The Secrets Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by eggbe4thechicken, May 1, 2007.

1. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

So I have thought of another 'get to know your fellow TalkCSI-ers' thread. :lol:

Is there something that few people know about you? Do you have an illness, a phobia, strange habit or fetish, are you deaf, blind, or play an instrument, outrageous hobby, etc?

Maybe noone knows about your secret but you? Why not share it here? You are pretty much anonymous remember. ;)

This probably won't be a very popular thread, but I'll start. :lol:

*clears throat*

I have Social Phobia, sometimes known as Social Anxiety Disorder.
    This is what it is. I also have an Opendiary, where I share what has happened to me day by day, it's free to view on my profile. ;)
    I made a decision a while back, that I was going to be 'the old me' online, in hopes of becoming that person again. :rolleyes: So that is why I don't come across as shy on this thread. It seeps through every so often. (Have a mini stroke occasionally when someone PMs me. :lol:)
    Pretty much everything about the disorder is under the click above. ;)
    Oh, Here's a nice bullet point list of symptoms
    Maybe next time you see someone blushing, you won't be so hard on them? :rolleyes:

Again, sorry if this thread already exists. :rolleyes:

Your turn. :p

2. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

When I was in grade school, I played....... an accordian. Yup, an early Steve Urkel.

3. cainesugar

cainesugar Coroner

I hate the phone. I can't call people up on the phone unless I really know them. I also won't talk to people I don't really know, so I'm having trouble with an English project where I have to interview people. I'm ver social with my friends and online but in RL...I'm not much of a people person. :lol:

I'm also going deaf. I can't hear the loudest things, people right in front of me, but I can hear background noises, loud and clear. It's because the lower the tone, the least audible to me. It sucks sometimes bacause I'll be talking with someone and be like 'What?' the whole time.

I'll save the rest for...ahem, later. :) Another great thread, from the egg. :D Thanks!

4. loki

loki Lab Technician

oh wow! I have tons of secrets, and even more phobias, :lol: I'm strange...

I'll have to post them here when I think of them, but this thread reminded me of postsecret.com, does anyone else go there?

One thing I can think of is that I'm afraid of clowns... and snow... is that normal?

5. ilh214

ilh214 Pathologist

hmmm secrets thread. very interesting indeed. :)

its not exactly a secret but I don't broadcast it either, I have OCD. I am deathly afraid of odd numbers. Everything has to be even and I count everything multiple times...ceiling tiles, windows, the dashes on the road, etc. I had to take the ACT test a second time becuase the first time I couldn't finish because I was seated infront of a brick wall and I HAD to count all the bricks. there were 512. I checked 4 times. I do everything in even numbers without even noticing. I lock doors multiple times, check windows, I wash my hands an even number of times...you get the idea. I won't even leave this board if my post count is an odd number. I can't stand it. And if someone intentionally messes with my counting or prevents me from counting something that absolutely has to be counted it usually ends in a panic attack.

Anyway, yeah. I'm a bit weird.

6. cainesugar

cainesugar Coroner

:lol: No you're not Stef. I have OCD as well..not as seriously, but I double-check everything, I won't let myself fall asleep is I think anything hasn't been turned off, or put exaclty back in order, and while I'm not a neat-freak, I flip out when something isn't in the right place. Also, whenever I'm going somewhere, I go nuts if I think I'm not going to be early. I have to be early for everything. It drives my family nuts.

7. loki

loki Lab Technician

Oh wow, I have OCD too! I didn't think of posting it here because it's not exactly a secret, everyone here knows about it :lol:

It's not as extreme as yours, but it annoys people. It mostly pertains to stupid things like punctuation and grammar, ordering things, making sure everything has a place and that it's always in it... my mom calls it perfectionist disorder, lol, but in high school I made a fortune correcting people's English papers, so maybe it's not a bad thing...

8. ilh214

ilh214 Pathologist

yay for OCD! lol glad i'm not alone. :D i have all kinds of weird things goin on in my head. like, 'if i don't get to class by 8:47 then something terrible is going to happen' stupid stuff like that. thats why i count and do things of that nature. i'm supposed to be on medication for it but i don't take it, actually i'm supposed to be on meds for a lot of things but i don't do that either lol.

i used to do that in high school too! but i didn't charge...i'm thinking i seriously should have now.

9. loki

loki Lab Technician

Hehe, I didn't start charging until someone actually offered to pay, then I figured it was good business :lol:

I hate the fact that I freak out at having stuff on my hands, does that happen to you guys? Like I can't stand it if my hands are wet or sticky or dirty and I can't wear gloves, lol, I just got used to wearing rings, but now that I'm used to them, I can't NOT wear them. I'm not sure if it's an OCD thing or if I'm just weird, lol.

10. SaraSidle_girl

SaraSidle_girl Pathologist

I hate the phone. I don't mind if anyone calls me but when I have to call somebody else... all hell breaks loose. I rather use email or text message. I don't know why I dislike it so much.

Not many people know I used to cut myself pretty badly. For the past 8 years I've been selfharming. I managed to quit a few times but fell back every once in a while. For the past month I've given up self harm and I am doing OK. I gotta deal and life with my scars and that isn't always easy byt I'll make it.

11. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

I have a mild form from manic-depressive (heavy moodswing disorder). So I don't get halicinations and my depressions aren't that deep. But I do have periods that I sleep for about 0-3 hours.. they can last for a day upto longer... my longest period so far is a little over 4 months... And then of course the periods I sleep 12 hours or longer a day. And those hours do not make up for the less sleep period... or manic period...

Everybody I know finds me weird because some moment I am very there and trying to get more attention (ADD like) and other moments I am quiet and try to be unnoticable. Ofcourse I also have my normal periods like most people on this globe... But making friends is kinda hard because they like the quiet me or the ADD me... But being 22 years old is enough to have some good friends... But had trouble with it in the past!

I have learned to live with it very well.. No drugs and such and that works fine for me.. I do have troubles with school since both extreme moods give me a bad concentration! But when needed I can ask for an extension and such. And currently working for my bachelor degree in bio-informatics.

12. CSI_Dani

CSI_Dani CSI Level Two

I also have a problem with phone calls. But glad that I am not alone in that one. I hate to call people and I hate when people call me. I tend to get a bit nervous everytime it happens. I just don't like it.

I also hate go to shops, especially alone, I hate to have to pay and stuff, because I am always afraid I have lost my money. That's why I always double check it. Wait a minute, double?! I check it more than twice everytime.
    The same goes for little things that people ask me that involve talking and asking things to people I don't know well, like when teachers ask me to go take photocopies or something. Ughhh :rolleyes:

13. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

:eek: Wow, I was worried that I would post this topic, come back and my confession would be all on its lonesome! :lol:

Oh, on phone calls. Dear god, don't go there. :eek: I have to answer the phone at work, not good, I stutter, fumble my words, press the wrong buttons on the phone, ahhhhh! It's worse when there is someone listening to you when you are on the phone. Oh, I also blush, very odd, it's not like they can see me? :confused:

Shopping...Don't remember the last time I went shopping, lol, I online shop. I hate going into a shop and seeing all the perfect people, I always think everyone is looking at me wondering why I am there. Anyone else get that?

Tuffel I know a few people(online) who self harm have you tried the ice trick? It works for some people. I don't know.

Dynamo, you still play the accordian? That's pretty awesome. I play the good old violin, along with the rest of the world. :lol:

Doesn't it feel good to share people? :D

14. SaraSidle_girl

SaraSidle_girl Pathologist

eggbe4thechicken What is the ice trick?

15. ilh214

ilh214 Pathologist

Tuffel21 I used to cut too. I haven't done so in about 6 months. I'm not sure about the ice trick but you might try a rubberband around your wrist and just snap it really hard. That seemed to help me some. Its extremely hard to stop, I know that. Good luck to you. :)

BlueCurl I'm bipolar too. My mood swings have slowed down alot. It used to be constant but now I have periods in between which is great. I don't mind mania so much because when that hits I always get so much done lol. I clean like a maniac and stay up for days. but I hate the other side. for me, its like being stuck in a hole and even though I want to get out I can't. I can never find a reason for being so depressed and I hate it. then after a while its like a light switch and I'm back to normal. I'm pretty sure I can handle it now. I stopped going to doctors and stopped taking meds. I'm pretty sure they didn't know what they were talking about anyway. I think I'm fine. :D

I feel like seriously not alone in this thread. very cool.