Episode 8x21 - 'Meltdown' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Apr 30, 2010.

1. mjszud

mjszud Captain

That makes sense, but I just don't think they would have exchanged the tense looks if that was the case. Plus, Eric knew her hearing aid was interferring with his wires beforehand -- he'd have known that she wouldn't be able to sit there with the squeeling in her ear all night, he'd have known that she'd have to back out of having drinks. His expression didn't seem to say "oh ok, you aren't going because of your hearing aid".

I think it's either because she was upset that he didn't trust the team, or because she didn't want to be a part of him spying. She knows the way they all looked at her before when she was the mole -- I'm sure she wouldn't want those looks again if they found out she knew about Eric's investigation.

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Well, that's a good possibility. I didn't think about her worrying that they'd all think she was in on the spying. Good theory.

3. Gooniegirl3333

Gooniegirl3333 Lab Technician

Aw, my second favorite Vulcan! I always love seeing Tim Russ. But, yeah I just kept seeing him as Tuvok and was seriously ready to see him do some Vulcan Death Grip on Tripp. Poor, slightly typecasted sweety.

4. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Thank you for the image :lol:. I was trying to figure out who he was reminding me of and you got it :lol:

While I'd love to see him as a regular detective, I'd prefer watching him die as an UC agent rather than working for our CSIs :rolleyes:

You know what? I actually don't think that Eric knew about her hearing loss problem. She was trying to hide it along with the fact she was pissed off because of that wire. While she was hiding it she was mad at him because he didn't trust them.

5. mjszud

mjszud Captain

^^ I'm almost positive when he first had the signal jammer she messed with her ear & he asked her if she was ok, she said yes but asked if he'd turn it off because the interference was "making her crazy". After he said it was already turned off she told him her hearing aid didn't start freaking out until he walked in. I don't remember if she directly said "my hearing aid", but there was enough suggestion there (at least to me) that he knew about it.

Interesting that you say she doesn't trust him though. I just read a review (by Scott Parker, he does weekly reviews, they're always a good read) & he said something to that effect as well -- that "she wasn't so sure" when Eric said he was just helping out his friends.
    Honestly, who knows. I like the different outlooks on it though. ;)

6. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

She did say "my hearing aid" at one point in the conversation with Eric, so he does know about it. I wonder when he found out though. He didn't seem surprised in last night's ep, so that would seem to suggest that he knew about it prior to that.

7. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Well, even Frank knew about it. She told him strait out that it was wreaking havoc on her hearing aid. I think the whole "big secret" hoopla was just for those few episodes before she finally went to the doctor. TPTB & thier oh-so-big-secrets. :rolleyes:

Just a random thought here. I had to snicker at Natalia closing the doors so that she could have privacy when talking to Eric.....like him showing her the wires on his chest was all in privacy behind those GLASS SEE-THRU walls. :lol: It's those silly little things I can't help but giggle at.

8. nwolfson22

nwolfson22 Police Officer

I totally agree with you on all your points. I will even go so far as to say, this "is my fav episode of the entire season."

This is the episode that I will buy the dvds for, it was simply wonderful.

9. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

I wouldn't say Tim Russ is typecast. He's had a decent amount of roles since he left Star Trek.

As for the episode at hand, I liked it a lot better than the "Ghost Calleigh" episode from a few weeks back. Probably the best one to date

I think the only sour spot was Natalya not going with the others in the end. Other than that, a wonderful episode

Highlights
    -More Tripp and BV
    -Acknowledgements to previous episodes
    -Horatio's "What the Barnacle" reaction when he lost the perps
    -Tim Russ
    -Jake and Ryan looking evil in various scenes

Rating 4/5

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  10. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

I rather liked this episode. Things are falling into place for the continuation of this story arc.

Random Thoughts:

--I thought the victim's girlfriend being one of the robbers and the motorcycles made of gold were two good plot twists.

--Tim Russ, my second favorite Vulcan!!

--Does anyone else besides me want to avoid Horatio when he is angry or extremely annoyed? DC does a excellent job portraying a man although showing a calm exterior, has his other emotions right below the surface.

--It was good to see Jake again, although even for someone being undercover, he looked a little rough.

--Ryan, on the other hand, looked smoking hot; I even liked his hair. And the best part: two episodes in a row with no character assassination! In fact, he reminded me of Early-seasons Ryan.
    I do renew my objections to it being Ryan in hot water again. I side with Delynn, let him go through this and pick on someone else next season. I'm not holding my breath; Ryan will probably remain the scapegoat until the show ends:(

--I really like Walter but his over the top reactions are starting to grate on my nerves. Missing evidence is pretty serious but his attacking Ryan and treating him as if he's never logged evidence in and out before really irritated me.
    I have a sneaking suspicision that this scene will be revisited when the diamonds are discovered in Ryan' apartment.

