Season 10 *Spoiler Lab* Discussion P1

Status
Not open for further replies.
.I think right now the show will shift to be more Larry Fishburne-centric. His character will really be worked on and he'll just be made a more fabricated part of the story."
Is this Zuiker dude out of touch! LF is the reason the ratings have declined! the character hasn't gelled with us..I know I'm not that thrilled with him. I don't hate LF, but I'm not thrilled with Langston.

.I think right now the show will shift to be more Larry Fishburne-centric. His character will really be worked on and he'll just be made a more fabricated part of the story."

Is this Zuiker dude out of touch! LF is the reason the ratings have declined!

I think you need to be fair: LF is not the reason ratings have declinded. The loss of three major characters (Warrick, Grissom, Sara) better explains the decline.

I understand a lot of people don't care for LF as a CSI, but I think he shouldn't be blamed for something he's not responsible for.

And I think the "new" CSI (sans Grissom) is still young. I'm hanging in there....even with some of the same reservations everybody else has.

Keep the faith.:thumbsup:

I think you need to be fair: LF is not the reason ratings have declinded. The loss of three major characters (Warrick, Grissom, Sara) better explains the decline.

I think mfcsi was referring to the decline AFTER Warrick, Grissom and Sara left. When LF first joined, there was a slight spike in ratings (after fans of the exiting three characters stopped watching) and the ratings stayed fairly steady until the 200th episode which was very heavily centered on the Langston character. After that episode, the ratings took a dive again and have never really recovered.

I personally feel that tptb did LF a great disservice by shoving the Langston character down viewers' throats. A lot of fans just don't even want to give him a chance because of that. It's unfortunate because the character started out on a really good note. I loved the learning to be a CSI aspect of his character and when he was fumbling with the fingerprints. That was neat. But now they've made it seem like he's been doing this for years and that took some of the magic out of the character for me.

erep got me thinking with their post about keeping the faith. I think there is a defeatist attitude amongst a lot of CSI viewers. Now please hear me out. It just seems that every single blurb that comes out is a reason for at least 4 people to throw their hands up in disgust even though we don't know if a spoiler is true yet and the season hasn't even started.

We hear Sara is coming back and NS assures us that she's going to be featured in the episodes she's in. Everyone jumps the gun and calls foul. Could it be for argument sake that he meant that she was going to be actually involved in the episode as opposed to just a cameo or a one scene thing? We can't say for sure because it hasn't happened yet.

We hear that the show is going to be more LF-centric from the creator who only has his toe dipped in the water. With his new game coming out and so forth, we don't really know how much Zuiker knows. And if the above mentioned paragraph is true then LF will not be featured prominently until episode 6 when Sara leaves.

I hope people are seeing what I'm getting at. Yes TPTB have said a whole lot of stuff that never came out. They've lied in some form to all of us. But if we look at things realistically and without getting p.o.ed at everything before thinking about it, maybe we can approach season 10 with a more postive attitude.

Cause seriously folks if everyone goes in with the attitude of "my character is going to be thrown into the background while someone so much less deserving gets all the screentime" then that's what is going to happen for you. Because while you're irritated about Sara, Ray, whoever getting the scenes you just missed the ones with your character in it.

Let's really try keeping the faith and thinking positive. :cool:

I think LF is a great addition to CSI, and never thought he as 'being "shoved down my throat", I've like all the episodes he's been in and I think that Carol Mendolsohn, Sara Goldfinger, Naren Shankar, David Rambo and the other top writers are involved much more than Zuiker, as and King Bruckheimer a strong force as well. Laurence Fishburne was brought in to this show to be the main character, regardless of the reason behind it, or lack thereof. I hope to see him more, and am happy with the show, but am missing Grissom and Warrick but we've got Sara back
drinks.gif

Last edited:
Sarah Goldfinger has apparently left 'CSI' and is now writing for 'Brothers and Sisters'. This is from a B&S blog:

"Co-executive producer Sarah Goldfinger comes to us from CSI, where she started as a staff writer at the show's inception and rocketed her way up to Co-Executive Producer during her 8 year tenure. Over the past three years, Sarah was under an overall deal with CBS/Paramount where she developed two pilots. She hails from Williamsport, Pennsylvania and attended Amherst College where she majored in playwriting. If you find a little gift in the writers' room-- anything from lavendar plants to squeezy toys-- it probably came from Sarah. Thanks, Sarah!"

Sorry, if this is old news for some. It's too bad; I liked her episodes.

Um ok I seriously hope Greg's new job is NOT mentoring Wendy. Greg was not mentored by anyone when he was starting out. He went from person to person, usually getting himself kicked to the curb, and basically had to learn everything himself along the way. The only times he was actually told how to do stuff was during the actual case when he had to know the information right away, like Sofia and Sara sometimes did. But no one actually went out of their way to help him.

It's bad enough that Greg gets the least amount of respect on the team, but to saddle him with Wendy to be her teacher? That's just a slap in the face imo. "Oh hey, you didn't get any help and got picked on for four seasons in a row, here's a lab tech who you'll be nice to starting out cause that's just your personality and who we'll welcome with open arms 'cause now she'll know everything right away!"

/rant over. Huff.

Like I said, if they want to put him in nearly every scene, that's fine as long as the majority of those scenes are not solo scenes. To even it out and make more of the fanbase happy than just the LF/RL fans, it would be a good idea to let the majority of his scenes include the other cast members as well. The screentime balance is just way off. Why not share the screentime rather than have any one character dominate it? I just feel that it is completely unfair to those who have worked their butts off for 8 years to only get shoved in the background even worse than before. For those who were Grissom fans and transfered to Langston, maybe it doesn't bother you because your favorite in the beginning was the leading man, so the screentime the new leading man gets doesn't seem that different. But for those of us whose favorites are the characters who always seem to get the shorter end of the stick, it's very frusturating.

But no one actually went out of their way to help him.

I think Warrick once did. He needed to get inside to the scene, but he actually took the time to help Greg and show him how he keeps things organized so that they are handy when the times comes that he needs them. I think that's a pretty good tip to give someone. And he told Greg that if he didn't want to get fussed at by the boss, he should dress differently. So, he saved Greg the grief that getting fussed at by the boss would have caused. He didn't have to take the time to explain all of that to Greg, but he did.

Greg is supposedly a genius, so everyone probably figured that he really wouldn't need the help. He's a quick learner, so they probably figured he'd pick it up quickly and not have any troubles.

I really think that Greg would rather enjoy showing Wendy the ropes. I don't think he'd have a problem with it at all. He gets along with her pretty well. Not to mention I think Greg secretly likes to be in the position of authority to someone. :lol: And I personally wouldn't mind this at all because I like their friendship chemistry and I think Wendy would make Greg's funny come out more. Now that Riley's gone, she's the only one who can do so.

I would much rather his new job be mentoring Wendy than to be him being stuck in the lab doing Archie's job again. :lol: Or anything of that nature. Though if I had my choice his new job would be something like Lead CSI. :)

But maybe they'll make up a completely new title/job for him that would be a promotion. :)

Sarah Goldfinger has apparently left 'CSI' and is now writing for 'Brothers and Sisters'.

Hmm... I wonder if she left on her own or if they asked her to leave because of that fiasco involving characters allegedly based on people she knew and supposedly had a beef with.

Last edited:
I've never had a problem with Langston. The character has potential and is generally easy to get along with. For me, his downfall was Mascara. It was hyped as the 200th episode and fell flat. I blame the director who tried to do radically different things with the show. Had the episode focused on Catherine, Nick or someone else, would it have done better? Remember, the same director did Cockroaches, an episode I feel totally messed up Warrick's characterization.

Of course I'm hoping that the old characters get more screen time, thus limiting LF's, but I still want to see development with Langston. I think he can still mesh with the team.

After giving it some thought, I'm actually looking forward to seeing how they're going to do Sara. She's appearing without Grissom (as far as we know) and will be standing on her own. I think that seeing her without the drama of Warrick's death and the secrecy of her romance with Grissom and being generally happy might make her more enjoyable.

As for Greg, I too want to see him gripe. He's been getting shat upon for way too long and needs to let it out. When was the last time we saw him get mad? I think it was his one irritated line of "whatever" to Grissom in You Kill Me. Little Greggo is grown up now and needs to let the others know that. You tell 'em, Sanders! :lol:

And of course, I'm still holding out that the rumor about Sofia is true. She be awesome!

Has anyone confirmed that Louise Lombard is returning? and here's another site talking about Grissom coming back as well, the speculation is that he and Sara are married, so it would follow suit for him to come back to be with her, and work on a case while he's there. He and Dr. Langston worked well together, and that would be the cherry on top to see them working on a case again. One never knows, and I didn't know that Sarah Goldfinger was gone:( thank's for the news on that. She was a great writer and I wish her the best. :thumbsup:

GRISSOM RETURNING?

Not excited about the new eps being "Fishburne Centric." It's not like I dislike the Character of Ray Langston, it's just that I think it's been a bit annoying that he goes from Noob to expert in no time flat. I would have liked to have seen the learning curve a bit more, and him grow into a leadership role over a whole season, not just a couple of episodes. I think that's what rubs a lot of people the wrong way about the character.

What it seems most people want to see is a bit more balance between the characters.

BTW, any official word on Louise Lombard coming back?

I think when they say "Larry Fishburne centric," it means instead of it being focused around Billy Petersen as the lead actor, it has switched to Larry. It doesn't mean one way or another that the episodes are going to be more Ray centered.

Sarah Goldfinger has apparently left 'CSI' and is now writing for 'Brothers and Sisters'. This is from a B&S blog:

"Co-executive producer Sarah Goldfinger comes to us from CSI, where she started as a staff writer at the show's inception and rocketed her way up to Co-Executive Producer during her 8 year tenure. Over the past three years, Sarah was under an overall deal with CBS/Paramount where she developed two pilots. She hails from Williamsport, Pennsylvania and attended Amherst College where she majored in playwriting. If you find a little gift in the writers' room-- anything from lavendar plants to squeezy toys-- it probably came from Sarah. Thanks, Sarah!"

Sorry, if this is old news for some. It's too bad; I liked her episodes.

That bothers me. Her episodes were (generally) good and she's been with the show since nearly the beginning (and not to mention, one of the few original writers left on the show).

I'm hoping she is still on the show, but who really knows.

Not excited about the new eps being "Fishburne Centric." It's not like I dislike the Character of Ray Langston, it's just that I think it's been a bit annoying that he goes from Noob to expert in no time flat. I would have liked to have seen the learning curve a bit more, and him grow into a leadership role over a whole season, not just a couple of episodes. I think that's what rubs a lot of people the wrong way about the character.

What it seems most people want to see is a bit more balance between the characters.

That's it in a nutshell. I don't dislike the character, I just dislike the way the screentime has been mismanaged. :lol:

That's it in a nutshell. I don't dislike the character, I just dislike the way the screentime has been mismanaged. :lol:

I second that. I really don't want more LF-centric CSI. :( I'd like less of LF, not more!! More team! More ensemble!

Anyway, I'm a little late with this but I'm excited both by the news re Greg and Dustin's twitter post re Szmanda. Yay! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back