Veg and water anyone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by wibble, Dec 30, 2006.

1. wibble

wibble Corpse

Scientists, nutritionists, etc. say that:

1.) We should eat 5 portions of fruit and veg each day.

2.) We should drink 8 glasses of water each day.

These recommended daily intakes are apparently good for keeping healthy.

Does anyone try and stick to these recommendations? If you do, do you find they improve your health, and in what ways? Anyone here not know about them? or think they are rubbish and you should just eat/drink what you want (in moderation)?

I try and eat at least five portions of fruit and veg each day, and don't eat any junk food like burgers and chips, etc. I find that I don't put on weight (of course, that could be down to something else in my diet or genetic make-up for example). I should probably drink more water though, as no way do I drink 8 glasses a day.

2. Calihan

Calihan Captain

I try to eat furits and vegetables every day, but I relly don't drink much warer. I do have some if I think to but otherwise, none really.

3. allstar12

allstar12 CSI Level Three

I'd love to meet someone who actually drinks 8 glasses of water a day, cause it's hard to do. Even after one glass/bottle of water, I have to pee like 4x throughout the day [probably a little TMI for you guys :lol:]

I always eat fruits and veggies throughout the day though, mainly cause they're yummy :D

4. Rellaaaa

Rellaaaa Lab Technician

I try to stick to fruits and vegetables but sometimes I just don't manage. I hardly ever drink water.

5. kazzy

kazzy Head of the Swing Shift

Well, at college- I drink about 4 bottles of water a day which could be about 6 glasses of water but when Im at home, it's hard to think about it.

And...I used to eat a lot of veg and stuff at my old schol cos they provided it, but now at this college,it doesnt provide anything so..I dont eat anything apart from at home, obviously. :p

6. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

8 glasses? If it's normal glasses...it's like 1.8 litres? Wouldn't be so hard because I easily drink two at once, but I prefer milk and that I drink some 2-3 litres/day. Plus some berryjuice (not soda anymore) So it's rare for me to drink plain water.

Veggies ain't my stuff. At school I do eat salad because often the mainfood sucks. For fresh veggies... cucumber is almost the only one I eat :p But daily? Nah... even fruits are hard to eat since I'm allergic to many.

My weight sticks at the same number. Has been there for 10 years already - no matter what I eat. I don't like when someone tells me what I should eat. Because my anemia, I've got order to eat liverfoods and blackcurrants and that's enough "telling me what to eat"

7. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

I drink a lot of water, so that's no biggie. But the fruit and veggies... grrr. I'm not so hot at those. How about chicken? I eat a lot of chicken! :D

:lol:

I've just never really been a salad person, but I'm trying. I've been getting into spinach salads lately, which I hear is even better for you thanks to the anti-oxidants in spinach. Throw some honey glazed pecans and some balsamic on there and it's pretty tastey! Oh, and I love baby carrots. I could eat those things like candy. ;)

8. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

When my mom first moved to Florida years ago, she would send me crates of oranges and grapefruit. I would just give them out to my co-workers. I told her that I eat the more nutritional foods...tacos, burgers, pizza.

9. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Hey wibble did you realize there's a "Healthy Choices thread? just wondered, and wouldn't this topic go there?

10. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

This is a totally different topic. This is about veggies and water and do you make these choices.

I usually drink water and milk for dinner. As for veggies, potatoes and corn is it for me. :D I love fruits though, raspberries, bananas, starwberries. Love them! :D

11. drkate

drkate Corpse

I drink lots of water, usually I just carry a water bottle around with me and I'll get through about two bottles during the day, sometimes 3 if it's really hot.

As for the fruit and veg, well, I should probably eat alot more fruit then I do but I'm really not that big on fruit at the moment. I eat veggies at dinner time, but I doubt it's really 5 serves... ahh well, can't be perfect I guess :p

12. darx2mint4

darx2mint4 CSI Level One

I drink a TON of water. For breakfast, lunch, and dinner I have a glass, and then 3 more throughout the day. And if I play tennis I go through 2 bottles.

I eat a lot of fruits but not too many vegetables. I have a smoothie everynight, which I make with raspberries, blueberries, mangoes, strawberries, and orange juice. I also like applesauce and grapefruit(i eat a ton of that :p)..but as for vegetables all I really eat is corn and celery. I used to love carrots, but they are sort of hard to eat with braces on, so I just like carrot cake :p

13. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I do drink water but there is no way I can drink 8 glasses. You wouldn't get me off the toilet :lol: I should drink more water but I sometimes just forget to have a drink.

I love salads but I don't have them everyday. I usually have salads 3-4 times a week. As for fruits I enjoy them but I find I can't eat alot of them. I have a tree allergy that believe it or not makes my mouth have an allergic reaction to certain fruits. I can eat these fruits canned or cooked but not raw.

14. vexus

vexus Pathologist

I drink water but I tend to doctor it up.

I put those packs of Crystal Light in there to add flavor to the water so I can drink it. I have a problem with just drinking straight water.

Does that count for water?

15. quoth_the_raven

quoth_the_raven Corpse

I've just recently become a vegetarian and the transition was fairly easy for me seeing how I've always been that one oddball kid who actually ate their vegetables more than willingly :lol: :p When it comes to water pretty much everything I drink has water in it, though I know I don't drink enough. Having too much of anything though can make you sick, so I try not to force it.

And vexus, I do the same thing. Those Crystal Light packets ROCK :lol: :p And the Kool-Aid things aren't bad either ;) I think they do count, seeing how there's very little to them and you're still drinking about 8-12 oz of water in a regular-sized water bottle. There's also only about 15 g of sugar in them.

Compared to soda, that's a major difference :p

I also reccomend switching from regular milk to soy milk. First of all, soy milk is soooo good. Second of all, it's good for you. And the animals. Cow's milk has a lot of fat in it and also sets kids up for allergies. Dairy cows produce about 100 gallons of milk a day which is ten times the amount they're supposed to. We're not supposed to have cow's milk, only their young are. It's like breast milk almost.