Without a Word- One person's secrets can effect everybody.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by lostladyknight, Oct 5, 2007.

1. lostladyknight

lostladyknight Pathologist

Well here's how this one works. Cat moved away and this is the Emails that she has shared with everyone from the team over the years. Familys grow and change, so do people.

Written before DD, set AU over several years.

TO: cw1973

SUBJECT: You’ve been gone two months now.

Hey Cath,

I still don’t understand why you decided to leave the team. I wish you would just explain it to me; however I hope things are well for you in New Jersey now. You must let me know how Lindsey and Lily are doing and when you’re going to be back in Las Vegas for a visit. We all miss you.

Sara is doing as well as can be expected, it’s been more than two years since the abduction, and the doctors have finally decided that physical therapy may not be the best course of action. So we’ve decided to give up on walking for a while, and just focus on rebuilding muscle mass in her lower body. It’s a shame you know how much she hates being confined to the chair that way.

Imogen is great and growing like a weed. I can’t believe that when Natelie Davis did that Sara was three months pregnant. I’m just so happy that our little girl came out of the whole ordeal without even a scratch. We got your card by the way, thanks for remembering.

The guys, Nick, Greg, and Warrick are all doing about the same. Warrick and Tina are still fighting through their marriage, trying to make things work. Nick’s still seeing the same girl, Molly. He took her home a couple of weekends ago to meet the family I’m starting to think it’s serious. I hope so. He needs someone special in his life. Greg’s still single, from what I know, but he’s doing alright. He tells me he gets ‘a lot of play’ whatever that means.

By the way, we’ve hired two new CSI’s. The first about twenty seven, from Tucson she’s really high energy. I’m surprised the rest of the team haven’t eaten her alive. She’s nice enough though, her name is Jodi. Mateo is in his early forties, I’m not sure exactly how old, from Maryland. He’s been in law enforcement his whole life, and he’s good at what he does, but he just doesn’t mesh with the team. I’m starting to think nobody ever will. Naturally Sara still works; she spends a lot of time in the lab and has become the head of our computer programming department. From time to time she goes out to scenes but she can’t do much but work the mobile analysis unit, because of the chair. She hates being confined, and I hate watching it.

But I digress; my purpose in writing this email was not to maintain our formalities or to update you on the lives of our loved ones. I miss you, I miss my right hand and I miss having you around to keep me sane. Warrick’s a great guy and Sara is the light of my life, but without you around life just isn’t the same. Come home, just for a visit. We all want you here.

-Gil Grissom

2. gsrLOVE

gsrLOVE Pathologist

That's brilliant, and beautiful :)

3. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

This sounds familiar, have you ever posted part of it before? Anyway it's good. More soon!

4. lostladyknight

Thanks guys. I was going to post this chapter too, but my friend called me and I've been with her ever since. Yes I have posted a link to this before. I have alos put it up on ff.net It's up to chapter 47 on ff.net so yeah... you could go there and read it if you really wanna. Well keep reading. I'll try to post a few more emails up tomorrow.

-LLK

TO: ggbugman

SUBJECT: RE You’ve been gone two months now.

Hi Gil,

I miss you too. I miss everyone, but leaving was just something I had to do. I’m sorry but I just can’t really tell you any more than that.

Lindsey and my mother are doing really well, Lindsey’s really adapting to the eleventh grade here. She likes her teachers and she’s in all AP classes. However, she is doing the public school thing again. I’m working at her high school as a Chemistry teacher, go figure. Mom’s working at the local library but it’s more for something to do than in the interest of earning money.

Our town is beautiful your average storybook town. Our house is this little blue four bedroom place mom and I use the two bedrooms down stairs and Lindsey pretty much has the whole second floor to herself. We have a plan for the extra room, but haven’t put it into action yet. The story with the house is that it was purchased with this gorgeous green house next door and this one big family lived in both houses and raised something like four generations. Then the houses were sold off separately because of financial trouble. It makes me sad, both homes are wonderful.

Enough about the new house, I miss Las Vegas. I think mom and Lindsey do too. This perfect little town is almost too perfect, nothing fun ever happens, and I feel like I just joined a club that people have been members of for the last hundred years. Everyone knows everyone here, I drive up the road to the grocery store and eight people walk up to me and say “You must be that new family, it’s so nice to meet you.” And then Lindsey, Mom, and I are invited to all sorts of dinners.

I’m glad to hear about everyone at the lab doing so well. However, you didn’t tell me anything about yourself. How are you personally doing? It’s you, Scarecrow, that I miss most of all.

Tell me everything.

-Catherine

PS. I could never forget Imogen's birthday. Give her a kiss for me, okay?

5. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

oh ok. Did she ever say why she left yet?

6. lostladyknight

On FF.net, yeah. In chapter 44, I think. I'm just addressing it now. The story will be about 65 chapters I think.

-llk

7. lostladyknight

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SUBJECT: RE RE You’ve been gone two months now.

Catherine,

Well I’m doing fine, I hate that I have to work so much though. Imogen is already two years old and I never get the chance to spend as much time with her as I would like. Before I know it she’ll be in kindergarten and won’t be home all the time anymore. How did you do it all those years? I hate leaving my little girl all the time to go to work.

