Criminal Minds #3: Beware The Office Of Unfettered Omniscience

Discussion in 'Criminal Minds' started by Destiny, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Half

Half CSI Level Two

You're right, GNRF, it does remind me a bit of Nikki. I also agree that the British Special Forces guy will automatically make the show more interesting if he has an accent. :lol:

I'm just confused. I don't understand at all how this show is going to work. It almost sounds like they wanted to make a new show and decided that it would be easier to sell it if they piggybacked on an already-successful show.

ETA: MaddyAnn, I suppose that's possible. But I remember them implying that there was only one BAU. So that line confused me too much to make me think of the spinoff.

I don't even watch MTV, but I might actually turn it on once in a while if they stopped putting stupid shows on it.

I'm sorry, but I'm cracking up over "Good Co-Star". I'm guessing that it's because it's a kid, but it still sounds really funny. I guess the other co-stars can suck. :lol:

2. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

I re-read through and none of the following seem to have a spoiler element to them.

Latest from Kristin (from last page)
    Anita in Houston: Has Thomas Gibson left Criminal Minds?
    Nope! Despite Hotch's recent family tragedy, all parties involved assure us that Thomas Gibson is remaining with the show. (Too bad for you fans who expressed a hope that Haley's death opened the door to a major return by Mandy Patinkin's Gideon.) In other news, producers are now casting four regulars for a Criminal Minds spinoff; network sources aren't saying anything for sure, but chances are good that we'll meet the new team first in an episode of the mothership, and then they'll zoom off to their own world next season.

From Fancast:
    Can you ask ‘Criminal Minds‘ creator Ed Bernero if Reid will ever learn about pop culture? Because while he may have grown up and matured by his experiences at the BAU, his obliviousness (to ‘Twilight‘ and so forth) should be rectified. What’s more, the show is in its fifth season and we still haven’t seen Reid’s apartment! – Dalyn
    Sorry, Dalyn, but Bernero refuses to budge on the issue of Reid’s pop culture ignorance. “We believe that most of Reid’s time when off-duty is taken up by studying the criminal mind or by teaching the things he’s learned – and we’ve done episodes in which he’s done both of those things,” he tells the Big Tease. “We just don’t think that he’s as interested in things like ‘Twilight’ as the rest of us are.” Turning to the matter of where Reid hangs his hat, Bernero asks: “Aren’t we all just a little bit afraid of what that apartment would look like?!” Fair point.

Tvguide Online (nothing Spoilish)
    I hate the idea of a Criminal Minds spin-off. Is there a way you can assure the fans that nothing is going to change and they won't steal writers and stories from the original? — Diane
    ADAM: Who am I, State Farm? I can't guarantee anything, but I can ask executive producer Ed Bernero to give it a shot. "The 19th episode [which could launch the spin-off] is going to be a Criminal Minds episode and you'll meet some new people," he says, downplaying the future possibilities. "We're focused on doing the best Criminal Minds episodes we can and introducing these new characters. And if it goes, it goes. We all really care about the first show."

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  3. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i'm quite a bit behind on CM at the moment but i had to come in because i've just started watching ep 7 and *OMG* the band is playing joy division! i don't know whether to die of shock or adoration:lol: admittedly i'd have been more adoring if they'd picked a less obvious song, but even so *dies of shock*

