US remakes

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Poppet, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

Sorry but I need to have a little rant. Why do US networks feel the need to remake British/AustralianTV shows instead of just showing the originals? really annoys me. The Office, Life on Mars, Kath and Kim and now apparently Peep Show aaaaarrrrrrrggggghhhhh leave me favourite shows alone!

I understand Americans might not get some of the references in the originals but at the sametime they may learn something about life in countries outside the US.

2. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

It's not just British and Australian shows. Hollyweird has been remaking American shows like Knight Rider, Bionic Woman, Password, and The Gong Show. They have also remade some Japanese shows. But then, other countries have remade Wheel Of Fortune and Family Feud among other shows. It has been happening for years. Some have been good, like All in the Family and Three's Company. And some have been awful. I guess they have run out of ideas.

3. Yoshi

Yoshi Basement Moderator Moderator

I was reading about the US remake of Life On Mars today, it was the first I'd heard of it. I think it would have to be remade/rewritten for an American audience because the references are so very different - although I doubt they could ever come up with a better equivalent of Gene Hunt :D Philip Glenister was born to play that part.

Some US remakes have been as good as their originals (The Office), or in some cases, better (QAF).

Have to say, I don't want to see a British CSI though. Some things should just never be messed with. :D

4. Urban Legend

Urban Legend Captain

I'm not sure, but I've always wondered why it's alright for America's shows to be shown in their original form outside of America, but American networks won't show other Countries shows in the original forms.

5. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

I usually hate remakes... some work out, some don't. If I remember right Fawlty Towers was copied as well but didn't work. I guess The Office works.

If I read front page of TV.com last week, I think they've made US version of "The Worst Week of My Life"

I prefer British shows... oh the British humour is so great and dry and clever. You love it or you hate it. AMerican comedy is very simple humour. So Hard2Handle, perhaps that's the reason why original ones are not shown in US.

I mean, shows like Green Wing (oh google it, youtube it!) could never be made in US or it would never work there.

Of course there is shows that have different version of it in every country... meh, what's the aussie show..Neighbours? We have own version of that, we've seen also the Swedish version of it

6. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

Amen at that! :D But I wouldnt want a British CSI either:lol:

I agree with Ducky about the Humour thing. British humor is great and sometimes is never understood by others :lol:....I've only ever seen a few eps but The Green Wings great :D

7. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Amanda's (1983) starring Bea Arthur (Maude, Golden Girls)
    Payne (1999) starring John Larroquette (Night Court, Boston Legal)

8. Ducky

I remember when I thought British humour was dull, but then I guess..I got older. Oh Green Wing! Try to watch all of it. My favourite scene from that show, I don't know does it make any sense if you haven't seen any of the show. I guess this was one of the most random scenes also :D
    Hmm... is there Britcom thread already?

I guess that's the reason why those don't work. The situations of British series, especially in comedy don't work with other kind of humour and I could never think remake of shows such as Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister or Absolutley Fabulous etc. or My Family (oh Ben is just too adorable :p )

But then again... US procudes great comedies so why need to make these...remakes?

Dynamo, thank you for those :D Didn't remember the names, just remembered an article about original British shows vs. US remakes

As for Japanese shows.. I guess remake of Sasuke works at US, called American Ninja Challenge :p

9. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

I think that History has something to do with it. I mean some of the most popular Britcoms either have a history element or something about British Family homes :lol: eg. Faulty Towers, One Foot In the Grave, Dads Army, My Family, Black Adder, Open all hours, Keeping Up Apperences.......

Exactly! Friends :)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  10. candygirl1uk

candygirl1uk Pathologist

LOL, so what about Little Britain in America? Do Americans get that though? I dont think they do, but if im wrong please correct me!

They're showing Little Britain (made in America) on the BBC, but I've not seen it yet, but shouldnt it be called Little America? :shifty:

11. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

I think they had to change parts, but thats a think :lol:

Isn't it Little Brittain In America?- who cares :lol: I think the idea that its not Little America is the point :D I mean then it can be British humur with just the element of it being in the US, a bit like the show Benidorm :lol: I know its not the same but its British humour set away from home :lol:- Oh god I dont make any sense tonight :p

12. candygirl1uk

candygirl1uk Pathologist

LOL that didn't make sense but it was funny reading it.

IT's just funny though, little britain in america lol.. I dont know if Americans could get certain characters.

13. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

haha Told you I didnt!

Way too much coffee the other night :lol:

14. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

The one that upsets me the most is "Touching Evil." What's the point of remaking it? It's not like the language is difficult to translate! :wtf: What a waste of money. The American star can't touch Robson Green (spelling?) as the lead. He's sexy and a fantastic actor! And, oh yeah, I'm from the United States!!!

15. Ducky

Yeah, I was just wondering how they take Vicky Pollard :lol::lol::lol:
    And one of my fave characters, Daffyd Thomas