CSI, Too fake?

Discussion in 'General CSI Discussion' started by hotspot, Mar 19, 2010.

1. hotspot

hotspot Hit and Run

I was on another forum and someone said that they don't watch CSI, because they find it too fake. This is what he said.
    What do you think? Do you think the CSI's are a little too fake?

2. Nick3167

Nick3167 Rookie

As someone who has been a former police officer for them to call CSI fake is a punch in the gut for me. I have seen what these guys go through I think this person that posted this doesn't realize that in the show 24 they are being fake I watched it when it first aired and actually wrote several letters to state where they went wrong so CSI is pretty close to accurate in their ways of showing things.

3. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Well, judging from his/her statement, I'd say he/she has not watched enough episodes to justify that CSI is fake. The statement is too vague and maybe he/she judged the show based on one episode only.

I remember one reviewer said in his review of a crime show comparing it to CSI. He said that the former is so original for him because there are no aliens, spaceships etc. I thought, maybe he watched just a little portion of a CSI episode and judged it right away. Obviously, he's refering to 'Viva Las Vegas' (for the alien) and 'A Space Oddity' (for the spaceship). He should've finished the episode so that he could changed his judgment about CSI. The 'alien' is not really an alien but a strange medical condition, and the spaceship is part of a science fiction convention.

As for the fake issue, for me no. Science and special effects are trademarks of CSIs. They make the show standout among the rest. I think the millions of viewers around the world and 10 years and counting can prove that. There are just these people who think CSIs are too futuristic for their taste and they don't welcome it. I wish I could please everybody but I can't.

Time is a major issue in this show. I even debated with a poster on a forum about this. He said "no crime is solved within an hour :)". And I just thought "oh my, he's confident about what he just said." I just told him that I don't have to explain it to him. Thank goodness, there is this patient-enough poster to explain to him why the CSIs on CSI solve murders within "an hour".

4. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

I am not a forensics expert but have read that CSI uses real equipment. and they havetechnical experts behind the scenes. Since they usually have 45 minutes to tell a story, sometimes they cut corners about the time it takes to run a DNA test. And they do not dress up in full hazmat suits to process a scene, because viewers like to look at the actors. Just keep in mind that it is a fictional show, but based on real procedures.

5. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I wonder which CSI show this person was watching and when... because recently they've had to do some budget cuts and stuff, so that may be part of it. 24 may have a better budget, I dunno. It's not on as often, so maybe they're able to save more money? But comparing CSI to 24 is like comparing apples to carrots IMHO. It makes no sense to me to compare the two. 24 is about stopping terroists and stuff like that. CSI is about the processes in which a crime is solved. Considering that the original CSI has actual former CSIs on the set as part of their consultant team, I think it looks as real as it can.

Stupid question, but: What is an internet meme? :lol:

6. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I'm not sure of an exact definition, but Horatio's sunglasses, Aretha's hat from Obama's inauguration, Lady Gaga's sunglasses, Kanye's faux pas during Taylor Swift's acceptance speech - those all became 'memes' that pass around the internet, often in macros or photo manipulations. A meme is kind of like an internet-wide inside joke. :) I think I've seen the one with the license plate, although my Google-fu is failing me right now and I can't find it.

As for whether the CSI shows are fake - they include realistic elements, but they do take a lot of liberties with technology, procedure, etc. It's all done in the name of telling a good story and making a good TV show that fits within a 42-minute time frame - some people are fine with it (there are millions of fans for a reason ;)), but other people have less tolerance for some of the inaccuracies.

They use real technology - although some of it is still in the early stages - but they take liberties with the speed and applications, not to mention the finished product. (For example, scientists have developed at least one type of 3D digital autopsy, but it's certainly not a floating holographic image like you see on CSI:NY.) CSIs and homicide detectives often go in with SWAT teams or drug busts for the sake of using the characters or telling a certain story. Everybody dresses inappropriately for crime scenes because let's face it, glamour is a part of television. There are a lot of conveniences and coincidences - and the killer almost always confesses the moment they've been discovered - but those can all be attributed to solving each crime within the 42-minutes allotted for that episode. The list goes on...

I don't know how realistic 24 is (or a lot of other shows), but I doubt it's 100% true to life - scripted television programs rarely are.