--One thing that is I have always admired about Horatio is his protectiveness of those working under him, especially with IAB. He telling Walter that he knew he knew he didn't do it was H all over.
    Even though he might ask Ryan if he is gambling again,I just hope he give Ryan the same benefit of the doubt when this all comes to a head

--I enjoyed the mixing up of the team and having everyone work with everyone else (would like to have seen Jesse and Ryan though)

--Frank: "Do-hickey":lol:

--Thought it was interesting that they involved Natalia's hearing aids. It showed good story arc continuation and was an clever way to introduce Eric's undercover assignment.

--I enjoyed seeing the team going out to socialize together, although I wish Jesse was there as well. Although I will probably never be completely convinced that Eric and Ryan would ever be anything more that just coworkers, I thought the "man hug" was kind of cute and hopefully a thaw in their cold war.

All in all a good episode.

11. electra

electra Pathologist

This is probably the best of this season.My expectations were low becouse I was expecting a love triangle but I was glad to see that Jake and Calleigh are like Eric and Natalia,in the sense that love between them is finito.:) Calleigh is a cutie so I love her banter with Eric at the end.

But I liked all aspects of the show,not just my E/C fix.Case was interesting and I felt the team connection similar to what it was in season 3.Eric and Natalia are very good friends and I can get that she is worried about him regardless if the reason does not makes sense(it's miami afterall).I interpreted the last scene as if she learned her lesson being an FBI informant and does not want to be involved in anything similar.

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  12. jontogoisabeast

jontogoisabeast Hit and Run

I loved that episode!!! Best one of the season so far. Ryan was so cute! I also love Jake's voice (ya I kno tht sounds a bit wierd, but thts just me) I just can't get enough of it! it's so fricken awesome!

13. CSIMandy

CSIMandy Lab Technician

I totally agree about Ryan though I hope they cut him a break, let someone else face heat about the diamonds. I am still holding onto belief that he nor Calleigh are involved, it is just not in their characters to do so.

I like Walter too but I agree he did irritate me the way he got on Ryan's case for the envelope with evidence going missing.

I always enjoy seeing the team hang out together after work but I agree it would've been nice had Jesse joined them. I liked when Ryan teased about Eric being the new guy, it was cute and it is good to see them getting along and joking around.

Natalia definately has reason to be concerned because she's been in Eric's position before. Natalia knows very well the consequences of what can happen once the truth is out about Eric investigating the lab. She knows and so does H but Ryan, Calleigh, Jesse and Walter don't know. I can see Ryan and Calleigh being hurt or angry once they find out.

14. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

I too enjoyed this episode. They kept the Calleigh/Eric/Jake drama in check, something I wasn't expecting. And I agree; Jake was in good form; I smiled when he chewed Delko out about not knowing about UC work until he'd done it. I sort of hope Jake will be back if he's this good all the time.

Glad to see the old Ryan. I hope they finally got rid of that snarky jerk who ate him.

Admittedly there was something disconcerting about Horatio having a WTF moment! :lol: Don't think I've ever seen that before.

Good that they used more science. Guess Dave Benton was on vacation (or filming something else!) I like how they used Natalia's hearing aid with the transmitters and Delko's wiring.

There's also something else: Has anybody else noticed that this is the first epi in a while that the characters looked more natural? They didn't look either hapless and confused or just downright ticked off at the world? I can accept it if they are changing Delko back into a confident, knowledgeable CSI, as long as they do it gradually. I can accept that he'll probably never fly a helicopter with two rounds in his head, but at least this time he didn't walk around with that slack-eyed, confused look. That about drove me nuts!

But then, of course, there was my main reason for watching (DA DA DA DUHHHH!)

MY RICKYPOO FIX!!! :drool::adore::luvlove:

He let his Southern accent out to play, and he looks as yummy as ever. I was sort of hoping for some of the old-fashioned H/Stetler headbutting, but that's the breaks. Of course, only one scene again. Nice of the writers to throw us a bone once in a while. But there's next week.

Speaking of which, Walter, you may have eyes, but you got one heck of a mouth on you! I hope you get written up for disrespect to your superiors.

Looks like they're gonna set us up for the "betrayal". If the rumors are true as to who it is, they better have a darn good reason! That's all I'll say. All in all, very good epi. I'll give credit where credit is due.

15. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

You're not the only one. I've always loved his voice. I'd gladly listen to him read the telephone book cover-to-cover for the sole purpose of hearing him speak continuously. :lol: