What is CSI doing wrong?

Discussion in 'General CSI Discussion' started by allmaple, Mar 12, 2007.

1. allmaple

allmaple Judge

its inevitable, after every episode there are those who love it but some who think 'this is the worst episode ive ever seen! i cant believe i wasted an hour of my life!' so my question to all of you is, what are the writers doing wrong? what would you change in a good episode to make it a great episode?
    just a few words of caution: try and limit yourselves to constructive criticism and avoid words like 'hate'. we will close this thread if it gets too angry. and please dont spam with posts like 'nothing!!!!! :D :D :D :D' sound good? ok, go!

i think where csi goes wrong is constantly making the main characters victims. its like an easy way to get character development without trying. some of these characters seem to have the worst luck in the world and are constantly in death defying situations, and it gets a little annoying. i tune in to watch the csis solve the case, not be the case.

2. gsrLOVE

gsrLOVE Pathologist

I agree with the main characters being the victims. But, in all essence, I don't think CSI is doing anything wrong really, more just that so many viewers are used to the old storylines and it's changing. So many people dislike change, even if it's just in a T.V. show and they just need to get used to it.

Also, I think another reason for this change is just that some episodes have some heavy GSR in it, and lots of viewers don't like the relationship (Those in favor of Grillows, Sandles, etc.) or that just don't think it's fair to have relationships on such a show.

Also, in terms of ratings; I don't think CSI is doing anything wrong! And that was proved when they ran reruns, and CSI beat GA. Also, lots of fans like both shows, but will TiVo CSI and watch GA, or some just prefer watching GA over CSI. Maybe it's the sexual tension in other shows that draws viewers.

I believe CSI could still go on for a very long time if they continue writing, directing, etc. they way they do. There are some shows that I could care less about "Monster in the Box" was one of them. But most of the episodes are really great. I don't mind if they have some tension between the other characters (Grissom and Catherine for example) because that's the way it's always been.

3. NHRFan

NHRFan Coroner

I have to agree with GSRlove. Hey GSRlove, don't forget about the Snickers fan, they also very popular. Some people watch GA over CSI.

I rather watch CSI. I don't care much about GA, because too soap opera. CSI didn't do anything wrong, they did a good job with it. They still top 10.

4. SpeedyMeg25

SpeedyMeg25 Coroner

I don't really think that there is anything wrong with CSI lately. I still watch it every week even though they have been reruns, and they are still holding out fairly well in the ratings.
    I think that the only thing that is wrong with the sexual part of the show is that if they are going to initiate a romance between the characters, that the writers continue on with it and develop it.
    I agree that viewers are afraid of things that those in charge do that are different than what we are used to.

5. CSI_CSI

CSI_CSI Witness

The only thing wrong is CSI:NY just so happens to be a Teen Drama.

6. MissKraft

MissKraft Rookie

No, I do not see anything wrong with neither of the CSIs.

As main characters being the victims, I believe it is a good idea. It reminds us that any branch of law enforcement is dangerous, and that the CSIs are 'human'.

7. cainesugar

cainesugar Coroner

This is for Miami, as I don't watch the others regularly. :D They could be perfect and I wouldn't know.

Okay, so sometimes I watch an episode and it keeps me interested and guessing and wondering and the acting's good and the case is good and I really really like it. But a lot of the time I get all worked up and am let down. I think the writers are sort of growing out of the characters' skins- Horatio has changed a lot, for instince, and isn't the old H people grew to love anymore.

Also, the plots are getting dull. They've been going for 5 seasons, and have had more than a hundred cases, so it's hard to be interesting, but they could stop and realize that less than 10% of the Miami population are extremely wealthy and not everyone who's murdered is a supermodel or rich businessman. Most people live in nice but small, average houses or regularly priced condos or apartments, so the cases could vary more on the victims. i always see gorgeous houses for the richest people, but in fact more regular middle-class people are murdered.

And, they need an interesting twist. It can't be some murder with little differences, they need more kidnappings where they can actually save someone, or something that makes the CSIs change or think about things. This weeks looks good because the CSIs need to rely not just on the evidence when triplets are playing them in a murder where one of them did it- these eps sound exciting and hold promise because they're different.

Great idea for a thread. I love to rant not just about how much i love the show but about what it needs to change. Thanks! :D

8. EyeHeartH

EyeHeartH CSI Level One

This may be just me talking, but what's wrong with Miami is that there aren't as much shippery moments, in my opinion, as in the other CSIs. I would love to see more of that in Miami, and perhaps it will get more interesting, because I agree with cainesugar in that it has been a bit dull lately.
    I also agree with cainesugar in that H has definitely changed, and certainly not for the better. I have discussed this before in the David Caruso thread, but he has definitely become a Supercop type as of late. The old H was much more human...this H is...I don't know anymore...
    But then again, Miami is the most watched American import in the world, so the writers must think they're doing everything right.

9. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Just like maplesey said, why they all need to be victims in some point? Especially women.

Give DC some other scenes and positions. All episodes in season 5, he always stands in the same way and has the same expression. I've noticed it when I've taken screencaps. He can do more, so please... do something about it.

10. 27dayz

27dayz Police Officer

While CSI has really creative crimes to solve (though some may be slightly predictable. I have a pretty good idea who the minature killer is), the relationships between characters is virtually ignored, or the characters do things very ooc, like in Redrum for example, where Nick, Greg, Sara, and Warrick turn on Catherine and Keppler. I can see them not trusting the new guy, but Catherine? She's been there for every character at some point in the show (yes, even Sara). Or how about Grissom's distant attitude as of late? He's become a rather flat character. Not to mention, I did not like the way he acted in Way to Go while his friend was fighting for his life.

Also, some relationships and storylines have been virtually ignored. Gil and Catherine had a tight friendship in the earlier seasons, so why has their relationship been non-existant as of late? What about Lindsey, and Sam's money?Whatever happened to Warrick and Nick's friendly competition? What about Warrick's wife? We haven't heard about her in a few eps. How about Greg's court case for fannysmakin'? That still isn't resolved. It was passed over for the Minature Killer and Keppler. I need continuity!

I was also really turned off by the last half of season six and pretty much all of s7 thus far. Personally, I think it has to do with the cannon ship. This is no offence to the GSR shippers; just cannon ships in general. In this case, all other relationships such as G/C, Sandle, Snickers, etc, are ignored. Perhaps TPTB do not want another relationship/friendship overshadowing their cannon ship.

Another problem I have with Cannon ships (I have a few problems with them, but I will try to keep this brief) is that they take away from the mystery. Personally, I enjoyed the show more when I could pick apart lines and moments between two characters that may hint at something more. I miss wondering what Catherine and Grissom could be doing when the cameras go out. I miss imagining Sara and Greg's closeness. I miss lines like: 'She's gonna get you' (Viva Las Vegas) that make me wonder what was going through Sara and Nick's minds. I can't speak for the GSRs, but I'm sure they had fun imagining what those flowers meant in Burden of Proof and in decoding all the GSR moments. They probably had as much enjoyment for the eps as I did trying to decode GC. I have to ask the GSR shippers, and everyone else for that matter, which do you prefer: the iron-clad truth or the the little hints showing something more?

11. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

I'm finding this topic a little ironic because a woman I work with and I were just saying how fantastic this season of CSI has been. (The original, that is; I don't watch the others enough to comment on them).

So, to answer the question- this season, they aren't doing anything wrong, as far as I can tell. :)

12. hui

hui Hit and Run

i noticed the increasing scenes of GSR in S7 and although i'm sort of GSR shipper, i still prefer "little hints showing something more" instead of the outright obvious ones :] (heh, though sometimes that also made me frustrated as i really like to know what's going on so far! :p)

13. ebuzz55

ebuzz55 Pathologist

ITA. For the last 2 years I've bemoaned the fact that LV had lost it's way... lots of weird cases but nothing for the characters to do. But S7 is renewing the things I loved most about LV. It's sense of humor is back. Having Schreiber in during Billy's absence gave the show a twist, and they've taken chances with eps like Toe Tags and had a running theme with the MCSK. Love it or hate it, GSR is finally playing out (admit it, it's been there since S1), probably because all signs point to Billy moving on in the next year or so. He's signed for S8, but I expect to see his appearances pulled back so he can do theatre.

So yeah, S7 rocks and I hope the writers can keep up the momentum through S8. I want to see LV go out on top instead of just dying because the quality fades or nobody cares anymore.

14. alienor

alienor Police Officer

I miss the scenes between Grissom and Catherine ! :( I miss when Cath used to titillate him. It was so fun. :lol: They barely speak to each other now. I don't know why but TPTB have tone down their friendship. :( I'am really disappointed.

15. storynverse

storynverse Civilian

I dont like how Miami might start out with a single case, but than breaks into 50. Sometimes its alright but other times its hard to follow.