What About Being Foster Grandparent?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

I'm not sure is that the right word.
    Today here was picked Grandmother of the Year. It was given to woman in Vantaa (near Helsinki), who classifies herself was "foster grandmother"

I heard her interview in the radio. She said one woman, from Kenya, who had lived long in Finland and had three boys, had said her boys would like to have a grandmother - just like everyone else. So this lady had said "well, I could be their grandmother"
    There it started and she became grandmother for those boys.

She also said there is now 7 foster grandmothers and 2 grandfathers and they always look for new people.

So simply these old people are grandparents for kids who don't have real/own grandparents and do the same things that kids would do with their natural grandparents.

I know here's lots of young people but what do you think of this idea? Could you be "grandparent" for someone not blood related? Would you have accepted non-related grandmother/father?

I think it's cool. Because when being with grandmothers and grandfathers, kids learn so much and learn to respect old people. And there is lots of they can do, when your parents don't have time.

Another "grandmother" event what has been here was in city of Hämeenlinna. If I remember right, there was over 300 grannies in the market square in rocking chairs reading fairytales for kids.

2. Depth-Of-Love

Depth-Of-Love Lab Technician

awww i thinkk that is really sweet! she definatly deserves the award or better yet "best grandma EVER!" hahaha i like that. Thanks for sharing.