CSI: One Way Out

allmaple

Judge
ok, so after a long hiatus and a lot of writers block i had a new idea for a story. this case kind of popped into my head so i wrote it out. hope you like it, and hope i can keep you on your toes ;)

Nick stood in one corner of the room, trying to survey the mess in front of him. ‘This guy sure put up one hell of a fight’ he thought to himself.

“T.O.D is about 2 p.m.” David said from the body. “He’s all yours now.”

Nick snapped out of his trance. “Thanks Super Dave.” Carefully stepping over the broken glass and tipped tables Nick returned to the body.

“Man, these guys must have really been going at it.” Warrick called over from across the room. “I don’t think anything in this room isn’t broken.” He continued to snap pictures of the scene.

But something else had caught Nick’s eye. A gun placed underneath the victims left arm. “Warrick, check this out.” He called to his partner.

“Now leaving the gun at the scene is one thing,” Warrick said as he took a picture. “But placing it under the body? That’s a new kind of weird.”

Nick took out his powder and brush, gently dusting the handle and barrel of the gun. “Perfect print. I bet you we’ll have this one solved before breakfast!”

“Aren’t you getting ahead of yourself there Nicky? But if you really want me to take your money that’s fine by me.” Warrick responded with a grin.

Brass walked in through the front door. “Well I’ve just seen the neighbors; no one saw anything and no one heard anything.”

“What?” Nick called out in disbelief. “Whoever was in here fighting with this guy tore the room apart, and then put three bullets in him in the middle of the day! How does no one hear that??”

“Funny thing about organized crime,” Brass replied. “No one talks. We’ve been on to the vic for sometime now. We thought he was one of Rick Malone’s boys, doing his drug trafficking most likely.”

“Well lucky for us they were sloppy enough to leave the gun; Malone’s boys can’t seem to stay out of trouble for too long.” Nick suggested. “I’ll head back to the lab and see what I can get off this print. Then Warrick can take me out for breakfast. Ain’t that right cupcake?”

“Oh it’s on.” Warrick called after Nick.

“You don't think one of Malone’s boys is good for this?” Brass asked Warrick after Nick had left.

“I think there’s more to it than that.” Warrick replied. “You don’t go and off your best trafficker and leave the gun behind. Something doesn’t feel right, and I’m going to find out.”

When Warrick returned to the lab, he headed off to see Bobby about the gun left beside the body and the bullets that killed the victim.

“Hey Warrick,” Bobby greeted him. “I just ran the bullets from the John Daily case; they don’t match the gun left at the scene.”

“That’s strange.” Warrick huffed. “Is the gun registered?"

“It is.” Bobby replied. “To John Daily. And get this, it was used in a homicide 4 years ago but Daily was never convicted for it.”

“What?” Warrick said in disbelief. “I think this just became personal.” He headed off to find Nick.

Nick was in the print lab trying to find a match to the one from the gun. As Warrick entered the room the computer found a match. “Ooh,” Nick cooed at the screen. “Pretty girl.”

“Well the pretty girl probably isn’t the killer.” Warrick informed him. “The gun that was planted under the body isn’t the one that was used to kill him.”

“Well this Evelyn Green could still be good for it. She was charged with possession 2 years ago but that was later dropped. She could be part of Malone’s drug cell.” Nick told Warrick. “Now she is dying to meet me. Grab Brass, I’m driving.”

After getting no answer at Evelyn Green’s home, the trio tries a bar off strip that is frequented by members of Malone’s gang. The sultry Green was easily spotted amongst a group of other women near the bar.

“Evelyn Green? I’m Detective Jim Brass; we have some questions for you.”

She eyed all three men over before responding. “Being approached by three men like you should be the start to lucky night, but I have a feeling it’s not going to turn out that way. Is it?”

Nick coughed uncomfortably at Evelyn’s advance. “I’m Nick Stokes and this is Warrick Brown from the crimelab. We need to ask you about John Daily.”

“Did Debbie set this up? Are you going to handcuff me now or would you prefer to be the one to wear them?” Evelyn played with the straw in her drink as she spoke to Nick, as if to tease him.

“Ok look,” Brass interrupted. “This is a homicide investigation. If you’re not going to co-operate we can take you downtown.”

Evelyn shot a piercing look at Brass before turning her attention back to Nick. She took a step closer to him until their bodies were almost touching, and whispered into his ear. “He’s watching us now. If you don’t take me with you I’m as good as dead.”

oh yay! im glad people like it, wasnt sure if you would but i decided to post it anyways. heres more:

Brass, Nick, and Warrick were sitting across from Evelyn Green in an interrogation room. She sat cross legged facing the three men, showing no hint of emotion.

“So do you want to tell us what your finger print was doing on a gun next to a dead guy?” Brass asked her.

“I put it there.” She replied without breaking eye contact.

“Why would you do that?” Warrick asked.

