Who should step in for Marg? *Possible Spoilers*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by vegaslights, Nov 7, 2011.

1. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

We're nearing the end of an era. Marg Helgenberger is officially moving on at the end of January (she'll wrap filming at the end of November/early December), and our favorite team will unfortunately be moving on without Catherine Willows. It's sad; we've watched Catherine grow over the years and seen Marg deliver some pretty amazing performances. We've seen Catherine at her most vulnerable, through times of pain and suffering, flaws and imperfections, and her moments of success and triumphs. And in a major way it feels like a major piece of the show will be missing. Though, as they say in the entertainment industry, the show must go on...

... And at CSI, it is. If you've been keeping up with the (lack of) spoilers, you'll know that the show plans on bringing somebody else in. Here's some quotes on the matter:

So while no one can really replace the actress/character, someone will be stepping in to fill the void. What I'd like to know is: who do you guys think is fit for the task?

I've pondered this scenario for a bit now and I've come up with a few names. Lauren Holly (NCIS), Toni Collette (United States of Tara), Lisa Edelstein (House), and Elizabeth Perkins (Weeds) come to mind as decent candidates. On the flip side, why doesn't the show decide to bring back a few of the show's past female stars? Welcoming back Louise Lombard and Liz Vassey as Sofia Curtis and Wendy Simms (respectively) allows viewers to connect to previously established characters. With Ted Danson and Elisabeth Harnois joining this season, it'd appear to be awfully difficult developing three brand new characters (remember Season Nine?). If you include Jorja Fox and Elisabeth with Louise and Liz, the show would do just fine in regards to the caliber (they're all fantastic) of female stars on the show.

What do you all think?

2. byline

byline CSI Level One

I would love to see Louise come back, though sadly, I don't think she's considered enough of a "name" to take Marg's place. I would also be happy to see Liz back, though I don't think she's established enough to fill Marg's role. If she and Louise were both brought back, then I agree with you that it could work, mixing enough "old" with "new" to make everyone happy.

In the "least plausible idea" category: Now that "All My Children" has been canceled, I hear Susan Lucci's available. She doesn't have Marg's acting chops, but hey, she is a name. (Sorry, I couldn't resist throwing that out there, LOL!)

3. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I certainly have conflicting feelings about this. While I understand the producers wanting the show to go on, to add yet another new character would change the show way too much for me, I'm afraid. Ted's been a great addition, and the show needed to make a change from LF, but I'm not sure they could pull it off a second time. As I've posted before on other threads, Jorja's time is already so limited that I am losing interest week to week; she seems to have become my lifeline to the show. Sorry, but it is what it is.

All that said, some of the actresses you mentioned would be fine and make interesting choices. I would also add Allison Janney, Jennifer Beals, and Kelli Williams. LIke Ted, Allison Janney, especially, can do it all: comedy, drama. or dramedy.

Something I think I would enjoy, though, is to have Sela Ward and Eddie Cahill relocate to LV, if CSI:NY doesn't return. (Not wishing NY to be cancelled by any means, but 3 CSI's would seem a stretch for CBS next season.) That way you have good characters that require limited development, but would spice up the show a bit. That, and the fact that they are my favorite characters on NY. :)

ETA: Sorry, byline, but, please, please, PLEASE, not Susan Lucci! :lol:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  4. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

You threw Lisa Edelstein's name out there and now I need it to be her lol. It would make me very, very happy if she were to step in for Marg. That way I'll be able to cope a little better with her departure. Kind of what happened with Melina leaving and Sela stepping in. Though there have been a few names mentioned here and there that IMO would also be good. But Lisa, for me, would be awesome.

ETA: This actually sounds pretty awesome. They too are my faves in NY and I would be totally onboard with this.

5. monketsharona

monketsharona Police Officer

In my opinion, Jorja must be the new lead lady, but unfortunately she won't be...

