The Find Her Series #2 ; Merry Go Round Again (G/S)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by saraXsullivan, Feb 10, 2007.

1. saraXsullivan

saraXsullivan CSI Level Two

This is book two of the Find Her Series. You'll probably be confused and not fully understand what's happening or not fully understand the characters if you don't read the first one. Soo..

Fine Her Series #1 ; Butterflied Again

So yeah, I'm making the story into a series, because I found I have many ideas for what I want to happen to the little family of Gilbert Grissom, Sara Sidle and Dani Sidle.

I made myself sound so cruel there.

Anyway..

Book Title: Merry Go Round Again.
    Pairing: Grissom / Sara.
    Disclaimer: I don’t own CSI, my own characters, however, such as Dani and Adam, I do own. Cause I’m cool and get to own people.
    Summary: The second book in the Find Her Series. A bit of Déjà vu? Another chance for the outcome to be good or bad.

Chapter One ;
    Morning Lifestyle.

Dani Sidle walked out of her bedroom in a black tank top and white pajama pants. Her dark brown hair that was fairly long and went down to about the middle of her back was in a loose ponytail. It was a warm August morning and it had only been two months since Dani had moved in with Sara and Grissom, but she felt like she had been living there her whole life.

The now 13-year old girl walked into the part of the apartment that was a living room. She looked on the bookshelf for something interesting to read. She was bored and had been up for about an hour, and couldn’t fall back to sleep, so she decided to read something.

Dani glanced at the clock that was on the microwave in the kitchen part of the apartment, it glowed 6:52. She sighed and turned back to the bookshelf, searching the spines of some books, seeing if anything would catch her eye. Most of the books were forensics books, or science books, which Dani found to be extremely interesting. She paced back and forth a couple of times in front of the bookshelf, then picked up the cordless phone from the island in the kitchen and walked back to her bedroom.

Careful not to wake a sleeping Sara in the next room, she quietly dialed Adam’s cell number, which she knew off by heart. He was her best friend, and her like for solitude made him her only friend other than Sara and Grissom. She let out a small sigh of relief as the phone rang instead of giving her ‘this customer is not available at this time’ that she usually got when she called Adam early in the morning or late at night.

“Dani?” Adam asked, whispering. Dani felt a slight bit of excitement, since he had answered the phone.

“Hi,” Dani said, also whispering into the phone. Adam sounded like he was very awake. “What’s up?”

“Dani, it’s 7 in the morning, nothing is up, including almost no one,” Adam said, still whispering.

“Grissom is, he’s at work,” Dani said.

“Dani, what’s wrong?”

“Why do you assume something is wrong?” Dani asked.

“Most teenagers are sleeping at this time during the summer,” Adam explained simply.

“I’m not like most, and you aren’t sleeping now either.”

“Wow, you’ve managed to change the conversation for longer this time,” Adam said with a slight laugh. This made Dani smile at how much they knew each other.

“I’m bored, and am bored of looking for something to do,” Dani said. She heard movement in the next room, it startled her at first but then recognized it as Sara’s footsteps. She knew she’d get yelled at if she was on the phone at this time in the morning. “I have to go, Sara’s up,” Dani whispered into the phone.

“Okay, call me later,” he said and Dani hung up the phone. She put the phone on her desk and got out a book and sat on her bed and pretended to read it. She listened as Sara moved from her bedroom to the small hallway to the kitchen, probably to get a drink. Dani smiled to herself, Sara hadn’t heard the phone call, or she just chose to ignore it. Dani put the book on her book shelf and let herself out of her room and walked into the kitchen. She hoped up and sat on one of the stools at the island. Dani crossed her arms and put them on the table.

Sara, who was tending to coffee, now turned and looked at Dani. She then glanced at the schedule posted on the fridge, then turned back to Dani. “Both Grissom and I are working tonight, so if anything happens just call or go over to Mrs. Brady’s,” Sara said. Mrs. Brady was the middle-aged lady who lived across the hall, with her husband Tim.

“I know,” Dani said with a somewhat annoyed tone.

Sara stared into Dani’s green eyes, she just wanted her to be safe, and she couldn’t stress that enough. “I’m just making sure,” she said with a little smile.

Dani sighed, “Sara, you’re my sister, not my mother.”

This made Sara stop.

She swallowed then spoke softly, “I know, it’s just…”

“Sara, I was in foster families, it’s not like I had no mother-figure at all,” Dani said, cutting her off.

Sara was always amazed by Dani’s intelligence. “I know that, but…”

“You don’t have to replace mom,” Dani said, guessing again at what Sara might be trying to say.

“I… I guess that’s what I’ve been doing,” Sara admitted. Sara looked at Dani, who only looked back. “I’m sorry, I didn’t realize I was… it’s just our age difference makes me feel like I have to be a mother to you, and when the social worker interviewed me, that’s what they were expecting too.”

Dani nodded, “Okay.”

There was silence for a few short moments.

“Want some cereal?” Sara asked.

Dani smiled, “Sure.”

---

About half an hour later, Grissom walked into the apartment to see the two women in his life cleaning up, probably from eating breakfast. He kicked off his shoes, put down his suitcase then walked into the kitchen. He greeted Sara, who was washing a few dishes, with a hug and a small kiss on the cheek. Then he walked over to the other side of the island and greeted Dani with a hug.

