Veasey: She Becomes A Person Of Interest

CSI Files

Captain
<I>CSI: New York</I> will add a new character in season six to attract younger viewers and show a different type of forensic scientist.<p>As CSI Files previously <A class="link" HREF="http://www.csifiles.com/news/170709_03.shtml">reported</a>, <font color=yellow>Sarah Carter</font> will join <I>New York</I> as a clean-up technician with a secret. "When you first meet her she doesn't have a job with us," executive producer <font color=yellow>Pam Veasey</font> told <A class="link" HREF="http://www.tvguidemagazine.com/default.aspx">TV Guide Magazine</a>. "She becomes a person of interest—not as a criminal. She's an eager CSI wannabe, who insinuates herself into our lives, and because of her brilliance and her wit and her charm she sort of becomes part of the system. She's not a CSI and it doesn't happen right away."<p>The character is a reference to people that have chosen a career in forensic science since the <I>CSI</I> franchise gained in popularity. "All of our team are cops or went to medical school and they had other jobs that brought them in," Veasey explained. "This is someone who's only been a textbook learner. There's a whole bunch of forensic graduates coming out and they're young people—how do these people get their first job. That's our angle on the new character."<p>The entrance of Carter's character comes on the heels of the exit of <font color=yellow>Emmanuelle Vaugier</font>'s Detective Jessica Angell, who was killed in a diner shooting during the season five finale, <A class="link" HREF="http://www.csifiles.com/episodes/newyork/season5/pay_up.shtml">"Pay Up"</a>. Angell's death was originally <A class="link" HREF="http://www.csifiles.com/news/190509_06.shtml">reported</a> to be a result of budget cuts, but Veasey explained that the situation became more complex because <I>New York</I> cut their overall budget. These changes led them to add a new character despite recently cutting one from the cast. "There was a huge budget cut with actors and salaries and writers, but ultimately, after we'd done that, what do we still need? We still needed the 18-25 demographic, and we'd been trying to get that with guest stars," Veasey explained. "And it was our plan to kill someone on our season finale. We chose her character because of what effect it has on another character. It was good storytelling. But we miss her, we love her talent."<p>The original interview is from <A class="link" HREF="http://www.tvguidemagazine.com/news/sarah-carter-joins-csi-ny-1762.html">TV Guide Magazine</a>. Thanks to <font color=yellow>JellyBelly</font> on TalkCSI for the heads up.<center></center>

Re: Mendelsohn: She Becomes A Person Of Interest

While I agree it's always a good storyline to kill a beloved character, especially when it deeply affects a remaining character, I think it truly sucks they had to do it to Angell for the sake of demographic ratings, which seems to be the bigger issue moreso than the previous budget excuse. Hopefully they'll at least have the descency in letting her absense affect Flack & not just give a few episodes of him grieving then back to business as usual -- purely wasted if that is the case.

I'm not too keen on the choice of actress they chose for Kaye Sullivan, she was one who grated on my last nerve in 'Shark', but I'll give her a chance hoping she'll fit into this role much better than the last. I do find it interesting the angle they're using in introducing her, at least it's different from the norm. Still, I'd rather have kept Angell, sorry Kaye.

I'm giving the character and actress the benefit of the doubt, don't get me wrong - but I'm always a bit wary when a character's awesomeness is touted from the get-go. I just hope it comes across as more than just talk. There are few things that bug me more than watching characters say, 'Wow, you're really great!' to the newbie without me seeing much that actually justifies the opinion.

But, as I said: Me = giving the character an chance. We'll know when the new season rolls around either way. ;)

mjszud said:

I'm not too keen on the choice of actress they chose for Kaye Sullivan, she was one who grated on my last nerve in 'Shark'
I think Shark is the only thing I've seen her in - I didn't watch the show very often, and I wasn't really fond of any of the characters, so I can't even form an opinion. :lol: I remember being a bit iffy about her voice (which is a totally stupid and petty, I acknowledge this :p), but I really want to like her on NY. I do know that I wasn't fond of Bess Wohl in either of her appearances on NY (as a guest-star in season one or a lab tech in season 4), but I've seen her on other things and liked her well enough - so I hope that's a good sign. :)

Last edited:

For some reason all the spoilers about NY lack something.This new character sort of reminds me on Lindsay(which is never good) but maybe the actress will be great and can pull it off.I thought D/L were suppoused to be for the 18-45 demographics but I guess it should be for something else.And I am still unhappy about Angell.:scream:

I remember being a bit iffy about her voice (which is a totally stupid and petty
Oh no, it's fine, cause that's alot of the reason why I didn't get into her character on that show. She was a bit too "mousy"for the part, but I too am hoping she clicks in NY. There's too much I enjoy on this show for her to bring it down anyway, so I'll give her the chance to blend in. :p

This is hard. Part of me wants to hate her, and part of me wants to try to give her the benefit of the doubt.

First of all, I still don't understand the budget thing. But, then again, I've never gotten a paycheck in my life.

Angell was my favorite character, so I suppose most of my initial hatred is just because Kaye will be, in my head, "replacing" Angell.

I am a bit wary about new people/rookies because of the fiasco on CSI. I'm sick of the limelight towards the rookie over there, so I hope and pray that they don't do that on NY and ruin that for me too.

