Discussion of the Week: Cropping

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Dragonfly, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

Discussion Topic: Cropping

Well folks, this time I want to hear your thoughts on cropping images.

-What is the best way to do it?
    -When in the icon-making process do you crop the image you're working with?
    -Any other thoughts/advice you want to share

2. DetHiggins

DetHiggins Police Officer

I think the best way of cropping it is to make sure that whatever you want to focus on is not in the center. Putting it a little to the right or left goes a long way. However, it depends on the picture. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

I always crop first. If I like it then, I'll size it then begin to work on it. Unless I need to clone something, but I still crop first.

Some advice is to never crop so that it's like at a joint or the base of the neck. It looks odd. Also, leave some empty space. Make your crop bigger before you resize so that it isn't crowded. A crowded picture makes it hard to focus on anything. Plus, it gives room for text or an amazing texture.

So there's my tips and stuff like that :D

3. Urban Legend

Urban Legend Captain

-What is the best way to do it? The best way to crop for an icon is working with high quality images and pasting the images into a even sized blank base, something ranged from 200x200 pixels - 400x400 pixels. Then when you have it set up the way you like, resize it into icon size and that's your base.
    -When in the icon-making process do you crop the image you're working with? I always crop the image that I'm working with in the icon-making process.
    -Any other thoughts/advice you want to share Some crops do not work on every icon. You don't want the subject to be too centered, when an icon is centered it leaves no space to add text etc and while interesting crops can be done by focousing on an area of an icon it absolutely looks awful when hair is cropped out, that's a big no no in my book. but centered icons with negative space sometimes work. Focus on areas such as eyes, nose/lip section of the face and the neck, I believe those are key areas that make good crops. I've been told that I have good cropping skills, but I don't really try :lol: :shifty: I just move the picture around until it looks how I want it. I also suggest you make more than one crop with a picture, you will be surprised the possibilities of crops that can come out of just one picture. Sharpen your cropped base! You will be surprised how far sharpening a base will go :)

Here's some examples of my icons that I think have good cropping, but I know it differs among people:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Example
    Example2
    Example3
    Example4
    Example5
    Example6
    Example7
    Example8
    Example9
    Example10

Umm, I'm never good at giving advice, so I hope that helped :)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  4. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

I may be in the minority but I do not like cropping when 1/2 a persons face is gone....to me I want a picture of that character not 1/2 their face. That is just my opinion though.

5. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I totally agree. Cutting off half the face take away from the composition and sometimes leaves too much negative space in the background.

6. Urban Legend

Urban Legend Captain

I know everyone has different tastes and I don't know if that was in response to me saying that cropping so certain parts of the face pop out or if that was your posts :confused: but the majority of users like the way I crop when I post my icons into the fan art threads, to me cropping that way adds to the icon it doesn't take anything out for negative space allows good texture use and more room to fit in fonts etc. But cropping is a matter of personal taste and opinion, it's going to differ from person to person.

7. luf100

luf100 Coroner

Cropping is probably my biggest weakness when it comes to Photoshop, so I really have no advice or anything, but I like reading everyone else's. It's helping. :lol:

8. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Uhh...no I was not referring to you or your icons.

I was agreeing with Kat that cropping off a lot of the face is not what we, Kat and I, like.

9. DetHiggins

DetHiggins Police Officer

I just remembered something. I always set my crop tool to a square with the size of 1.65x1.65. But it's always important to make sure the crop tool stays a square. Otherwise resizing it will make it stretch awkwardly and elongate what shouldn't be elongated.

Umm, I have nothing against half the face unless it's not right down the middle. That's just awkward. Also if the face just makes the icon split in half then it's a bit awkward and may be hard to pull off.

My tip is to know what you want to do before you start. If you don't know what you want, deciding on a crop is near impossible. Also if a crop doesn't work, don't force it. Sometimes a picture is just not right for cropping.

10. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

No it wasnt directed at anyone specifically I just recall challenges where cropping came up and that particular kind of crop seems popular but I personally do not like it. Sorry if I offended anyone.

11. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I was afraid of the odd crops before, but I am getting more into them. :lol: The thing is that sometimes you find a cap that picture wise is just perfect for an icon. However, it has that channel logo or some crazy popup ad (from the tv) on it and you have to crop around that because if you tried to blur that out it would take forever... so sometimes that's why some of my crops may be awkward.

12. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

I find that happens to me as well. I'm usually working with pictures that unfortunately, have a logo covering a really sweet spot so I have to get a bit inventive with my crop. Some of the time I can manage to edit out the logo but most of the time I find it easier to crop around it.

I take my picture and knock it down to the general size I want and paste it into my 100x100 space. Then I play around with where I want my subject and merge, so it's pretty early on in my process. I don't know if there's a 'best' way to do it because every artist is different with what they're comfortable with and programs vary so I tend to do whatever makes it easiest for me. :lol: It does help, I find, to look up tutorials for hints and tips, whether you're new or seasoned.

13. shazza_018

shazza_018 A Daily Anthem Moderator

I used to experiment with my cropping a lot before but then I got told that my cropping looked 'odd'. But now some said I should experiment more with my cropping. :confused:

Some help me out here, if you need to see examples of my icons let me know.