids.

9. Ballettmaus

Ballettmaus Hit and Run

It was said in one of the first article from ausiello. That article has changed now.

10. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

(ETA: Ballettmaus beat me to it. :p) Interesting - the comment about a pay cut was in the Ausiello article, I believe, but it has now been edited to add in the info about Sela Ward, and there's nothing about a pay cut, just a 'new deal'. So maybe the pay cut thing was just speculation that someone denied? *shrug*

Leaving to spend time with her kids makes much more sense - she's probably got a nice amount of money in the bank from working on the show for the past six years, and now she's free to do movies and stuff that she couldn't when she had the NY shooting schedule. Maybe we'll see her on the big screen (or small screen) again soon, or maybe not. Good luck to her in any case. :) (I think I already said that, but there's like three threads talking about this, so forgive me if I repeat myself. :lol:)

11. PerfectAnomaly

Aaaahhh! Thanks for the info, guys.

12. flying mouse

flying mouse Witness

But she's been acting Stella for 6 years! If I were Melina, I think I'd like to give Stella a proper closer. But they say she's just leaving. :rolleyes: I think the pay cut rumor makes sense.

13. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Rookie

Yeah, it's changed. The new version says "a source tells me that Kanakaredes was approached with a new deal but she opted to move on." The original version (which I saved) said "a source tells me that Kanakaredes was asked to take a pay cut and she declined." That's where the "pay cut" idea came from.

I think that if she left under friendly conditions (not a pay cut problem) then she would be willing to come back for a proper closure of her character.

14. PerfectAnomaly

You would think if there was any truth to the rumor they'd keep it as part of the story.

15. Ballettmaus

Ballettmaus Hit and Run

Well, I think the pay cut wasn't the true reason and there was more to it. She would have known that she wants to spend more time with her kids before contract negotiations, wouldn't she? So why negotiate at all and not say she's leaving after season six? In which case, they could have given her a proper exit with season six. So, in my eyes, it doesn't make more sense that she wants to spend more time with her kids.

They very obviously did negotiate. So, it's not about the kids and probably not just about the money. Though the money would probably be out of principle.
    If I were a lead on a show and was asked to take a cut so they can add other characters and my character was treated the way Stella's was, then I wouldn't accept either.
    I don't think it was about the amount and because she was greedy but there are some things you shouldn't accept. She's the leading lady, she's been one of the major reasons for that show to be the success it is. You don't just ask someone like that to accept a cut.

I agree. That's the weird part. That this seems to come as a complete surprise to anyone.

Unless it had to be taken out because the network wanted it to be taken out. After all, the article also states that CBS declined further comment. Which suggests strongly that there is more to just a simple paycut and it suggests even stronger that there is more to it than MK leaving for just her kids.