Health wise I’m doing alright. I just had a check up the other day and my hearing is still going strong, which is something both Sara and I are very happy about. All other aspects of my life are doing fairly well.

We’re really stumped at work this week, a killer case that’s got all of us on our toes. We’re all working it, non-stop. I just took fifteen minutes out to see if you’d gotten back to me. Come home and solve this for the kids, will you please? I’m only kidding, I’m sure we’ll figure it out soon.

One of these days, I’m going to stop asking you to come back, I promise.

-Scarecrow Gil

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SUBJECT: I tried to call the other day.

Hello, Gil.

I tried to call you and Sara at your house the other day, I wanted to ask how everything went with that case, and just to find out how you were all doing.

I also wanted to give you my new address and ask you to send some pictures of you, Sara, and Imogen. I bet she’s even more beautiful than the last time I saw her. I really miss those pretty brown curls and almond eyes.

Lindsey sends her love, she keeps telling me to invite all of you out here so you can see the new place and so we can spend a little time together. I think I’m going to invite her friend Rebecca out for a weekend. She says that I should invite my friends too, but I’m sure you’re all busy.

I haven’t spoken to Warrick or Greg in a while, how are they? Nicky calls or writes to me about once a week, just to keep in touch. Greg emails from time to time, but I haven’t heard a single word from Warrick since the day I told you all I was moving.

Call me.

-Catherine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SUBJECT: RE I tried to call the other day.

Catherine,

Sorry we missed your call, we were at the hospital the whole day with Warrick, Tina had the baby. A little boy, they’re calling him Corbin. You should email Warrick and ask for the details, like middle name, weight, length all the usual stuff. I’m sure he’d be glad to hear from you.

Wait… that’s not why you moved is it? You’d tell me right?

Imogen came into the room the other day with her suitcase packed full of toys and a plastic baggy Cheerios, she told us she was going to go visit Aunt Catherine and Lindsey. She hasn’t said anything about you in a few weeks, so it took us by surprise. I guess I’m not the only one that misses you. I told her that maybe this spring we’ll come out and visit. Of course whenever you can invite us, we won’t come out without an invitation.

Can you believe Christmas is already around the corner, not even a full two weeks away? Nicky’s going home to Texas, he’s taking Molly with him. Greg says he’ll be in town and doesn’t mind working, as long as he can have a few hours off to exchange gifts with his parents. Sara and I will probably take Imogen into the lab just so there’s someone on call. I hope there won’t be any cases though, we’ll be keeping our fingers crossed. Warrick’s going to have his hands full of course, but I don’t think he’s going anywhere. I’m not sure what Mateo and Jodi are up to, but I think they both said they wouldn’t mind being on call, so that’s going to be a help.

Send me your address so I can get a couple of things I picked up for you and Lindsey in the mail, and of course pictures of us. I’ll see about getting pictures of baby Corbin. Well happy holidays, Thanksgiving wasn’t the same without you. We still miss you.

-Scarecrow Gil

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TO: wbrown

SUBJECT: How’s life?

Hi Warrick,

I heard Tina had the baby, that’s really great. How is he doing? I’d like to know everything about him. How big was he? How’s Tina doing? I hope everyone’s doing great.

Speaking of Tina and the baby, we have a lot of catching up to do.

Maybe it’s time I told someone why I left…

DELETE/DELETE/DELETE/DELETE/DELETE/DELETE/DELETE/DELETE- Message NOT Sent.

SUBJECT: I have something to tell you…

Hi Warrick,

I heard about the baby, that’s wonderful news. How are he and Tina doing?

I have something I really should have told you a long time ago. Definitely before I hopped on a plane and moved across the country.

Are you sitting down? Good.

Well here goes…

DELETE/DELETE/DELETE/DELETE/DELETE/DELETE/DELETE/DELETE- Message NOT Sent.

SUBJECT: I heard about the baby.

Hi Warrick,

So, how’s life since I left? I guess you’re probably still a little mad at me for the whole leaving without an explanation thing. You know, Nick and Grissom aren’t mad at me anymore. Greg’s starting to come around, don’t you think it’s time you and I buried the hatchet?

Now I’m starting to sound like an idiot.

Look, truce? Good.

Grissom tells me Tina had the baby? Tell me everything about the baby, when’s his official birthday so I can send you guys a card? How big was he? What is his full name? You and Tina must be so happy. I’d love pictures of him I bet he’s just beautiful.

In all honesty this was a pretty hard email to write, I know we left on some pretty bad terms. Please, just write back. I’m sick of not being friends with you. We have a lot of catching up to do.

-Catherine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

8. lostladyknight

SUBJECT: RE I tried to call the other day.

Grissom,

Lindsey and I would love it if you your lovely ladies would come out for a visit. I’m just not sure when we’ll be ready to have guests. Right now it’s looking like this summer will be a little better. I promise to invite you as soon as it’s convenient. We miss you all too.

I wrote to Warrick a couple of minutes ago asking for pictures of the baby. I bet he and Tina are ecstatic. I remember when Eddy and I brought Lindsey home for the first time, for months it felt like the world revolved around our little miracle. Life in general couldn’t get better.