So yeah - of course CSI is fake, but whether it's too fake is totally a matter of preference. :)

7. Urban Legend

Urban Legend Captain

You are right about the Meme definition, it's amazing what some people do to pass their time. Case in Point...

I know this person has the right to say they think it's fake, but I think they must have watched earlier seasons/episodes. To me, New York does go a little of the top with the technology aspect of the forensics with some of the stuff they use on the show, but I don't think it looks fake. I don't know about Miami, haven't watched it since season 2. But Vegas and New York don't come over as fake for me, except for the technology on New York.

8. ASCHATRIA

ASCHATRIA Witness

No, I'm med. tech._ rtg diagnostics and I'm not disappointed; thik that they doing just fine.
    It might be just like that
    yes they have, and if I have time I watch short stories about that, I think I have few on DVD orig. somewhere

9. Ajbuckly

Ajbuckly Lab Technician

IMHO He might miss the point as to why we tune in and what makes or breaks a show.

He might tune in for more XXX and the generel fan-base of CSI tune in to get their "needs" or expectations meet. He might enjoy more straight forward rational storyline where as CSI viewers want the twist and turns of a storyline. If the drop of blood on the back - side of a mirror gets the killer then the case is solved. End of story on any show. BUT what happens in between is what makes or breaks a show. If we as viewer connect with the characters and enjoy the setting of the show( be that from music in the intro to the colour of the scenes) then you have a hit show.

As for realisme in shows; 1. it is all entertaiment so ....can any show be more realistic then others?

Hang on I am rambling ....will return later....

10. ASCHATRIA

ASCHATRIA Witness

yes, example some med. shows_ plot is the main reason for staying, but it has to go hand in hand with reality_ that's why they poor red blood not green :vulcan:

11. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Not to me, maybe I live in a fantasy world oh, CSI is fantasy, but everything I watch on this fabulous show, seems real the graphics, the DNA, the whole show is beyond believable to me~

12. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

There are only three things I can think of that make this show differ from 'reality':

1. The amount of time that they show for tests to be run.

2. The technology used.

3. The involvement of CSIs in every facet of the case.

For point one, all of the writers/producers/directors/actors have stated that they have purposely sped up the time. They know in real life a DNA test could take from a week to several months for accurate results. But for television, they show it taking a few hours for the entertainment value. I have no issue with this and am more than willing to suspend my disbelief. And by now, I thought every knew about this.

The second point is mixed for me. I see CSI as being the most accurate with it's tech. My issue is Miami. They use computers and other technology that I'm not even sure the FBI or Microsoft uses. I'm not saying it's not real technology, just not stuff these labs would probably be using. Not as familiar with New York. (Side question: why does Miami have better tech then Las Vegas if Vegas is the busier lab?)

I've heard complaints that CSIs in real life do not take part in interrogations or police raids to the degree that we see. Apparently only cops who are trained CSIs (i.e. Sofia Curtis) could do what we see Catherine and Grissom do on a regular basis. However, these are just hearsay rumors that I heard. Perhaps one of the members here who know more could correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Basically, I see CSI as being very accurate. As some others have stated, they have consultants and do extensive research on the crimes we see. Whoever that poster was really needs to sit down and watch an entire season before they judge.

13. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Good analysis Praetor everything you said makes total sense:bolian:

14. Asprine

Asprine Pathologist

When I told my lecturer that I love to watch the show, CSI, he said that 80% of the show is make-believe. It usually take 3 days for a DNA result to show up but in the show, it took less than an hour or so.

However, I do not really take into consideration on any of this. The show is great and amazing even though there are things that alters between real life. The storyline, the case and the characters made it work! Besides, I just love the technologies they were using! Some of the effects might be edit with computers but still... They left me astounded and staggered with the modern and spectacular machinery and equipment based on such knowledge in the twenty-first-century! :)

15. Colonel Worf

Colonel Worf Pathologist

I wouldn't really trust anyone who says 24 looks real. The only thing that CSI does that is "fake" is constrain things for team, and maybe use some technology that isn't exactly accurate every once in a while.

But, it would be pretty boring to watch them solve one case of the course of 6 months.