4. Half

Half CSI Level Two

~I’ll let you know that the promo for this episode freaked me out, in a character-panic sort of way. I was obsessing over it for the full week. Anyone that reads spoiler tags on TalkCSI can confirm this.
    ~Starting in the middle of a case again, I see. I love how it’s almost subtly suggesting that he’s the episode’s victim. Unless you saw the promo, which flat out tells you that he’s the bad guy.
    ~“Did he just bite you?” Yeah. So he deserved the punch.
    ~Bunting, huh? Is he a red shirt?
    ~Hee. I love when Emily is annoyed, in a way that does not make me afraid of her (like last week). She and Bunting are totally mocking the UnSub. Probably not a great idea, but still fun to watch.
    ~Emily pulls her gun, and then gets knocked down a hill. That sucks. Is it better that the car was stationary? Like, is it safer, I mean.
    ~DAMN YOU CREDITS AND COMMERCIAL BREAKS! You always have timing that makes me want to kill you. (I don’t even think they let the car stop rolling before they cut away. Jerks.)
    ~Emily, what are the odds that someone just randomly hit your parked car? I mean really. I’m not teasing you as much as I normally would because you did just get hit by a truck.
    ~Rossi, I think you may be wrong. And JJ ruins his fun.
    ~Oh look, Emily has a concussion. Poor Em. She has no luck when it comes to getting hit in the head, does she? (Stay in the hospital. No, seriously. Stay.)
    ~“Apparently she’s arguing with the doctors.” “That’s good.” Hee.
    ~“That’s okay, I like pushing you around.” My knowledge of the cast makes me think that Shemar had fun with that line. Because apparently the cast is just as sibling as the characters are.
    ~Guilt!
    ~“How are you?” “I feel like I just got hit by a truck.” Hee.
    ~I’m forced to agree with the UnSub for a moment here. Sending the kid to the door was cowardly, risky, and kind of mean.
    ~Erm… yeah, that’s a good idea. She already feels guilty about Bunting’s death. No need to rub it in by having her interview the family of someone else the UnSub killed.
    ~Cognitive interview: Teammate edition.
    ~Am I the only one amused by the fact that Emily completely brushes off the fact that if the partner wasn’t a nice guy she’d be dead? Or did I miss something?
    ~Ohhhhhh. I was confused by the dynamic between Joe and UnSub-whose-name-I-forget. Now I get it.
    ~Emily’s having a rough day, isn’t she?
    ~Oh good, we won. Lost an officer, which is bad, but we still got to save people.
    ~Hey, what’s with this 9:55 thing? Do we normally end this early and then have five minutes of commercials?

No promo, because next week is the 23rd of December, and CBS has decided not to give me a Christmas present in the form of a new episode of Criminal Minds. No fun. Although I could consider getting an Emily episode as a present.

5. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

scrooge, I too loved hearing the Joy Division cover. The producers should also check out some of the songs by "Lords of the New Church." They did some weird, spooky stuff like "Livin' on Livin'" ("the subterranean escapes the light into an empty space. I'll do my time prowling in the streets behind a human face") and "Dance With Me". Perfect songs for a serial killer. :lol: Also, maybe "In Shreds" by The Chameleons. And "Low" by Cracker. I love the song "The Funeral" by Band of Horses that's at the end of the "Revelations" episode. It's sad, but I love the melody and the lyrics. They are so poetic.

I'm surprised people thought Thomas Gibson would leave and Mandy Patinkin would come back permanently? I would love it though if Mandy could come back for a guest appearance. I wonder if Reid has been in touch with Gideon since he left on his road trip to find himself. What about Gideon's cabin? Has Reid been taking care of it, maybe going up there sometimes? Is Gideon still on his road trip? :lol:

I can't talk about the new ep because it hasn't aired yet in my time zone. I still have about an hour to wait.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  6. Half

Half CSI Level Two

Gideon can only come back if he's either A) dead or B) a serial killer. I will not have him any other way, because he annoys me. And no, I don't think Reid's been in touch with him because the break (especially the letter) felt rather final.

"Apparently she's arguing with the doctors." "That's good."
    and
    "How are you?" "I feel like I just got hit by a truck."
    we my two favorite exchanges in this episode. It wasn't the best episode ever, because it suffered a bit in flow and plot, but those two lines combined with the basic character stuff to save it from just being an Episode In Which A Team Member Is Injured. (And really, Emily needs to stop getting herself bashed in the head.)

