Well... experienced my first real earthquake today...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by CSI808, Oct 16, 2006.

1. CSI808

CSI808 Rookie

I'm sorry but if an earthquake wakes me up, then it must be bad. I mean, they don't call me "The Bear" for nothing. FINALLY got our power back after almost 24 hours. That sucked. Just venting... I missed this place in those 24 hours!

2. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Was this the one in Hawaii? Hope everyone you know is safe and secure. About 27 years ago or so, Indiana had an earthquake and we got the tail end of it here in Charleston, WV. I had gotten home from a night shift and slept through it, but a couple of blocks away at an ice cream store, several tubs of ice cream fell over in a walk-in freezer.

3. Dutchie

Dutchie Coroner

I heard about the earthquake on the news, and I agree with Dynamo1, I hope everyone is okay there. I'm glad we don't have earthquakes in Holland. It sounds really scary to me.

4. SidLer

SidLer Coroner

I'm fortunate enough to not have experienced one in my life. Are there any victims? Glad youre safe. I hope things are looking up for the people living there.

5. Roosey

Roosey Captain

Well, we do have earthquakes over here!

I hope you and your family are allright. Hope there aren't any victims. And I haven't watched the news this morning, so I'll watch it tonight.

6. Fool4love

Fool4love Police Officer

Wow earthquakes huh. Hope you and everyone you know are alright. I've always wanted to experience an earthquake. Just a small one, to see whats it is like.

7. blackened623

blackened623 Prime Suspect

We had a small earthquake a couple years ago in Virginia. We live right on a fault line, so they say we have them all the time, but most we can't feel. The earthquake only lasted a few seconds and it didn't do any damage, the earth just shook a little. That would have been really neat to experience, but unfortunately I slept through it! I was exhausted that afternoon so I didn't feel a thing. Felt kinda bad about missing it, but oh well...

But back to the point, I hope everyone is okay there. It must be aweful having a real earthquake...I'm sorry you guys had to go through that...

8. CSI808

CSI808 Rookie

There were no victims thankfully. And no tsunami was generated even though the quake was a 6.6, then a 5.8 aftershock, and about 20 other small aftershocks. Pretty nuts over here! The whole island had no electricity. That's so crazy 'cause we've never had an island wide blackout. And thanks to all for the concern. I appretiate the aloha!

9. Roka4csi

Roka4csi Coroner

Wow, I heard about this and I'm glad there were no victims - I wouldn't have expected that. Look at the bright side, all it takes is some spit to get rid of our electricity, you have it easier since it takes a whole earthquake to wipe yours out :lol:.
    We had a few tiny earthquakes in Beirut earlier this year, wasn't so bad, no one really felt much unless they were awake (it was after midnight). But Beirut is expected to have a major earthquake, we have the perfect location for it. *starts building house out of wood*. I'm glad you're okay CSI808.

10. ziggystarduzt

ziggystarduzt CSI Level Two

I was in California during the big earthquake of '94. I was at Knotts Berry Farm on the log ride, and I didn't feel anything- meanwhile a shopping mall collapsed next door!

I'm really glad you're okay, and that everyone else is as well.

11. korbjaeger

korbjaeger Pathologist

Knott's was running the log ride at 4:30 in the morning? In January? Dang, at least something in Southern California is open after midnight... :lol:

I freakin' HATE earthquakes. I loved living in Sacramento because no faultlines there - if you feel the ground move in Sac, it means something happened in the Bay Area or the Sierras. That $@#& Northridge quake ('94) did it for me. UGH!! I was living in Glendale, and some walls in most of the rooms in our apartment were cracked. I seriously thought the building was coming down. A few days later we went to our old apartment in Tarzana and it looked like a bomb had gone off. (That was barely a mile and a half from the epicenter, though.) I had to take my son to the clinic a couple days after the quake, and it was chaos. It was an HMO, and of the three local clinics, one was quake-damaged and one was destroyed, so three clinics worth of patients and doctors and staff, plus extra patients from the quake. What a mess. And I worked in insurance claims so I had to go into work that day. (60 people worked in my office - only 12 of us made it in. Freeway damage, etc.) Those aftershocks got on my last nerve!!

VERY glad to hear about the lack of casualties from the Hawaii quake! Been there a couple times and I love the place. I have friends going over there in a few days...Aloha and be safe, you guys!