Nicky called the other day; he was asking for advice on how to ask a certain girl a pretty big question. I’m so happy for him, if I’d have still been in Vegas I think I’d have gone straight to his townhouse and given him a big hug. I’ve always know that Nick would make a great husband someday, and it’s pretty amazing that he’s finally got Molly. Has he told anyone around there he’s thinking about asking her? If he hasn’t don’t mention it okay? I wouldn’t want to spill his secret to the whole world.

Well give Sara my best and tell Imogen I’ll call just to talk to her as soon as I can.

-Catherine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SUBJECT: RE I heard about the baby.

Catherine,

Wow! You wouldn’t believe how happy I am that you wrote to me. You’re absolutely wrong I’m not mad at you at all. I honestly don’t understand why you felt like you had to leave, or why things were so tense between us during the week before you left. I know that I’m partly responsible… I was so angry at you for just deciding to leave without even mentioning it to me I completely failed to realize that whatever your reason it was a good one, and I should have respected that. I was wrong to accuse you of forgetting that I was your friend and I should have behaved more like a friend. I’m really sorry.

Tina had a boy, that’s right. We’re calling him Corbin Sean he was 4 lbs and 4.2 oz and he’s the most amazing human being I’ve ever seen in my entire life. Of course I’ll send you pictures I’ve got hundreds on my computer, I’ll attach them. His official birthday is December 10th 2009.

He’s my son, and it’s amazing how much I love knowing that I have a son. But… can you keep a secret? It’s really scary because now things between Tina and I aren’t ever going to be simple again. I shouldn’t say it… but I feel like I’m trapped into something now. Maybe I’m just nervous about being a good father.

I probably shouldn’t have written all of that, yet something’s telling me not to press the backspace key and annihilate what I have to say to you. You’ve always been really good at putting things into perspective for me, so I’m sure you’ll know what to say about this.

Catherine, I’m so sorry for everything that’s happened between us in the past few years, well since I got married. I shouldn’t have let anything get in the way of the friendship we had. I really hope that you and I can fix things, even if we are a whole country apart.

Won’t you please come home for a while, I’m sure everyone here would love to see you.

-Warrick

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SUBJECT: RE RE I heard about the baby.

Warrick,

I don’t know what to say. There was so much packed into that email, so much to digest and to talk about. I guess I may as well attack it in reverse chronological order. Does that sound good? I hope so because that’s how I’m doing it.

As for coming home, absolutely not. Not now. I’ve got something going on and until this April it’ll be preventing me from socializing with anyone from back home. At least not in person. It’s really complicated, and yes, it does have something to do with why I left, but I’m not going to discuss it so don’t ask.

For the first six times Nick called me he tried to ask why I left. Grissom asks in every single email, even if he doesn’t exactly put it into words. Grissom has this unnatural way of saying things through subtext, and it’s almost brain washing. Surprisingly Greg’s been the best about pushing me for information, he only offered to talk, and didn’t push. Sara, Brass, Doc and even Super Dave all ask from time to time. Why is it such a huge deal to everyone to figure me out? Some things came up in my life and I left.

I’m not angry with you for asking me to come back; I just couldn’t resist the rant.

You don’t have to be sorry for the things that happened between us in the past. They say that men and women can’t be friends. It’s true; things always get in the way. I’m not saying that Tina did, just that you and I both let things get in the way of our friendship. I should have been more available as a friend though, so I’m offering my apologies too.

As for this mess about feeling trapped. You aren’t trapped into anything. You have a family, a wonderful, beautiful, amazing family. You’re one of the lucky ones. Don’t ever forget that. If you feel trapped with Tina, well I don’t know what to tell you. You guys have made it work for four years now. You can keep it up, I think you’ve got a good thing going with her.

Just… I know I’m probably over stepping my boundaries by saying this but don’t ever let yourself feel trapped by your child. You love him right? And, if you’re ever feeling trapped, don’t tell me I know I’m the last person who should say this, but you don’t have to stay. It is the twenty first century after all.

Tell Tina I saw the pictures and I think he’s absolutely amazing.

-Catherine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SUBJECT RE RE RE I heard about the baby.

Catherine,

I think Nicky told me he mentioned it to you, but he proposed to Molly. They decided to get married in February, so I guess we’ll all be seeing you at the wedding? I think they said they are going to have it in Texas on his parents’ ranch. He seems really happy.

Well I’ve got to run, I’ve got a case and Grissom’s going to have my ass if I he finds out I’m emailing you from the lab.

I get to go play CSI with the new girl. We told you about her right? Well both of them. Mateo’s alright, I actually like him quite a bit. Jodi is just too high energy for the night shift, she puts the old Greggo to shame. I mean they’re both nice enough people but it’s just not the same without you and Sara there in the field with us. I guess everything has to change.

Well I really have to run now.

Don’t be afraid to call me, day or night. I’d like to hear your voice again.

-Warrick.

9. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

Awwww, I like it. I hope you write more!! Or, at least, post more hehe

Jodie
    xx