Debate/Dislike a Ship Thread -- CSI:Crime Scene Investigation, Part 2

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by happyharper13, May 19, 2009.

1. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Re: Debate/Dislike a Ship Thread -- CSI:Crime Scene Investigation, Par

I just assumed that beings the boxer dog was Grissom's dog, that he would have been the one who in fact named him. Would you let someone else give your dog their name? and I'm not sure he even knew about Hank, maybe he had his head to far up a bugs whatever:rolleyes:. And I hardly think knowing how Hank was, and the curcumstances were, that it wouldn't have been Sara who named him that:confused:So, it seems to be a coincidence~

2. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

Or is it? I can just imagine Grissom and his pet tarantula following Sara everywhere she goes with Hank when they were on a date. Not like that's a bad thing. Every girl wishes she could be stalked at least once in her life...in a romantic way and not in a sketchy-call-the-cops kind of way.:lol:

3. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I'm going to post here since there seems to be a lot of discussion about Gil and Sara and their marriage. I thought this would be a good place to bring the discussion.

First off, I know to some of you it seems ludacrous to have Sara in Vegas and Grissom in Paris. Perhaps that's how they want it? That's what works for them. Sara did leave Vegas to escape her demons and more than likely 'find herself' and really reflect on if she wanted to be with Grissom. Well we all know how that turned out, they got married.

But is it healthy? Can Sara and Grissom have a long distance marriage? Maybe he's in town and no one knows it? I'm not sure if that is very likely because remember, all these people are CSI's, someone would surely find out? Right?

With those thoughts now feel free to discuss.

Remember, this is a debate thread. SOMEONE is going to disagree with you. That's how it goes.

If you are getting riled up, step away from the computer. Do not bash, insult or berate others. Got it?

DISCUSS.......

4. Rainack

Rainack Hit and Run

I too feel that Grissom is somewhere in Vegas. Perhaps he's working at one of the colleges. Or, perhaps he's finishing up whatever the research was that they were waiting on a grant for, so that obligations are met.
    I like GSR as a canon ship, but I've fallen in love with The Love. Nick and Greg just seem right for each other!

5. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

As a fan who is not fond of either Gil or Sara, constantly bringing Grissom up in every conversation is getting quite old. Why? Because the woman that was supposedly so torn up about being a CSI is back in less than a year. I honestly feel like it was some stupid stunt to alleviate some of the issues a certain actress was feeling for leaving the show in the first place. But that's neither here nor there. The point is, don't have a character leave and get married only to have that same character come back, sans husband. I feel like it's lazy writing. Plus, the fact that WP isn't back isn't helping.

I have no problem with long distance relationships. But, there is something about it that seems oddly forced and unnecessarily stressed.

6. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I don't find the current situation forced, or OOC, at all. He proposed, they got married, and now one of them is back at work in a job she left due to burnout (which, after 2 years off, she has overcome). Sara has worked through her personal issues, appears happy, and has returned to a job she is very good at, and to work with her 'extended family'. While Grissom is off doing something he has always wanted to do, teach. They are there for each other, trust each other, and support each others' choices. This is their version of a happy marriage; it works for them, and it seems pretty solid to me.
    The only frustrating thing for me is that they don't tell us what Grissom is doing, but this is 'in character' for CSI. They did the same thing when Sara left, so I've accepted that it is the way CSI addresses the personal lives of their characters; more mystery, more questions than answers, and we just have to wait til the writers are ready to tell us the answers (which, in this case, is probably dependent on WP).

I love that they are married (continuity!), I love the Grissom mentions (most of which come from characters other than Sara), and I love having Jorja back. It's not ideal without WP, but I'll take what I can get, realizing that with Sara in the show, there is always a connection to Grissom, whether it's seen or not.

ETA: As far as the 'issues' regarding Jorja leaving, maybe we will never have the whole story, but she always said in her exit interviews that she 'needed a break'; and that, if she did return to series TV, it would be on CSI. So, the door was left open for her to return, as it is for WP, and Liz, and probably will be for Marg.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  7. electra

electra Pathologist

I do not care about them living apart but I want the writers to say clearly what Grissom is doing and where.

8. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

According to her and all other reports he's in Paris, France. To me I don't think bringing him up adds to the particular show at hand say "House Of Hoarders" or "Blood Moon" these shows were about "hoarders" and "vampires and werewolves", but one mention of his name and some think that's all the show was about, when it was so minuscule and so not necessary, and had nothing to due with the content of said episode~

9. NHRFan

NHRFan Coroner

You can have a long relationship, they sometime they work and sometime they don't. I thought Hank is Sara's dog, not Grissom. Sara is the one that find the dog on the highway or something. I know Hank is Billy's dog in real life.

10. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

The way I feel about it is, it's fine that Sara's back. I just want a clear, non-fangirl/boy answer as to where he is and why she's back. Sara keeps flip flopping between, "Oh, I can't do it anymore!" to "Oh, wait let me help!" to having a momentary lapse last season stating, "This is why I can't do this anymore." It's very easy: stay or go. Because myself, along with fans from other forums agree that them constantly mentioning Grissom, whether it be from Sara or not, is getting irritating.

I know to some, hearing them constantly mention Grissom is fun and intriguing. But to me, it rings hollow unless you're actually gonna get WP to jump on board again.

