Debate/Dislike a Ship Thread -- CSI:Crime Scene Investigation, Part 2

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by happyharper13, May 19, 2009.

1. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Re: Debate/Dislike a Ship Thread -- CSI:Crime Scene Investigation, Par

There's always a possibility that TPTB may read the comments here and change actresses. I found the actress was just too young looking compared to George. She's a young-looking actress.

Besides, why wouldn't they hire someone older than Nick, but then this is Hollywood and they like to put the older actresses out to pasture.

I respectfully disagree with you, Speedy. I may ship them, but that doesn't mean I can never see the character with anyone else, although I wouldn't want him to date anyone on the team, but as far as others go, there's a few he woudl work with. But I could have been happy had been dating Wendy, or even the girl that worked with him in Dog Eat Dog, the Asian girl who explained dog behaviour to him. I'm sorry I don't remember her name though, but I really liked her. I thought she and Nick had great chemistry together.

2. kuadgse

kuadgse Civilian

Good work !
    Very cool, looking great so far. Keep going, I wanna see it finished!

3. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

i really hope there won't be any new ships on the show involving Nick or anybody else for that matter. ok, i admit i loved the Nick/Mandy scene when he sang, and Wedges does not irritate me so much anymore but i don't want to see more. except an occasional GSR mention, of course.

4. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Well of course it's okay for GSR, but that doesn't mean there can't be anymore? There are other characters on the show

Or is there another reason? Certain interviews given as of late got your goat?;)

*shrugs*

5. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

I agree with Adzix. An occasional GSR mention is fine. I'm not a big GSR fan, but I recognize that it's canon, and I'd rather see some degree of continuity.

Plus, it's just nice to see Sara so happy. I am actually finding GSR -- where it's causing no angst and being executed as a long-distance relationship capable of helping Sara (and presumably Grissom, somewhere off in France) return to being a quirky, happy, sassy and, all in all, so much more likable character -- to actually be helping the series. The relationship is being executed with more maturity, without the melodrama and misery, and only with the occasional humorous quip.

Regardless, I don't think Adzix meant that GSR itself was deserving of being treated differently because of his/her own preference for it, but rather because it's already there. Mentioning it is simply honoring continuity, which I think is something on which we'd all agree CSI has been rather weak in the past.

What interviews?

6. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

One that GE gave as of late that has got some fans of Jorja and Eric up in arms, but nevermind. I'm sorry I mentioned it.

7. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

you got it right. :) but as a fan of GSR i can't deny i also find it enjoyable to watch. i don't think there should be any more canon ships b/c that would hurt the show. plus as a personal preference, i don't think i would've liked them. it's okay to toy with some possibilites but a second GSR-like story-arc at a moment when the show is plummeting in ratings would be an overkill.

8. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Bolding is mine. You're right it would hurt the show, just like GSR did. Besides with Hodges and Wendy they are heading that way and there will be another canon ship on the show.

Now Nick having a love interest wouldn't be canon as she would just be a recurring a character. Which works for me, as it wouldn't be the focus of the show (like GSR) and you still get a personal story on a character that just pops up every now and again. Just like they did with Catherine's 'love interests'.

9. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

Apologies for any typos here. My hands are still defrosting from the night out. The definition of canon, at least as it applies here, would be anything that happens on the show, so I'm really not sure what you mean by a Nick/April relationship not being canon and, as a result, somehow different.

10. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Sorry, my interpretation of canon ship is between regular cast members. In any case, you are right, it would be canon.

However, it still doesn't change the fact that IMO GSR ruined the show and as for Nick/April's relationship (if it happens at all) wouldn't be shoved own our throats. So really it wouldn't be the same thing. The relationship would not be between two main cast members, who work nearly every case together and reference to relationship in nearly every episode. So again, not the same thing. The show wouldn't be written to constantly refer to it or take over the show.

And for a GSR fan to say that another canon ship would ruin the show and say nothing about their ship doing that is not right.

In any case, as for Nick and April, their relationship would be in the background and not the forefront and no matter what, they need to find another actress, because there was zero chemistry and I can't see those two together.

11. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

all i'm saying is that i'm okay with TPTB playing with other characters, Nick/Mandy, Hodges/Wendy, Ray/stripper, whatever. i just do not want to see another ship becoming one of the continuous subplots throughout a few seasons. i think one ship is enough and two would make CSI look like GA.

and GSR didn't ruin the show to me. CSI got even more interesting and i got more hooked on it. shallowy-speaking, another ship would ruin it to me, b/c other ships usually annoy me. is it fair? well maybe not. but that's just the way it is, and i'm free to think whatever i want about this.

it's all a matter of opinion and preference, which shouldn't be argued about b/c we'll never come to an agreement.

12. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

And I'm free to think what I want and I never said you couldn't think what you want. I was stating my opinion and I still say it is wrong for GSR fans to only want their ship on the show.

I don't think there should be any ships between the main/regular characters. If a character is going to have a relationship then it should be with a character that is recurring and I mean barely recurs. Like what they did with Catherine's boyfriends.

Having said that, if they went with Nick and April together, or Catherine and love interest for her, it still wouldn't be the same thing as GSR as it would not be the focus on the show. I like the little insights into their personal lives, but when it takes over the show, that isn't GA, it ruins it.

Sara's return hasn't raised the ratings, so IMO tptb only thought it was popular because of how vocal GSR fans (ok, not all of them) were. IMO Sara returning has proven that it wasn't as popular as tptb thinks it was.

Though it may not sound like it, I do respect your opinion, Adzix, but to me you came off as my ship is the one ship and no one else is entitled to have one or have their ship on the show. Obviously, I'm not the only one who thought that. You may not have meant that, but I think you did. Now, having said that, I don't ship or slash anyone on the show, but if I did I would probably be the same way. :lol: So there you go. :lol:

13. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

see in my book if you don't state this specifically, i wouldn't know. by telling me i'm not doing something right, i interpreted it as you telling me how i should think. but i guess it's okay now, when you explained what you meant. :)

well, i don't really perceive it this way. i don't think of it as who is entitled to one ship or another to become canon. i don't like any other ships and wouldn't want them on-screen b/c they annoy me and i don't think they would be good for the show.

it's the same way with people being against GSR, and voicing their opinion on it. they're not anti- b/c they think fans are not entitled to GSR ship, but b/c they just don't like the two characters together. i happen not to be a fan of other ships (well except GLH, but that won't happen and i enjoy Greg flirting with Sara) and i really wouldn't want to look at Nick, Greg or Ecklie making out with some chick. i would have to change the channel, lol. it's my preference of how i perceive characters and nothing personal against the fans.

14. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I don't believe you can equate Jorja's return with the return of GSR. Sure there were fans who tuned in initially to see what happened with them after Costa Rica, but some of the fans who tuned in to see GSR together are gone, since there is no news of WP returning. With Jorja back the ratings have stabilized, whereas they were continuing to drop on a weekly basis at the end of last season. From what I have read on other more objective sites (meaning, not just dedicated to CSI), is that viewers missed the original cast chemistry, and a lot of people think she has helped with that. I think it was Nina Tassler who said Jorja's return was to bring back a 'comfort' level for fans in the wake of so many character departures. I'm pretty sure tptb realize that without WP, the ratings would not increase dramatically.

As for other relationships, I definitely would like to see something; it helps the characters be more human to me. I just don't want it to be the same theme that happened with Grissom and Sara; ie, all the angst and the 'can't be with her because I love my job' thing. It worked for Grissom, because he was such an enigma; but Hodges, for example, has always wanted a relationship with a girl, so it just doesn't seem realistic to me that he wouldn't give up his (shift) job to be with Wendy, who's clearly quite a catch.

That's why I love that Grissom and Sara are finally together and married. Their angst wore me down near the end. So let's keep them together, get Nick a girlfriend on the side, have Greg do some dating, put Hodges and Wendy together, give Catherine a decent guy (and bring Lindsey back), and have a little relationship drama for all. I believe that a lot of the problems with GSR on this site is that the other characters' personal lives were put on the back burner. It doesn't have to be Grey's Anatomy, but give each character some personal relationship time; it just helps keep fans interested. The cases become repetitive with so many crime dramas on tv, so let's mix it up with character drama. It looks like they are pursuing a personal storyline for Ray (with his mysterious wife), so let's hope the other characters will get their due.

15. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I kind of perceived it that way too, but I think you probably did mean that no other ship exists except "my GSR" because the majority of GSR fans wanted the foresnics to be set aside and the GSR be the centre of the show, the remainder still kept it in perspective, yes it was nice drama, but the show is a crime show.

Now my feeling is Nick will be seen with April again based on another interview with GE, but it depends on a number of factors. We don't even know if CSI will see another season so they just drop it all together. Which is sad because I may not have taken to April, but it would be nice to see Nick in a relationshiop.

Now as for Nick/Mandy, I do think they would make a great couple because they were pretty opposite of one another, while Grissom and Sara were pretty angsty and it was draining the energy out of the show, IMHO. Nick and Mandy would add an element of humour and sweetness to an otherwise sad show.

But that's just me. I don't expect everyone to go for it.