Horatio and Stetler - past, present, future

I'd like a story development that puts BOTH men in charge of the lab, something that will force them to work together

I'm starting to think that wouldn't be such a bad fanfic. I can just imagine these two snapping at one another! What say? :lol:

I'd like a story development that puts BOTH men in charge of the lab, something that will force them to work together

I'm starting to think that wouldn't be such a bad fanfic. I can just imagine these two snapping at one another! What say? :lol:

Oh I think it could be nice and angsty. ladyd10 was the one who came up with this possible scenario, I think.

I'm going to go nab some sleep before the episode tonight. I hope my alarm goes off when it's supposed to. I'll be on here later.

Much as I love the Rickster, I don't think he'd be the brightest bulb in the chandelier when it came to handling lab equipment. I can just imagine something like a flu epidemic, all the CSI's are absent or something, and Rick has to be an extra pair of hands. Horatio's in the lab, and he's sweating bullets while Rick struggles to put on a pair of gloves, and Horatio's scared to death Rick might drop something. And of course Rick will snap at him in his own way.

Hey, I think that'd make as good an epi as anything they've been coming up with lately. Our first-line characters all out sick with the flu, and the second string are all in charge of everything. :lol:

Much as I love the Rickster, I don't think he'd be the brightest bulb in the chandelier when it came to handling lab equipment. I can just imagine something like a flu epidemic, all the CSI's are absent or something, and Rick has to be an extra pair of hands. Horatio's in the lab, and he's sweating bullets while Rick struggles to put on a pair of gloves, and Horatio's scared to death Rick might drop something. And of course Rick will snap at him in his own way.

Hey, I think that'd make as good an epi as anything they've been coming up with lately. Our first-line characters all out sick with the flu, and the second string are all in charge of everything. :lol:

Interesting idea! It could be a comedy episode! And since Rick isn't used to using lab equipment, he probably would fumble a bit. Then he'd have to ask H how to use something. It would make for a funny lighthearted scene.

Rick would NEVER make it in the lab without thorough training. The lab requires one to have finesse with lab equipment and a whole different set of skills - especially when the outcome of a case depends on your accuracy. Having worked in similar type labs, I could definitely see Horatio cringing scared to death with Rick present and attempting to work in the lab. There would definitely be some serious pissing matches in the lab - Horatio IS a scientist - Rick isn't - so there would be issues with who is subordinate to whom - AGAIN.

I think in the beginning Stetler was out to get H anyway he could, even if that ment going after his team. I never did understand the whole being abusive to Yelina thing. Did they really need to do that? Was Stetler only dating her because he knew that H wanted her also? Over the seasons I have seen Stetler change into someone who is now helping out the CSI's more. Now he can not help it if he has to do his job because they screw up like Delco did with his Dad.

Watching some of the episodes that I have seen lately, I have been like "why did they not have Stetler in this one?"

Ooh... nice thread! <Hehe, evil thoughts> H & Stets. Aww, they're just so cute together!

I still remember the scene in Blood Brother where Stets walks in & asks H if Yelina was "available". And H in all his H-ness :cool: smiles & says: "Why don't you take it up with her?".

At that point Stets make this extremely cute clueless face... :guffaw: a moment later Yelina walks in & our boy Stets makes a slip!

That scene made me laugh so much! It made me feel real disappointed at first simply because H didn't slam him into a wall or something. But I had to admit this scene was the highlight of the H-Stets relationship. :thumbsup:

Both DC & DLS pulled their best acts... H with his integrity & Stets with his comic relief.

It was such a treat then, you know the way any little thing Stets did would simply annoy H :). And now when ever I watch the newer episodes I always hope at the back of my head that whoever writes that particular scene would please, for heavens sake, please make it simple!

Here's the link to the scene uploaded by one of our very own, CSIPusher:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icp8pzNy-dc

Last edited:
YAAAAAY! Thanks for reviving this thread! I love watching those old Stets/Red headbutting contests.
I figure since they're doing some flashbacks this season, wouldn't it be great to see more of the history between these two? When Rick made his debut in Blood Brothers, it was obvious that there was one. H seemed to know exactly who Rick was. I get the feeling they had a pretty colorful past.
And as I said on the other thread, I'd hope to see tptb develop Rick's role as COS (I think that's "Commander of Operations Security", but can't find anything useful on Google)
Many Stetler fans agree that Yelina's black eye was OOC for Rick. He would purposefully stick it to H whenever he could, but he seemed to want to do what was best for the department. To be sure, nobody ever confirms or denies that Rick was the one who gave her the shiner. I think that was just another storyline tptb trotted out to give Horatio one more reason to "rescue" Yelina as she began her long slide into being a codependent girlfriend, but I digress.

Horatio is a guy ruled by intuition, so naturally he'd butt heads with an ambitious fellow like Stets. But the two seem to have a mutual respect for one another, history aside; at least they were able to keep their rivalry in check when the lab was being held hostage. Stetler has made efforts to assist the team in the past, for which H has been grateful. I love both characters, and would love to see a Stetler driven episode at long last. I happen to think these two would make great partners. :)

Now i've heard it said that H deserves a promotion to Captain. While i admit that'd be cool, i think it far more likely that Stetler would get it. He's more bureacratic than H is, H has angered too many higher ups, and Stets is essentially the Ecklie to H's Grissom. Don't know if that makes much sense, but thats my two cents at least. :rolleyes:

Horatio is a guy ruled by intuition, so naturally he'd butt heads with an ambitious fellow like Stets. But the two seem to have a mutual respect for one another, history aside; at least they were able to keep their rivalry in check when the lab was being held hostage. Stetler has made efforts to assist the team in the past, for which H has been grateful. I love both characters, and would love to see a Stetler driven episode at long last. I happen to think these two would make great partners. :)

I couldn't agree more. I've always thought they would, too. But first the writers would have to write an episode where Horatio finds out that Rick really didn't hit Yelina, that something else happened. And maybe that would lead to them working through their other disagreements so they could come to a place of real mutual respect leading to friendship.

Look at my sig banner of Hotch and Rossi from Criminal Minds. That's how I wish it could be for Horatio and Rick. But I've reached the point where I think the only way David Lee Smith is going to have a role like this is if he gets on another show. I mean I've waited two years for an increase in David Lee Smith's screentime, and there's been no real improvement. Sure they finally made him Lieutenant, but with no storyline to go with it. So disappointing. They could've had some interesting dialog between H and Rick over his promotion. They still can have that dialog like in the next episode, but will they? These writers? The way the show has spread itself so thin with so many characters, I doubt it.

Now i've heard it said that H deserves a promotion to Captain. While i admit that'd be cool, i think it far more likely that Stetler would get it. He's more bureacratic than H is, H has angered too many higher ups, and Stets is essentially the Ecklie to H's Grissom. Don't know if that makes much sense, but thats my two cents at least. :rolleyes:

Well that would make an interesting twist, that's for sure! :devil: But personally I think Horatio should become Captain as long as it didn't mean he loses screentime and Jesse takes over the show. Horatio as Captain could still be really active like Brass is on CSI:LV. And then we find out that Jesse is leaving Miami PD to work as a CIA agent. Then Lieutenant Rick Stetler and Captain Horatio Caine would be working together which is how things should've gone. And still can with a major overhaul of the writers/producers. And there you all have MY two cents.

Last edited:
I think that if Stetler and H work together, they should be at the same level. If H gets promoted again and is above Stetler, I think that would still cause conflict between the two.

crimekat, just wanted to let you know that you have up to 24 hours to edit your posts as opposed to double posting -- which, done multiple times, can be seen as spamming. Thanks. :)

Back