All I'm saying is, don't change the status of a character and then not fully explain it. It's just lame writing all in an attempt to leave the door open for WP, if and when he comes back.

11. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

I love the Grissom mentions myself, actually. I think TPTB are trying to throw everyone a bone at the same time: give Nick a lot of screen time, give Sara an episode, mention Grissom from time to time, involve lab rats in cases, etc. They are balancing it all out, and for me as long as Grissom is mentioned every once in a while I'm happy, even if I have to suffer from Nick and Ray show for the majority of screentime lately.

As to the GSR situation right now I honestly think it's ridiculous we don't know anything, and I think the writers have dug themselves a hole. Obviously, if they came up with an answer to Sara in Vegas, they would feed it to us right away. My conclusion is that they are stuck and frantically looking for a plausible explanation before JF's contract expires. With WP not returning, the challenge is even bigger to keep her on the show and make it look realistic. Wouldn't be surprised if JF and TPTB mutually agreed to let her leave next year, only for her to come back when WP does (which would very likely be on the series finale, S12). And at the same time, they would get away with not explaining why she was in Vegas for so long, or go for a half-assed explanation a la Wendy.

12. Axatullux

Axatullux Lab Technician

I actually liked the GSR ship and while it's unlikely it'll be seen again since WP departed, I'm okay with how they closed it out in the end. :) I can understand why some disliked it though. I sometimes felt some reservations over the pairing especially with the age disparity but I like how they ultimately played it out in the end especially as shortly before Grissom left.

As for me, I've found myself violently rejecting Mac/Jo simply because I feel like it was shoved right in our faces when too many of us simply still couldn't fully recover from the news of Melina leaving over the summer. :censored::mad::censored::angryrazz::wtf:

The way it was brought in left an incredibly bitter taste in my mouth especially how many were so devoted to Mac/Stella for so many years only to see it taken from us literally overnight. :scream: Thanks a lot, both TPTB :censored: and MK! :angryrazz: A choice now between drinking sour milk or ingesting dishwashing liquid. :wtf::rolleyes:

It took me a couple seasons to embrace Mac/Stella as a pair and with Stella leaving, barring her return if the show ends, I've been virulently against the idea of Mac being paired up with Jo, hence my angry attitude in some areas on the forum over it. I really tried to watch the show just recently but could not do so because of Stella's absence. I just couldn't. MK should NOT have left like this. I definitely look forward to future MK projects but for now, my respect for MK took very heavy damage over this and is only starting to recover somewhat.

At this point, in terms of romantic pairing, I'd take Mac with either Peyton (Okay with it) or even Aubrey (Reacts with a response similar to the first winds of winter) over Jo Danville (Gets out barf bag) any day. :rolleyes:

I've also started to become increasingly skeptical of the Eric/Calleigh pairing as of lately since this season, I've seen it become increasingly juvenile and reducing the quality of both characters. I've always detected a good amount of attraction between them but as of lately, it has become closer to looking like the most banal of Danny/Lindsay than to either Grissom/Sara or Mac/Stella. If they truly have broken them up, then please, oh please, break them up and be done with it! Sheesh.

I personally also think that the main characters should be with background characters or those we don't see much, if at all. With the decline of TPTB's Midas Touch, and the fact that the shows are incredibly long in the tooth, it may be better to pair up characters with recurring characters or off-screen characters than between main ones.

That's my two-hundred dollars. :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  13. missyb

missyb Victim

Hope it's okay to post here, being a newb and all but this thread really interested me, on account of the fact there are so many different opinions of the GSR relationship.

Personally I have always liked Grissom and Sara, in the first couple of series I related to the latter as I was very focused on my work and usually took it too seriously (I studied Criminology) and I also felt passionate about domestic violence cases (after visiting a refuge). Initially I liked the thought of G and S together, but now it's happened I am not so sure about it - I guess because of the hellishly long build up, and plus some of the scenes with them in felt incredibly awkward and trite. I couldn't really warm to it.

I never saw Grissom with Catherine; it always seemed like a kind of especially strong friendship, especially when he was contending with the hearing issues.

Grissom and Lady Heather was something I love - not at the time (as I was shipping GSR) but now I can see it's merits - I don't think it would have lasted particularly long but it had a very fiery undertone to it, which was played quite subtly. I saw a lot of potential in Lady Heather but she would have never worked as a frequent or intermittent character long term, as it wouldn't have blended in with the plotlines - in fact, at the time I felt she was over used for a bit.

The only ship that I would say I am entirely in favour of is Wendy and Hodges - I just really liked that episode in Season 10 for reasons I am not quite sure of; perhaps because I see a different side to Hodges apart from the irritation a lot of people comment on, and I'm really unhappy that Liz is not in S11.

Just my two cent!

14. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

Welcome missyb to Shipper Central. Actually you did great for your first post. Please continue. :D

Axatullux This thread is for the ships on CSI Vegas. So what you said about Gil and Sara was perfectly fine. We do have a debate thread for Miami and NY as well.

15. Axatullux

Axatullux Lab Technician

Oh oops. :confused: Sorry about that ladyhunter. I didn't know. :( *Smacks self in forehead* I'll remember next time. :thumbsup: