CBS Lowers 'CSI' Season Order To 18 Episodes

CSI Files

Captain
According to TV Line, the fifteenth season of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation will consist of 18 episodes, instead of the usual 22. The site reports that the decision to trim the episode order was mainly based on the network’s inventory of shows (including the upcoming spinoff, CSI: Cyber), rather than CSI’s ratings.

More...

I'm not surprised. The show is in its fifteenth season, and the ratings aren't that great. I think it's doing okay in a tricky timeslot (with all those damn delays), and there's always the international market to consider--I dunno, I'm not too worried about the show's future right now. I'd like to think the network would give them (and us) warning before the final season...

It's done. When TPTB lower the total number of episodes for the season, the writing is on the wall.
orangetongue.gif

Hey tvline - it had already been lowered from 22 to 20 (couple of months ago or so)!

I'm not suprised. I was wondering why they went to 20 and not right to 18. At 18 the season should end by the end of January. (& Cyber goes up agains sweeps episodes of other shows in February.)

I won't say season 15 is the end. If they can announce final seasons for shows that haven't lasted as long as "CSI" then they should announce a final season for "CSI". Announced final season's bring in too much money and CBS is money hungry.

Susan

Having fewer episodes might actually help the show last longer, too--if it's not as expensive to produce a season, why not make more for syndication and to sell to international markets and whatnot, you know? I'm not an expert, so I really have no idea how all that works, but I don't think CSI will get the axe unexpectedly. (Miami was a bit of a shock, especially since New York lasted longer--NY had several years of warning before they got cancelled. Speaking of NY, they got 18 episodes in their eighth season, and they got another season of 17 episodes before being cancelled.)

I certainly hope we get some warning before it's ended. I think it's premature to assume this is a sign that the show's being cancelled, when there are so many other elements to consider (including CSI: Cyber being put in the same timeslot). I'm not saying it's not a possibility, but...we can only wait and see. Fingers crossed, I guess. I'm not ready to let go!

That's true, but I would assume they'd get more money when they add more episodes to the syndication deals.

Hey tvline - it had already been lowered from 22 to 20 (couple of months ago or so)!

I'm not suprised. I was wondering why they went to 20 and not right to 18. At 18 the season should end by the end of January. (& Cyber goes up agains sweeps episodes of other shows in February.)

I won't say season 15 is the end. If they can announce final seasons for shows that haven't lasted as long as "CSI" then they should announce a final season for "CSI". Announced final season's bring in too much money and CBS is money hungry.

Susan

I haven't been on the boards in about a year, but I just wanted to comment on this comment. CSI was always ordered for a 22-episode season. There was never no reduced count for 20. That was a "report" posted on Spoiler TV which was not factual, had no source, and had no truth to it. The only cut the show received was from 22 to 18.

Back