Bitty Schram remains my first choice; she is a great actress, she'd fit perfectly to the series ! Even if she's not really a "name-actress", she's quite known for her role of Sharona Fleming (Monk) and she was nominated for a Emmy Award for her role ! and Tony Shalhoub (Adrian Monk) was approached for the role of DB ! So it must be great to have Bitty on CSI !

My other choices : Melina Kanakaredes (Why not Stella after all ? ^^) Lisa Adelstein, Cynthia Watros, Sarah Wayne Callies and Courteney Cox

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  6. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Well if George wasn't made male lead, then Jorja shouldn't be made female lead. Especially after she the left the show.

Please please please, do not bring Louise Lombard back. Sorry, but I can't stand her or Sofia. There was no chemistry with her and the cast.

I could deal with Wendy coming back, but not as a lead. I don't know if they really need a female lead, do they?

I mean, at least, not this season. Too many changes. They should just see how it is after Marg leaves before they do anything.

And no one from the other CSIs either. I don't like those shows and don't want it encroaching on my CSI. Though I do like Sela Ward, but not for our show. IMO

I could probably see Lauren Holly. She was good in NCIS. Though I've known her since she's been on AMC. ;)

I, personally, don't want to see a female lead. I don't mind another female on the show, just not a lead.

7. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

I'll disagree. Sofia had great chemistry with everyone, especially Catherine and Brass. "A Bullet Runs Through It, Parts One and Two" showed the relationship between both detectives. It was very, very strong.

Fun fact: Lauren Holly was my first kiss. :lol: We did a movie in 2002 together. It'd be nice to see her on the show. :)

8. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Sorry, I don't see any chemistry with her and the others. I was glad when she went. The same when she was on NCIS: LA. No chemistry whatsoever.

And you won't change my mind. :p ;)

9. CazzBlade

CazzBlade Lab Technician

I agree, I enjoyed her relationship with Brass. I thought she had good chemistry with Greg too, especially in the aftermath to Fannysmackin.

I think Kelli Williams is a wonderful actress, that could work!

10. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Courteney Cox? Wow. I never thought of her. Might work. I thought of Lisa Kudrow though, but I think she's on another show on a cable network, unless it got canceled. My first thought since Marg started talking about leaving was Lauren Holly though. I could see Lisa Edlestein (sp?) or Elizabeth Perkins on there.

I do like the idea that if NY got canceled that Jo/Sela should join Vegas. I think she and Ted would be great together as leads.

I think Sofia had the best chemistry with Sarah. And I liked her chemistry with Brass as well. Her chemistry with everyone else to me was just meh lol. I don't think she should come back though as a regular since she's not a CSI anymore.

Other people I thought of: Mary McCormack (since In Plain Sight only has 8 episodes left which should air in the summer), Holly Robinson Pete, Mary Elizabeth Monstrontonio (sp?), Joanna Kerns and Catherine Hicks. There were probably more at some point, but this is all I can remember at the moment LOL.

11. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

I also like the idea of Sela Ward joining Vegas (though I can't see this happening even if NY ends). She and Ted Danson would be great together. I can see some rolleyes from die hard original CSI fans who still think CSI spin-offs are some kind of a contagious disease but hey the spin-offs are good shows too.

Maybe some of you are noticing this too - that their respective characters are quite the same, right? Except one is divorced the other one is happily married.

12. byline

byline CSI Level One

Not sure if Joan Allen is up for doing a TV series, but I think she would be great!

13. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

LOL when I saw "Joan Allen", I was thinking Joan Cusack. I know the name Joan Allen, but can't remember who she is lol.

I kind of wish Pam Dawber was still doing acting (I don't think she's done anything since 2000) cause I think she might be good on CSI.

14. byline

byline CSI Level One

Joan Allen was in "Manhunter" with William Petersen. She also starred in "Pleasantville," "The Ice Storm," "Nixon" and one of the "Bourne" movies. Here's her IMDb bio: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000260/

15. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

I will say that in a way,Laurence Fishburn's not coming back propably gave Marg a much more graceful way to leave the show than she would have gotten otherwise.