I didn't really watch much Shark... although I'm going to take a wild guess and guess that she was the blonde? Her name began with an M maybe?

I don't remember her voice being that mousy on Smallville (I didn't watch Shark), so maybe her character on Shark was just supposed to sound that way. Kind of like the woman that played Karen on Will and Grace... her normal voice is very normal sounding, but the voice of her character on the show was very irritating. :lol:

I am a bit wary about new people/rookies because of the fiasco on CSI. I'm sick of the limelight towards the rookie over there, so I hope and pray that they don't do that on NY and ruin that for me too.

I didn't really watch much Shark... although I'm going to take a wild guess and guess that she was the blonde? Her name began with an M maybe?

There were two blondes on Shark ... at least for a while cause I'm pretty sure that Jeri Ryan (7 of 9 from Star Trek Voyager) was on there. I remember seeing her in commercials for the show. :lol: I don't know any character names. :lol:

Anyway, I'm pretty sure we won't have to worry about her getting as many scenes as LF cause she's not as well known. If you've watched Smallville though, Sarah was Alicia and if I'm not mistaken that's the one that Clark went off and married when he was under the influence of that red kryptonite... or was it black kryptonite? I forget. :lol:

Last edited:
Yeah...note to self, pay attention to which executive producer is actually talking. I had Mendelsohn instead of Veasey. :eek:

*is a dork* :lol:

That's all right, Fay. In my head every single time any PTB talks I assume it's either Mendelsohn or Veasey, even if we're talking about Vegas or Miami. *laughs*

GNRFan: I mean the younger one. I think she was dating... Casey?

It's true that she's not as big of a star as LF, but I just have this violent reaction to rookies that get more than ten minutes of screentime per episode, and I'm sensing that TPTB want to push Kaye to the foreground to try to drag in that demographic. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure we won't have to worry about her getting as many scenes as LF cause she's not as well known. If you've watched Smallville though, Sarah was Alicia and if I'm not mistaken that's the one that Clark went off and married when he was under the influence of that red kryptonite... or was it black kryptonite? I forget. :lol:

Really??? That was one of the episodes I actually saw! I totally remember that girl. Well, not in detail, but I remember the character. Don't remember what I thought of her though, but I probably would remember if she'd annoyed me. I liked the episode if I remember correctly.

I think that TPTB has officially gone insane.

Okay, numero uno: Why kill off a character that basically everyone adores? I mean, sometimes it's good, but this time it's anything but. Why not kill off someone that most people hate and make the viewers happy? *Coughscoughs* I'm sure you guys know who I mean.:shifty: ;)

Number 2: Why bother replacing Jess with someone new, that fans have a "love/hate" feeling to already; even before the "big unveiling"? Wouldn't they save more money anyway without hiring someone new and that was their goal: To save money. It's their call, so if anything goes wrong, they know who to blame.:p

TPTB should really come to these threads more often (if they know of them) to see what the viewers' opinions and go along with it. We are the ones that keep the show alive...

Not to judge because we haven't seen Sullivan yet, but she already sounds annoying.:wtf: How is that possible? *Trust me, with TPTB, now anything's possible.:lol:*

How come I've never heard of what's-her-name on Smallville or Shark?:confused:

CSI Files said:
Sarah Carter will join New York as a clean-up technician with a secret.

*YAWN* Sounds A LOT like the miniature killer from CSI Vegas. Sorry but this storyline is getting used to often. I know it's hard to come up with new storylines for all three shows, but this one is just out right dull. :rolleyes:

I do hope she butts heads with Lindsay though.

Well unless her secret is that she's a serial killer who makes miniature crime scenes, I think we can safely say that this will be a different type of story lines.

I'm guessing that she's somebody who cleans up crime scenes, and I'm pretty sure the miniature scene killer was a general cleaner, not a crime scene cleaner.

Actually, it will be something new. 9 seasons of CSI, 5 of of CSI New York, and we've never once seen anything about who cleans up after the crimes? That'll be interesting to say the least.

I'm guessing that she's somebody who cleans up crime scenes, and I'm pretty sure the miniature scene killer was a general cleaner, not a crime scene cleaner.

Thats what I was thinking too. Natalie was a janitor type I think.

Actually, it will be something new. 9 seasons of CSI, 5 of of CSI New York, and we've never once seen anything about who cleans up after the crimes? That'll be interesting to say the least.

On Miami though, Natalia's ex husband was a crime scene cleanup guy. But, it's the only CSI show that has featured a recurring character who does that type of job. Though Vegas did have one ep where there was a crime scene cleanup guy who tried to talk Nick and Warrick into joining his crew. :lol: But, that was just one ep. So, I do think this will be interesting and new. Hopefully. I guess all we can do is wait and see. I wonder if she'll be in the first episode cleaning up the diner/bar crime scene.

Ceindreadh said:
Well unless her secret is that she's a serial killer who makes miniature crime scenes, I think we can safely say that this will be a different type of story lines..

Good point, but what I meant was that the 'new person with a "dark secret" is getting old.

Maybe I read it wrong but that's what this new person sounds like to me. I guess we'll find out when CSI NY starts. ;)

Back