The Official Pet Thread pt2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Jul 24, 2008.

1. rhee52

rhee52 Hit and Run

I have four dogs... Colleen is the eldest and the queen of the bunch, Clooney is my princess, she is epileptic so I take care of her more, Mick-Mick is my prince who loves to be photographed & finally Geeboy, if you watched marley & me that's how he is:lol:

2. .speed.delko.

.speed.delko. Rookie

Ooooh, a pet thread! :D

I don't have any cats of my own anymore :( I used to have three cats (as well as two hamsters, a hermit crab and fishies before the youngest cat came along) but they all died :(

But we've practically adopted the neighbor's cat. His owners go away to Florida for the winter and leave him so for six to eight months of the year, he sees us. :D

3. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

My baby, Thomas. Peaking over the back of the living room couch. :lol:

We're closing in on 2 years of him being alive that we didn't think we were going to get. :bolian: Here's hoping for more. :)

Susan

4. .speed.delko.

.speed.delko. Rookie

Aww! What a cutie! :D

What happened to him?

5. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

He had a cancerous tumor in his large intestine. They did a partial colonoscopy and then about 4 months later he had a hernia. His body couldn't take any more of the meds they gave us to stop any infection so he almost died before they figured that out and took him off them. And then around last February he got another hernia. So, all together he had 1 minor surgery for the biopsy and 3 major surgeries in about a year and a half. We had one scary time a couple of months ago when he kept vomiting when he ate, but he's been doing really good lately.

Susan

6. .speed.delko.

.speed.delko. Rookie

Wow, that's just awful! :( I'm very sorry to hear about it, but thank goodness he's alright now! :D Happy 2nd extra year of being alive to him :p

My youngest cat had diabetes, he fought with it for two years before dying. He used to be 17 lbs, then dropped down to 9 and we took him to a vet. There, it was discovered he had diabetes and had to be put on insulin. He never did get back to full health, but he fought good for a long time before dying in August of 2005 in the Veterinary ER. :(

7. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

I haven't read the whole thread, but I guess I am the only one here who has got rats as pets. At the moment I have 18 (yes 18!), but some of them are babies and will hopefully find new homes.

8. allmaple

allmaple Judge

turns out foreman is actually a girl... woops! :lol: she was really squirmy the first day and kept freaking out when we were checking, so just assumed boy. her name is staying foreman though :D

cuddy has taken very well to being in a house, she must have been a pet at some point. although she is a picky eater! i would never have thought a stray cat would be a picky eater. have found something she likes better now so that is good.

kitten pile!

9. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

They are cute little ones allmaple. Are you going to try and smuggle them home at Christmas :lol:

10. SpeedyMeg25

SpeedyMeg25 Coroner

My stray cat was the same way. He would only eat certain types of cat food, and sometimes he would only want to eat kitty treats. He was so much more picky than our indoor cats that it was really kind of funny. He must have been eating very well at wherever he came from.

Those kittens are adoarble though, I think you're going to have a hard time not taking them home with you. :D

Oh, and I hope Thomas and yourself have many more fantastic years blackflag :)

11. .speed.delko.

.speed.delko. Rookie

Aw, adorable, allmagpie! :D

Do the stray cats ever go out and bring back unnecessary awards.

AKA animals they caught and killed :rolleyes:

Last year, JR brought back animal carcass on the front mat. I had no idea it was there and I stepped outside for a second and felt something squishy beneath me. When I looked at what it was, I saw a mushed furry pink mass :wtf: I think it was a mouse, it seemed the right look for it :wtf:

12. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i had rats! their pictures must be in the old thread. they passed away while i was at school last year :( but they did live a lot longer than the average rat. my mom is horribly allergic though, so i probably will not be getting more although i would love to have them!

i think pixie would kill any cat we brought in the house! she may be coming up on 18, but no other animal is allowed in her house. this summer my friends rhodesian ridgeback was over (in the back yard) and pixie was trying to attack him through the sliding glass door!

plus it is very hard to get animals off the island, with so many vet students wanting their pets here the airlines really restrict the amount of animals they will take on board. so people get their animals certified on the internet as "emotional support" animals. i think it is very shady and the airlines are going to crack down and allow only medical service animals soon. which ruins it for the people who really need emotional support animals.

luckily cuddy has shown no interest in going outside. we still close the door on their room when we need to open the door though. plus my landladys dog is a bit unpredictable, wouldnt want him to eat her!

13. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

Do you remember how old they were before they passed away? I had a rat who was 3 years and 4 months before she died. All other rats have been around 2 ½ year old before they passed away. So mine haven't lived longer than the average rat so far.

My mum is afraid of my rats, just like almost everyone else. But I guess that's nothing compared to being really allergic to them though.

14. allmaple

allmaple Judge

wow that rat lived a long time! mine lived 2 and a half years and i thought that was long. when i got them (from a lab at school) i was told 2 years was pretty long. they did have quite bad bumblefoot by the end, nothing i did cleared it up. i got to see my boys when i was home last christmas, and if they had only made it another two months i could have been home with them when they passed :(

15. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician