The Official Pet Thread pt2

DaWacko, I hope you didn't really mean to get her shot. :eek: Good to hear you finally found another place to stay for you temp cat.

Actually I did... both my own cats disappeared for a while because of her. If we didn't leave the kitten, then it probably would have been different thing but still. I was annoyed because they said she'll be here only few weeks and she ended up being here for over two months.

Cricket is going in for his surgery (finally!) tomorrow. Good thoughts are appreciated. I have to take him in the morning and leave him, then go to work.

I'm off tomorrow, so hopefully he'll be ready to come home then and I can keep an eye on him.

Thanks for the good thoughts, everyone! Cricket came through his surgery just fine, and I can bring him home tomorrow afternoon.

Now I have another dilemma! A stray kitty has appeared on my patio. He's the cutest thing! I fed him, and he's eating like there's no tomorrow. I can't bring him inside because of my other cat, so I'm hoping he'll stick around until tomorrow and maybe I can take him to the shelter.

I'm just worried about him right now. See, he's right out there where I can see him. I don't really want him to leave, in case he's lost (but I didn't see any ads for him in the paper). I don't know how to make him stay tho. :(

He seems as starved for attention as he is for food. So I'm afraid he's going to look in the window all evening at me.

Anyway, I hope he sticks around. I don't know what else to do.

Smokey, I don't know about the weather where you live, but around here, we are having hot days, cool nights, and a chance of thunder storms. The shelter might be a better place than outdoors. Several years ago, a large orange cat used to come around once in a while, but I think it would return home at night. I would give it a few snacks. But I haven;t seen it in a long time. But at one of my part time jobs, a stray cat lived in a crawl space under the building and would refuse to come in, so we fed it out by the back door.

Well, it curled up in the flower bed, which was cute, but then here came the danged raccoon! It kept coming up trying to get the kitty's food, and the kitty scared it away a few times, but it kept coming back, and if it came down to it that raccoon was going to win a fight!

So I brought the kitty in and put him in the garage. I don't like to do that, but I don't want to leave it outside with the raccoon all night either. :confused:

I guess I'll see if he settles down in there or causes a fuss through the evening. But yes, I will take him to the shelter in the morning if I still have him.

Although, that will make me cry when I leave him there. :(

Oh Smokey, I'm glad Cricket will be ok and what a cutie.

Now for the other dilemma. Maybe if you make a little bed for it, it will calm down. Keep some food and water in there and it should be happy. Go and check on him/her every once in awhile. It seems like an affectionate cat and probably wants attention too.

Do you have a 24 hr. vet hospital you could take it too? Maybe they can keep the cat until the morning and take it to the shelter.

Or get the kitty checked out and keep it. I don't know how the other kitties would like that, but you never know. See I think part of you wants to keep it and believe me, I'd be feeling that way too.

I'm not really helping am I? Are you looking for someone to say keep the cat? Then keep the cat, but get it checked out first. If not, then taking the cat to the shelter is the best thing, even if it will make you sad. :(

Thanks, Speedy. You helped. :)

I went out to check on him, and he's sitting under my car. He meowed at me, but he wouldn't come out to me. That kind of worried me, because when he was outside he was all over me.

And he has food and water in there.

This is turning into a very stressful night!

What if he won't come out from under the car in the morning?!

Last edited:
Smokey if he would come out you may have to go under :) but seriously you could try luring him out with some cat treats. I know cats shouldn't have milk but you could try that. If you have any people food that your cats like you may want to try that. Don't worry about him staying under you car. He's jsut scared.

When you take him to the shelter in the morning make sure they scan him to see if he has a microchip. If he does they may be able to find his owners. That's of course if they want to find him. This is like how we got our first cat 13 years ago.

Smokey if he would come out you may have to go under :) but seriously you could try luring him out with some cat treats. I know cats shouldn't have milk but you could try that. If you have any people food that your cats like you may want to try that. Don't worry about him staying under you car. He's jsut scared.

When you take him to the shelter in the morning make sure they scan him to see if he has a microchip. If he does they may be able to find his owners. That's of course if they want to find him. This is like how we got our first cat 13 years ago.

Thanks, Cap'n. :) I went back out and he came out and played some more. I put a litter box out for him, although I don't know if he knows how to use it. He just hopped in and played with the sand. :)

He's so tiny! He's not a baby, but he's definitely a kitten. He looks just like Cricket except smaller and with longer fur. And his tail is a bit crooked. Makes me think he's been on his own for some time.

^Glad to hear that Cricket came thru the surgery alright.

As for the kitten, you fed it so it will be back. It knows you're a good person and wants you to take it in. ;)

Meh, I think my test to buy cheaper catfood has failed :lol: They only get dryfood at home, I've bought 2kg bag of Latz (Felix in UK, Purina's product) and I thought I try some Kitekat, because it's 2euros cheaper... they dislike it. Except my little kitten, who eats it - despite the fact that he has special Junior food, brand is Whiskas (and he mostly ignores those) :lol: I don't even dare to try Friskies (perhaps Go Cat in UK?)

Ah, otherwise things are starting to settle. Mauri has got his first mice, caught by me. Older cats tolerate hime more and more. Oldest one approves him - as long as he doesn't try to play with her :lol: Right now I hear low grrrrrrrrrr behind me. Younger one plays with Mauri now and then, even she is not so much into it anymore.

Kitten update.

He spent the night in my garage, ate his food, and used the makeshift litter box I put in there for him.

I took him to the shelter this morning. It broke my heart. I know it was the right thing, but seeing his little face and hearing him meow as they took him away... :(

So of course, on the papers I was filling out and signing between tears, I marked the box that said I wanted to adopt him if he became available.

I don't know if I will, but I want the chance to think about it. My sister-in-law thought they couldn't take him but said she'd talk to my brother when he woke up (he works nights). I'm going to call him this afternoon tho and beg him to take the kitty because I already fell in love with it. And I'll pay the adoption fees and everything. Heck, I may even offer to buy its food and pay for vet visits for the rest of its life if they'll take him!

Such a roller coaster. Now I have to go pick up Cricket from his surgery. And I'm going to ask my vet what she thinks about introducing a new pet into the house.

Back