Debate/Dislike a Ship Thread -- CSI:Crime Scene Investigation, Part 2

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by happyharper13, May 19, 2009.

1. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

Re: Debate/Dislike a Ship Thread -- CSI:Crime Scene Investigation, Par

that's not true, imo. i never met a GSR supporter who would say something like that.

2. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Yeah? Really? What about your favourite website? I've seen many posts where they've said, "Oh let's just do away with the rest of the show and have the GSR show?" I'd link it but I'd be here all day.

Anyways, GSR was boring to me. I'm glad they're married now because at least the storyline has come full circle and now (at looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong last) the show can move on. I felt the storyline really dragged the show down in so many ways. There was never much development of the other characters like Greg and Nick and as a result there's a lot of resentment in the fandom because of it. It was poorly handled. Hopefully, other writers have taken note and will not make the same mistake (which GSR was) when they start writing a script.

3. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

i don't know what you're talking about, sorry. and if you read something like that somewhere it doesn't mean the majority of fans think this way.

as for other ships, just realized it would be so interesting to see Hank the Skank again. :) i don't want him murdered but it would be intriguing to see him involved with a case somehow, maybe even as an EMT, and watch him interact with Sara. i remember she was pretty beat after she realized he was cheating so i'd love it if she had a completely neutral "i'm so over you" attitude. hah

4. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

I'm fairly neutral about GSR, but I really don't like how people make it sound like it took over the show. Yes, Dead Doll and Living Doll were way too heavy on it. But really. Other than those two episodes, how many minutes of screentime did GSR really take up? Did we ever have an episode where GSR pre-empted the case, or GSR took up more minutes than the case?

I've gotten annoyed with certain aspects of GSR, but, in the end, I realize that a lot of what I have a problem with is more misplaced. A lot of us get frustrated because GSR creates character development for two characters while our favorite characters don't get that. The fact that our favorite characters aren't getting as much (if any) character development isn't the fault of GSR. It's more a characteristic of the show as a whole.

5. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I agree with you. It was defintely more attributed to the writers and they're method of dealing with it because it could have been there as well as developing other characters. No one should be sacrficed for other characters. It causes rifts.

6. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

See a lot of people say GSR didn't take up much time, but it did. Grissom and Sara worked nearly every case together in Season 7 and whether it was referred to or not, it was GSR being pushed to the forefront. If Grissom was conducting a relationship, with a subordinate, Sara should have been the LAST person he worked with. Defense lawyers would have a field day with this.

However, I agree with you about the character development. The other characters shouldn't have been put to the background for GSR.

And not to mention, but I will :thumbsup: IMHO there was NO romantic chemistry between Grissom and Sara, none whatsoever. I felt romantic chemistry between Grissom and Catherine, Grissom and Lady Heather, and even Grissom and Teri, but not Sara. Yes, there was chemistry between the characters, as the whole team has/had chemistry, that's what I always liked, however romantically speaking, there was none.

Frankly, if Grissom was going to end up with someone, it should have been Lady Heather, because she, and Catherine for that matter, are the only two women who truly understood/understand Grissom.

7. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

Is there an actual case-by-case or episode-by-episode breakdown that would back that up? Because I definitely remember hearing that argument refuted. It seems silly to even debate something like that that could be so easily proven or disproved with statistics.

And how does that make it different from every other show on TV? How many shows can you think of where characters don't date each other? Yes, it would be a conflict of interest in the real world. TV, however, is not the real world, and it has to sell. I don't see that part as any different than CSI making DNA tests run faster than they would in real life in order to fit them into an episode.

8. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

If you read my post, I said NEARLY every case, I didn't say every case. So sorry if my opinions are silly and until someone shows me the proof, I'll keep debating and when I find time in my hectic life to watch every episode in Season 7, I'll log it. Now you state it's be refuted, but that's not proof to me, Cite your source. However no matter what statistics there are it can and will be debated. That's life.

How is that different, easy, tptb didn't want CSI to become a soap opera, but GSR made it just that, a soap opera. CSI is not like every other show, it's procedural, not a comedy nor a typical drama. Showing a character's personal life here and there is fine, but making it the focus of the show, a procedural show, is not the way to go. Besides, if GSR was so popular because of Grissom and Sara, where are the fans now? Sara's return hasn't raised the ratings and the ratings will remain low because Grissom isn't there, they've handle Ray wrong, and they've dumbed down the other characters, even Sara. So if Sara was so precious to the GSR fans and they fought to get her back, where are they? You'd think there would have been a huge jump in the ratings.

Now comes the point that GSR has come full circle and I think we could go through one season without any reference to it. We've been dealing with it since Season 1 and it's time to end it. Please don't say it's only been since the end of Season 6, because this has been building since Season 1.

Also, just because it's TV doesn't make what Grissom did any less unethical, and working cases with Sara was wrong. Whether you want to believe it or not, Grissom has always been a favorite of mine, but he has handled things wrong and has been hypocritical. He has 'reprimanded' the other characters for doing what he does or did. That in there is where the problem arises.

9. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Well, it is in fact a TV, & their fictional characters, but on one of the CSI's a couple are married and work together, [Danny & Lindsay on CSI/Miami] and Grissom and Sara kept it hidden and private which was very appealing, for the reason that hard-core fans saw it, & knew eventually it would come to fruition. And, I think some of the team knew, Warrick, Brass and Doc, but they were discreet and kept it a secret. But that's water under the bridge, their married now so who cares anymore why it happend. I thought from the 1st time I saw them, the chemistry was so strong and so compelling it was powerful & overwhelming:p I do hope they bring in a love interest for one of the other CSI's it's time~

[​IMG]

10. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

GSR is Grissom and Sara, and there is no Grissom in S10. so even though Sara is there, it doesn't mean GSR is back. besides, the GSR storyline has been finished. they got together, they are married, they seem happy. nothing else to talk about anymore, really. besides, the whole CSI fandom is getting burned out. it's a natural process for a 10 year old TV show.

11. Desertwind

:confused:CSI's ratings are winning and toppng out all other shows on the Thrus. 9 o'clock time slot. This weeks "Lovers Lane" brought in 16 million and the trilogy Vegas, show ratings were 17,380 hardly dropping. And Jorja's fans are thrilled she's back, the figures don't lie. And WP will probably make a 'guest 'spot' down the line:thumbsup:

12. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

The ratings are where they were last season (give or take), so Jorja has not made an impact. Now Grissom coming back, that would make an impact.

Yes her fans are thrilled, I don't dispute that, however, the ratings do not show that.

Yes, I know GSR is Grissom and Sara, that's my point. If everyone loved GSR and they're fans of Jorja, wouldn't they still want to watch the show even if Grissom isn't there? To watch Jorja? To get a reference to the ship? If GSR was so popular, why aren't they watching CSi to at least see Sara?

13. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

True..and they have dumbed down the other characters for Ray. In fact, Matt Roush said something of the sorts

From Matt Roush at www.tvguidemagazine.com
    Question: Watching the first part of the
    CSI trilogy, I’m wondering why CSIs don't share info with fellow CSIs. Take blunt force trauma to the head. How many times must they show a plastic head filled with red ink being smashed by various objects—hammers, bats, golf clubs, etc, and always by a CSI in a clean white lab coat? You would think by now the department must have complete records of heads, blunt-force trauma and blood-splatter patterns. And what’s with Langston bringing in slides of various cutting utensils to Miami? He examines the wound and pulls out his personal slide collection and declares the cuts were made by a cleaver. Wow, and Horatio didn't have a clue. And Langston's been on the job for less than a year. How many years for H and Company? What is it about a guest star playing a visiting CSI that makes the regulars seem dumb as dirt?—Dewey

Matt Roush: Sometimes a stunt is just a stunt and there’s no way to pretty or smarten it up. That was the case with the CSI trilogy, which did well in the ratings but which seemed to me like a complete creative shambles. You could nitpick this story to death. It made precious little sense as it hopscotched between cities and crimes (from organ harvesting to prostitution), and no matter how hard the franchise tries, it hasn’t been able to do much with Laurence Fishburne’s ill-conceived role.

So a lot of people aren't happy with CSI.

Trying not to shy away from the topic, but I agree. The ratings are holding steady in spite of Grissom's departure.

As for ships. Well I don't think it would be so bad to start one so if the show does end this season or the next, at least this one ship could go off in the sunset.

14. Desertwind

And on Dr. Langstons role he is married I believe, and he was an expert on serial killers when Grissom visited him in "19 Down" so his background is extensive in that area which the trilogy was about. I think some fans would like to see some romance on CSI, after our GSR ended up happily married, that's not a far stretch, some don't want or care for that scenerio, and some do~

15. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

how do you know they are not watching?

i don't think it could be categorized in such a definite way. the big drop in ratings is something all shows are suffering from, and CSI is a dinosaur with 2 spin-offs. you can't say all GSR fans are not watching, or all WP fans gave up on it. it's the mix of a billion factors and each person's case is different. the number of reasons for not watching is mounting up, and that is the general explanation for falling ratings.

1. show is old
    2. Ray is unpopular, he wasn't written well
    3. Grissom left
    4. Warrick is dead
    5. writers are running out of ideas, show becomes schematic
    6. there are 2 spin-offs that are doing the same thing
    7. some people were turned off by GSR
    8. character development of the old regulars have been put on back burner
    9. competition from other shows/tough timeslot
    10. Sara left, came back, left, came back, and is going to leave again
    11. GSR is gone
    etc...