“So you would catch me. Last time I tried your police department was too incompetent to realize what I was offering.” Evelyn played with the chain of her necklace as she spoke. She could notice the two investigators trying a little too hard not to look at the low cut neck line of her dress, but the detective was not so easily distracted. “I have been part of Malone’s organization for four years, and I’ve been trying to get out.”

“Why didn’t you just leave?” Nick asked her.

“No one leaves Rick.” She said coldly. “Two years ago I set up a scene so I would get caught, but somehow the charges were dropped. Rick thought I was being careless so he broke my fingers to remind me to be more careful.” She held up her right hand to show the slightly crooked fingers. “I was in a lot of trouble four years ago, I thought Rick could help me out, but I didn’t know what I was getting into.”

Just then Evelyn’s phone rang. “It’s him.” She told the men. “I need to answer it.”

“Put it on speaker.” Brass told her.

“Hi Ricky.” Evelyn answered.

“Kitten are you alright? Where are you?” Came the voice from the phone.

“I’m at the police station; they just finished talking to me about John’s murder.” Evelyn told him.

“And what made them come after you? Have you been slipping up again?” Rick Malone’s voice over the phone was getting angry.

“Baby I swear I didn’t do anything! They just got my print or something from his apartment. You know I was there a few days ago. They probably wanted to talk to me because of my record.” Evelyn lied.

“Listen, you don’t say nothing to them you hear me? I’ll be there and I’ll bring my lawyer. I can take care of this.” The line went dead.

“So why does he call you kitten?” Brass asked with a smirk. “You’ve been paying off your debt between the sheets?”

Evelyn glared at Brass. “I did whatever he asked and that’s why I’m still alive.”

“So is Malone the one who did this?” Nick asked.

Evelyn turned her attention back to Nick. “Yes, I was there and I heard it all. I was hiding when I heard Ricky at the door and I heard him shoot John.”

“John was one of Rick’s guys, why would he want him out of the picture?” Warrick asked.

Evelyn dropped her eyes to the floor. “Because no one is supposed to touch Ricky’s things.” She looked back up with tears in her eyes. “John and I were going to leave, together. Ricky must have found out because he came after John the day we planned to leave.”

“Do you have proof of this?” Brass asked her.

“That and more.” Evelyn told him. “At my house, I want that one to take me.” She looked at Nick.

Nick agreed and took Evelyn to his truck. Brass stopped Warrick as they left the interrogation room. “There’s more to this than what she’s saying. I’m going to wait here for Malone to show up, why don’t you go back to the lab and do a little digging?”

Warrick nodded and headed for the parking lot. On his way out he ran into Grissom coming in.

“Was that Evvie Green who just left with Nick?” Grissom asked Warrick.

“Yeah,” Warrick told him. “How do you know her?”

“Her sister was murdered about four years ago.” Grissom informed Warrick. “She looks even better now than she did then. I always thought she knew more than she was saying, but we couldn’t pin the murder on the guy, she didn’t take it well. Something Daily.”

“John Daily?” Warrick asked excitedly.

“That’s the one.” Grissom responded. “Why?”

“He’s Nick and mine’s murder case” Warrick told Grissom.

“Well you be careful with that Evvie.” Grissom warned. “She can manipulate men like you wouldn’t believe.”

Warrick sprinted back to his car and drove back to the lab as quickly as possible.

“So how does a woman like you get messed up with a guy like Malone?” Nick asked Evelyn as they drove towards her house.

“I was a silly girl back then.” Evelyn told him. “Dirt poor but so certain I was destined to be a star. He told me he’d back me, get me anything I needed and set me up with the right people. I guess I became too much of an asset to him. Four months became four years.”

“Oh really, an asset?” Nick chuckled.

“Yes an asset.” Evelyn smacked Nick across the arm. “Not a piece of ass. Apparently some of these crime scum bags are more generous when they do dealings with an attractive woman. I was making Rick too much money; he wasn’t going to let me leave.”

“Well you tried to get out before, what went wrong?”

“The cops didn’t go for my deal.” She explained. “I didn’t have enough evidence back then, so I’ve been keeping records. When I heard Rick kill John I knew it was my chance. Turn left up here.” Evelyn instructed Nick.

They reached her house and Evelyn led the way to her study where she kept all the files on Malone and the others. “You were very thorough.” Nick observed as he saw the boxes of papers.

“They were very dirty.” Evelyn winked at him. “Listen, I don’t know how this works but I need to leave now. Rick is already on his way to the police station and he’s going to know I gave him up. Now you can arrest a lot of his gang with the information in these boxes, but they could still get to me before you get to them. I can’t take that risk.”

“I don’t…” Nick mumbled. Evelyn stepped into him, placing her lips on his in a deep kiss. He kissed her back.

“Please.” Evelyn begged as she broke the kiss. “Either I leave Ricky today alive, or I leave him tomorrow in a coffin.”

CSINicole you can use the "EDIT" button within 24 hours instead of double posting cause as i said to another poster 1) it's forbidden and 2) it makes the mods mad, even more mad cause they already say that to another poster !

and hum again i'm a mod, do you really want make mad? i don't think so :D

So be careful!

Regarding the story: YUMMY my second co-mod writer ! i'm so proud of you **cries** proud cause your story is well written for now and i can't wait to read more!!

it means so much that you guys are all liking it! its just a short story, so heres the end coming at ya:

When Rick Malone entered the police station Brass was there waiting for him. “Mr. Malone, long time no see.” He greeted him.

“Jim,” Rick reached out a hand to embrace Brass. “I thought after the last time you tried to pin something on me we were on a first name basis. Now I’m just here to pick up my girl, where are you keeping her?”

“I’m afraid it’s a little more complicated than that.” Brass informed him. “Why don’t you step over here with me and we can discuss it?” He gestured to an interrogation room.

“Whoa!” Malone’s lawyer yelled when he realized what was going on. “Are you trying to interrogate my client for something?”

“I just want to talk to him.” Brass said innocently. “You remember your buddy John don’t you Rick?”

“Are you accusing me of something?” Rick asked, getting more irritated.

“Do I need to?” Brass asked slyly. He led Malone and his lawyer to a room. “So did you see John at all yesterday?”

“Yeah I saw him.” Rick replied.

“And what did you go see him about?” Brass continued.

“I went to kick his ass.” Rick said bluntly.

“Rick be quiet!” his lawyer advised.

“No, I won’t.” Rick protested. “I caught John skimming profits from me; I went to teach him a lesson. He’s my best guy and I didn’t want him dead. But I wasn’t going to stand by while he stole from me either.”

“That’s not the story your girl is telling me.” Brass told him.

“Well then she’s lying!” Rick shouted. “I may have left him a little worse for wear but I sure as hell left him alive.”

Nick returned to the crimelab with the boxes of evidence taken from Evelyn’s house. He met Warrick in the layout room. “What are you looking at there?” he asked.

“The murder from four years ago. The one John Daily’s gun was used for.” Warrick responded.

“Why are you looking at that?” Nick asked as he set the boxes down. “We’re working on his murder, not some cold case from four years ago.”

“The victim was Evelyn’s sister.” Warrick informed him. “She may be more involved in John’s murder than what she said.”

Nick felt his stomach drop. “Evelyn’s gone.”

“What?!”

“She’s gone, I let her go.” Nick put his hands over his face. “She said they’d be after her once the information in these boxes got out, she’s been keeping tabs on Malone and his gang for the last two years. She said she was going into hiding.”

“Let me see those boxes.” Warrick took the boxes from Nick. Sure enough, inside the boxes were photos of Malone and his gang in the midst of drug dealings and dead bodies. There were also many audio and visual tapes. “Jesus,” Warrick said to himself. “These guys were worse than we thought. I bet there’s going to be several convictions off this stuff.”

Nick looked through another box, and pulled out an envelope containing a gun and a picture. “It’s Evelyn.” Nick showed Warrick.

“And that’s the sister.” Warrick pointed to the other woman in the picture. “We need to tell Brass about this.”

Back at the police station, Malone and his lawyer were demanding he be released. After receiving an urgent call from Warrick Brass would not let Malone leave until he saw what they were bringing.

“This is ridiculous.” Malone’s lawyer stated. “You have nothing to hold my client on.”

“I wouldn’t say that just yet.” Brass smirked.

Warrick and Nick entered the room, leaning over to tell Brass about the contents of the boxes retrieved from Evelyn’s house. Brass smiled at Malone. “Looks like you and your boys are going away for a long time, if you’re lucky enough to avoid the needle.”

“She set me up.” Malone said to his lawyer. “That bitch set me up!”

“I’ll have a cell made up nice and cosy for you Rick.” Brass told him as they led him out of the interrogation room. “So what about the girl?” he asked Nick and Warrick after Rick was taken away.

“In one of the boxes was a gun.” Nick told Brass. “Registered to Evelyn and matched the bullets that killed John Daily.”

“We think she got in with Malone to take revenge on her sister’s killer.” Warrick suggested. “She’s been playing them all for years, and now she got us too.”

“What do you mean ‘us too’?” Brass asked.

“Evelyn’s gone.” Nick said hesitantly. “She left after giving me the boxes; said she had to hide from Malone’s guys.”

Brass clenched his fists and turned away without responding.

Warrick put his hand on Nick’s back. “She was lying all along Warrick.” He said. “And I fell for it.”

“I think we all fell for it Nick.” Warrick assured him. “And even though I hate to admit it… I owe you breakfast.”

Nick cracked a smile and the two men left the police station.

sissi59100 said:
CSINicole
Regarding the story: YUMMY my second co-mod writer ! i'm so proud of you **cries** proud cause your story is well written for now and i can't wait to read more!!

What she said, more soon!

Back