What's your job?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by prokaryote, Sep 3, 2006.

1. prokaryote

prokaryote Witness

I'm at that stage of my education where I'm going to have to declare a major soon, so I've been looking at different careers and I want to learn everything I can. So, my questions to you are:

What do you do/have you done for a living? How is/was the experience? What's your ideal career and why?

2. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

24 years as a desk clerk at hotels. Some of it as manager, some also as night auditor on midnight shift like my current job. I have worked part-time at radio stations for 19 years on weekends running the control board (now usually handled by computers). Brief jobs in between others: 1 year Radio Shlock salesman, a few months shipping and receiving in a electrical supply store, several years pushing carts of audio visual equipment around at the college I went to, and my first job... *drum roll* delivering the New York Post to about 100 customers in the Bronx, New York.

ETA: Dream job would be as a CSI or even a labrat, if I had a decent guidance counselor in high school all those years ago.

3. SaraSidleStokes

SaraSidleStokes Captain

I've been a preschool teacher for awhile now at the moment I teach four and five year olds but in the Past I've taught 2 and 3 year olds , I really enjoy it the only thing I DONT like is when people assume all I do is babysit that is NOT what we're about we actually TEACH they learn things *Shrugs* but whatever

My dream job would be anything to do with Disney

4. feenx

feenx Coroner

I've been babysitting since i was 13, and now im a nanny to 3 kids(10yr, 7yr, and a 5 month old) but i only work 3 days a week so the rest of the time im taking care of my 3 year old nephew( and i do get paid to take care of my own nephew)

5. goreshi

goreshi Rookie

Still studying nursing, and planning to become either a forensic nurse ;), military nurse or pursue a career as a physician....maybe in the field of pediatrics (with endocrinology or respiratory) or orthopedic and spine surgeon :D

6. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Ha! I'm a farmer. Next spring official one ;)

7. meshellb2001

meshellb2001 Lab Technician

I work in a warehouse in the shipping department, Been there for 9 yrs, not really a dream job. Believe me, I'm kicking myself in the butt for dropping out of college.....I could be making better money if I had stayed in school. :lol:

8. Urban_Angel

Urban_Angel Witness

I work in the gaming industry, i get to deal with people all day who think that they know more about my job than i do, so basically all i do is smile and nod and think bad things in my head all day, oh i get to travel as well but that just takes me away from my husband.

My dream job would be, other than ruling the world, something voluntary for a charity, if i could ever afford to that is!

9. saras_girlfriend

saras_girlfriend Coroner

I'm about to start my last year of translating/interpreting. I'm specializing in interpreting and law with English and Spanish as main languages.
    When I'm done I want to study on in Antwerp.
    My dreamjob is working at the European Union or United Nations as an interpreter and at the side I could write, I've wanted to become a writer since the minute I wrote my first word!
    I also read about forensic linguistics, maybe that would be a cool job :)

10. pizzapie

pizzapie Pathologist

I'm a grad student, and right now a TA.

11. faith666

faith666 Police Officer

I'm about to start uni to do adult nursing. My dream job would be to be a theatre nurse, either scrub or anaesthetic (hope that's spelt right).

12. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

I'm currently doing part time jobs to keep me occupied until I start university. Problem being I'm not sure what to study yet... I might go into teaching, journalism or politics...who knows.

My dream job: Mommy, closely followed by shrink, though I guess I'm too weird for that.

13. Roosey

Roosey Captain

I work as a volunteer in an Elders House. I have to feed all the old people and have to do the grocery and stuff. It's nice, but I want to have a paid job. I prefer to have a job as a lawyer, actress, politician or journalist.

14. Florence87

Florence87 Dead on Arrival

at the momenbt im unemployed, but im looking for caféjobs. im thinking of apply for the policacademy in a year or so.

my dream is to go to LA, not to become a celebrity, my dad lives there. (in the same aria as Jorja Fox :) :) :) )

15. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I teach preschool also,
    and I agree, it's maddening when people think all you do is "babysit" or "how hard can it be to watch little kids"
    Harder than you think :)
    I have my CDA and my ECE and am possibly going to go back to teaching next September :D