I was laughing in spite of myself when they cut away from Emily bleeding on the side of the road to Rossi saying that they wrapped up their case. He barely gets the words out of his mouth before JJ comes in and proves how wrong he is.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  7. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i love those songs! i think lords of the new church would've been a good choice too :) it was interesting how dante didn't seem to change LWTUA *at all*, it was an identical arrangement. which i liked, it let me sing along ;)

8. xeri

xeri Hit and Run

Oooookay normally I'm not that easily annoyed, but it miffed me half the epi:

So for the drama effect a chara is in a crash that seems bad enough to have killed half the people if it wouldn't be against the plot line....
    Em is in shock and she can't master even a real little attempt to try to help when someone right beside her get's KILLED.....
    And then like 10 sec later she can get a partial plate number and is back at work 3 hours later ....yeah sure :shifty:
    I get that she played an important role and couldn't be unconsious half the epi ....but still *arrrggh*

Ok rant is over :p

Nice story line, with the family being saved after poor Hotch's drama.
    Liked the team dynamic and Morgan-Hotch interactions are always interesting.

I liked Gideon, but it feels like the team evolved quite a bit over the years and I just wouldn't know how he'll fit in now.
    Morgan got to feel what it's like being the boss ( and would he stepp down that easily for someone else than Hotch ??)...and Rossi is the quite and expiriensed chara ....
    Yeah well I'm happy with the team the way it is :) , even if I like watching Gideon in the old epis...

But he could come back just for a case would be interesting to watch the new chara dynamics....

@Destiny: thx for the infos :)

9. Half

Half CSI Level Two

Well... I'm torn on the "Em recovered too quickly" thing. The car could be explained as initial shock and pain, not to mention how stunned you'd be if the car you were in got hit by a truck. I wouldn't have found the plate thing too weird if she has remembered fewer numbers.

10. xeri

xeri Hit and Run

Just had to vent a little ;)
    The shock I get, just seemed a bit extreme her easy recovery and getting most of the plate.
    Guess they wanted to up the danger for Em a bit,with showing how "big bad" the guy is ...but just felt a bit flat for me, the way they killed off poor cop guy and suddenly Em is nearly allright again....

Ok enough or it's again a rant :lol: ...it's tv logic and I'll just enjoy the other parts of the epi ;)

11. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

Yeah, I liked the way he did the song exactly the same, too. :thumbsup:

My own comp is acting up again as usual and I'm running out of time here at the "shop", but I'll be back on again soon to give my opinion of this last ep. I will say though that I really dig Emily Prentiss. :) More later...

12. Half

Half CSI Level Two

It is TV logic, but I did think about it... If we ignore the license plate thing (which, btw, would've been better if it had come out during the cognitive interview, because that would've made sense), then it's possible that she shouldn't have gone back to work so soon, but she's Emily. She's on this team. They never stay in the hospital/on leave as long as they should. So that makes me accept that part a little (little) bit.

13. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Ep thoughts:

First scene: Run, Forrest, Run! :lol: Sorry, that just popped into my head for some reason.

A Martinez sure didn't last long.

"Any word on Emily?"
    "Apparently she's arguing with the doctors."
    "That's good." :lol:

Morgan to Prentiss: I like pushing you around. :lol:

Yeah... I didn't write much down this time. :lol:

14. Noel_687

Noel_687 Dead on Arrival

I like the ep but i think it was only cause the case took them to lockport ny an I got family up there.. I loved the Morgan Hotch moment at the end.

15. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

I thought the ep was well done even with the Emily quick recovery thing. I like her and the way she gets kind of flustered at times. She is really a likeable character. She's tough, but also has this vulnerable side to her, and is beautiful, but not in a bimbo type way. And sometimes she reminds me of a female Hotch. :lol: And I like to watch them in scenes together, even though I like watching Hotch and Rossi better. :)

I was surprised that A. Martinez didn't last long in the ep, too.

I really liked the very end where Morgan tells Hotch that he can take care of the papers so that Hotch can go home to his son. That was nice, and especially since you could tell Morgan was tired.

I think that this show is good at balancing out the scenes between all the characters so that fans of certain pairings get to see their pairing. I got a good dose of Hotch and Rossi in the last ep. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.