V - The Visitors Are Among Us

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Ginnna, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

Has anyone heard about the new ABC show called "V"? It's a remake of a 1980's sci-fi mini-series turned TV show. It looks really promising and all the reviews so far have had nice things to say. Apparently, despite the fact that most of the ensemble cast don't get the chance to really flesh out in this 40-odd minute premiere, it looks really promising.

Personally, I'm excited to see Morena Baccarin in a series again. I adored her in Firefly and I've been waiting for her to land another major role (mostly because she's a fantastic actress... and a little bit because I think she's freaking hot).

I'm also looking forward to see Elizabeth Mitchell (Juliet from LOST) in a kick-ass, take names role. I think I'm one of the only people who watches LOST and didn't like Juliet, so I'm hoping that I'll like this character better... because, honestly, I don't have anything against Ms. Mitchell, but I just couldn't stand the way she portrayed Juliet. Too much kind-yet-sad smirking and hushed, breathy tones. Ugh. The only time I liked her was when she cut the crap, flexed her muscles and stopped speaking in that damned creepy "soothing" voice.

Plus...

I love shows about aliens. Hello, recovering X-Files fanatic here. So a show about lizard people in human suits appeals to my inner sci-fi fan.
    ANYWAY...

Anyone else heard about it? Anyone else excited to see it? Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

2. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Administrator Administrator

I was a big fan of the old "V". I am looking forward to this.

3. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

From TV Guide online:

ABC Takes to Skies to Promote V
    Oct 19, 2009 02:46 PM ET
    by Gina DiNunno

ABC will draw attention to the skies to promote their alien-invasion drama V.

Starting Friday, skywriters will create giant Vs in the sky above 26 U.S. landmarks, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The marketing push is a play on the spaceships that hover about cities in the show's premiere episode (Tuesday, Nov. 3 at 8/7c).

ABC, which hasn't revealed where and when the Vs will appear, says the Statue of Liberty and Capitol Records building are possible locations. The Vs will be done several times a day at each landmark until the series premiere of the sci-fi reboot.

4. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

I'm totally checking this out. I had a big crush on Marc Singer back in the day. :lol:

A friend of mine lives in this sort of well known building here in Vancouver called The Waterfall Building. They also film lots of stuff there- Battlestar Galactica- that apartment where StarBuck was being held captive, and a few other episodes as well; the movie White Noise, etc. Anyway, apparently in V, the Visitors set up these "Friendship Centres" and one of them was in my friend's building in the gallery in the middle, so he got to see a bit of filming. Unfortunately, he doesn't watch TV, so he couldn't tell me if there were any familiar faces or anything! :lol: Oh well.

Anyway, if this show turns out to be cool, that will be another bonus for ABC- all their new shows seem to be a) really well written, and b) doing really well! Kudos to ABC for taking some chances these days. Hopefully the other networks will follow suit and try to make TV interesting again. I could not be more sick of reality shows and crappy sitcoms, not that I ever watched them.

5. Dynamo1

From TV Guide online:

ABC Cancels V's Skywriting Stunt

Oct 28, 2009 02:08 PM ET
    by Gina DiNunno

ABC has nixed a promotional campaign to skywrite giant red Vs in the skies above major cities to promote its new alien-invasion drama, TVGuide.com has confirmed.

The cancellation comes on the heels of a column by Washington Post reporter Lisa de Moraes, who estimated the amount of pollution the skywriting campaign would cause. Disney (ABC's parent company) had previously promised to go more green by cutting carbon emissions from fuels in half by 2012.
    ABC originally planned to have skywriters create giant Vs in the sky above 26 U.S. landmarks multiple times a day as a play on the spaceships that hover above cities in the show's premiere episode (Tuesday, Nov. 3, 8/7c, ABC).

A network spokesperson said that the network has simply decided to spend its money on different things.

6. BabaOReilly

Man, I am psyched to check this out tomorrow night. I hope it lives up to the hype. I remember when everybody and their cat was tuning into the first season- I think the streets were barren while everyone was inside watching the miniseries! :lol: It was quite the phenomenon back in the day.

7. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

It's airing tonight! *squees* Hooray!

Unfortunately I'll be attending my Religion & the Modern World course from 7-10, so... the episode will have to DVR and I'll have to watch it once I get home... but actually that's not so bad because I'll be able to fast forward through the commercials!

Ah, always a silver lining, aye? ;)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  8. BabaOReilly

OK, so... what'd you think? I liked it, myself. Although I just read something that said we'll only get 4 episodes before it's on winter hiatus? And also that as of today one of the main writer/producers (Scott Peters) is being replaced? What the... Seems a little odd to have that happening just as it premiers? Rumour has it the new writer is also fantastic, but...?

9. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

In the process of watching now. Liking Elizabeth Mitchell better in this role already.

Ooooooo the bottom of the ships are turning into a big TV screen! And the title screen is very cool.

What the nut? People are CHEERING? I mean, isn't ANYONE in this screwed up world still cynical? I'd be like "Yeah, you SAY you come in peace, and you SAY you're willing to help, but I think I'll hold off on believing you until we know a little more". I don't think I'd break into riotous applause. In fact I'd probably be peeing my pants.

:lol: :lol: LOL, News Reporter Guy called Anna hot... and she was like "right back atcha, tiger". Love it!

Morena Baccarin is just as I remember - great actress, smokin' hot. :D

It's great to see Alan Tudyk too (also a Firefly veteran). I get the feeling that he's not a good guy, though. I'll be waiting for him to turn.

I don't like Lisa. I also don't like Tyler and her making googly eyes at each other. Yep. Right off the bat I don't like the teen drama.

The inside of the mothership is awesome.

Who is this engaged couple that seems to have nothing to do with nothing? Weird.

Awwww Elizabeth Mitchell flirted with Alan Tudyk.

Oh, engaged dude has a nasty past. I see.

EWWWWW BLOOD. *shudders*

Ah ha, so the V's are finally getting all sneaky.

Cat's out of the bag! The V's are reptilian! Oh snap!

Hey, has anyone heard of David Icke? "At the heart of his theories lies the view that the world is ruled by a secret group of reptilian humanoids called the "Illuminati" and that many prominent figures are reptilian, including George W. Bush, Queen Elizabeth II, Kris Kristofferson, and Boxcar Willie." Sounds familiar... ;)

"A sleeper cell of Visitors?" "Yeah, a sleeper cell of Visitors". *picks at ears* Is there an echo in here?

OH SHITE, a V smackdown at the secret resistance meeting! AH HA HA, and I knew Alan was playing a bad guy! *doing the victory boogie* Ew, he's got flappy skin and a lizard face. Do not want.

Ah, THERE'S the significance of Engaged Guy. I'd read about having a V in the show that opposes what their race is doing. I like that it's him.

In the end, I though Elizabeth Mitchell was gonna say that they're arming themselves with the most powerful weapon of all - our children. But then I realized that she didn't know about the "Ambassador" program.

Overall I liked it. I really did. Obviously they had a LOT to do in this episode, so all the characters weren't as fleshed out as I'd like, but I'm sure we'll have a chance to get to know them later on. Speaking of "later on", I read on Wikipedia that it's a "13 episode series". Is that "series" in the way Americans use the term, or "series" in the way the UK uses the term? If it's the former, then the whole show is over by next year. If it's the latter, there's the possibility it'll be back again.

10. Dynamo1

The original V was a mini-series, but it did so well that NBC brought it back as a series. It only lasted part of one season, 19 episodes. I don't know what ABC has planned. It could cancel it quicker than a bad sitcom or extend it for more episodes. The ratings will help them decide.

I was just wondering about something. And any of you conspiracy theorists might agree with me. Do you think these aliens are responsible for the people blacking out and seeing the future on Flash Forward? You notice that something strange happens when these ETs arrive. Might make for an interesting crossover. Same network, so that should help.

11. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

I was asked about this thread, and looking for it. So here it is. ;)

12. BabaOReilly

Thanks! :)

Yeah, so the first new episode we've had in a long while and it wasn't too bad. Although I have to admit I was more than a little shocked to see a guy I know playing the Queen's "mating partner" at the end! :lol: He's actually a Vancouver policeman and fitness trainer, so I have no idea what he's doing with a small role in V! Even more entertaining was the fact that she apparently ate him shortly after using him to procreate! :lol:

Anyhow, not bad, not bad... I'm going to keep watching. This show is sort of like FlashForward- some hits and misses and I'm still undecided as to whether I will be watching for the long run.

Oh, another bonus- good to see Lexa Doig! Seems some of my SG1 characters are working together again, which is nice to see. :)

13. BabaOReilly

Um, wow. I don't know if tonight's episode was the season finale but whoh: it was a good one. LOTS of stuff going down. This show actually keeps getting better, so I hope it sticks around for a while. ;)

14. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Yep it was the season finale. And V has been renewed for a second season :). I think they will have around 13 episodes and will be starting midseason.

I really wanted to see that baby...:lol:

15. BabaOReilly

I know right! I was dying to see it, especially after it made this lizard sounding cooing noises and wrapped it's little tail around it's daddy's finger!

And man, what is with the red skies? I can't wait to see what the lizard apocalypse looks like! Also, very glad that Joshua (V doctor) survived after all. I've grown very fond of that character, although I can't pinpoint why, exactly? He's much better looking to me than he used to be too! :lol: That may have something to do with it. ;)