TV question

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by RBC, Aug 2, 2006.

1. RBC

RBC Coroner

I am wondering what the times like 9/8c mean. I thought the program lasts from 8 to 9, but that turns out not accurate. Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't live in the US. Can someone explain?

2. kazzy

kazzy Head of the Swing Shift

It could mean 9pm on the east coast but 8pm in the central USA for the start of the programme? I dunno but its what it looks like. :p

3. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Almost, but not quite. The main part of the United States (except for Alaska and Hawaii) is divided into 4 time zones. From the Atlantic to the Pacific, they are Eastern, Central, Mountain, and Pacific. When an announcer or advertisement says 8/9C, it usually means 8:00 Eastern time zone and 9:00 Central. World Time Zone chart

4. RBC

RBC Coroner

Thank you very much Dynamo1. But what about the other time zones then? I always thought they aired it at the same time, and that time zones that were behind just get to see it an hour later (or how much they lie behind).

5. kazzy

kazzy Head of the Swing Shift

Dang...close anyway. :rolleyes:

6. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

If a show is taped or filmed, like the CSI series, they usually air first in the Eastern and Central time zones. For example, CSI Miami will air at 10:00 Eastern, 9:00 Central. Then it will air 9:00 Mountain, and again at 10:00 Pacific. If something is aired live, it could be like 10E, 9C, 8M, 7P.

7. RBC

RBC Coroner

Thanks again Dynamo1 :D
    It's all clear to me now.