“How was work?” Dani asked, it had become a routine for her every morning that someone came home from the Crime Lab.

“It was okay,” Gil answered.

“Just okay?” Sara asked, turning to him from the sink.

“Ecklie was chasing me around the lab, trying to get me to do paper work,” Grissom answered.

Dani raised an eyebrow, “Chasing?”

“Not literally, Dani,” Grissom said. Dani smiled and Sara laughed. Grissom yawned, “I’m going for a sleep.”
    He left the room and Sara continued to wash the dishes, Dani hoped down from the stool she was sitting in.

“I’m going for a shower,” Dani said then walked down the small hallway.

-------------------

I promise, it will get more interesting than that. :)

2. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

LOL at Ecklie chasing him

More soon!

3. Mini_Catherine

Mini_Catherine CSI Level One

Not literally chasing? Man, way to ruin the fun!

Not really, I'm just joking. But anyway, I was expecting Sara to be hurt when Dani made that comment about not replacing her mom.. Interesting twist there. I like it, the story. And I love you, Sara. ;)

4. saraXsullivan

Chapter Two ;
    Inseperable

After her shower, Dani blow dried her hair a bit and let the rest dry on its own. She went into her bedroom and sat at her little dresser that was in her room. It was the same pink that her shelf and desk were, which matched the curtains and the bed. The bed and curtains were blue with pink and purple butterflies.

Dani picked up her eyeliner crayon and outlined her eyes in a thin black line, then she put on mascara. She picked up her eyeliner crayon again and drew a small butterfly beside her left eye. Looking straight at her the butterfly was to the right of her eye, and slightly below it. She looked at herself in the mirror, she was wearing a white and black striped tee, which had black mesh sleeves, and a black jagged-edged skirt that went to her knees.

Dani walked out of her room as the phone rang. She walked back to the phone that was on her desk and answered it. It was Adam.

“Hi,” Dani said into the phone. Sara appeared in Dani’s bedroom doorway and Dani mouthed that it was Adam.

“Guess what?!” Adam asked, sounded overly excited.

“What?” Dani asked, even more excited.

“After lots of begging and pleading and debating, I got my Mom to enroll me to Butterfield Academy!” Adam said extremely quickly into the phone.

Butterfield Academy was the school that Dani was going to in September, she had thought that it would separate Adam and her since they’d be going to different schools, she was officially wrong. They would both be starting grade 9. Dani had skipped grade 4, and Adam was a year older than her.

“I can’t believe it!” Dani almost screamed into the phone, completely forgetting that Grissom was in the next room, sleeping. Sara appeared in Dani’s doorway again.

“Dani, Grissom’s sleeping,” Sara whispered.

“Hold on, I’m going to tell Sara,” Dani said quietly and turned to Sara. “Adam’s going to Butterfield Academy!” Sara smiled, those two can manage anything.

“That’s great!” Sara said, then left the room as Dani went back to talking with Adam.

After about a half an hour, Dani hung up the phone and left her bedroom. She curled up into a small but comfy chair in the corner of the apartment that was the living room. She stared out at the city of Las Vegas. The sun was shining on her face, making her green eyes almost look like they were glowing to Sara, who watched Dani from the kitchen.

Dani stared out, what she could see from the apartment window always amazed her. She loved heights, she liked being at high levels. She loved looking over the world. It gave her some sort of relief that she had some power over everything. In her life, everything had either been decided by someone else, or caused by someone else.

Sara was standing in the kitchen, wiping a counter, she had stopped cleaning when Dani came out of her bedroom to see what she would do, to watch her, to analyze her. Sara wasn’t surprised at the fact that Dani seemed to almost always be insecure, and the little girl hid it very well, the only reason that Sara could see it was because she had looked in the mirror at it every day.

Without moving a muscle, Dani asked Sara, “Could you stop watching me, please?”

Sara quickly turned around and faced the fridge. She turned back around slowly to see Dani staring at her. Sara sighed, “Sorry, I didn’t know you knew I was looking at you.”

Dani gave out a little laugh at the seemingly obvious confusion of the sentence. She returned to her position of staring out the window.

“Any plans today?” Sara asked after a few minutes of complete silence.

Dani shrugged. “I don’t know, I’ll probably do something with Adam,” she answered.

Sara smirked. “Who else would you hang out with,” she said. Dani laughed. Adam was pretty much Dani’s only friend. They hung out with each other almost every day. Neither of them ever hung out with anyone else their age, and Dani liked it that way.

5. MacsGirlMel

more soon!

6. Mini_Catherine

Mini_Catherine CSI Level One

: ) I like the desriptions there, about the sun and the heights. Very nice.

7. saraXsullivan

Wow. I haven't updated in over a month. Okay. Here it is:

Chapter Three ;
    No One Closer

A knock at the door made Dani jump out of her daydream. She turned her head and Sara was no longer in the room. She was in a different chair now, the one across from the one she was in earlier, because she got up to answer the phone. It was probably Adam at the door, so Dani decided to get up. She moved towards the door, and yawned. She was really tired.

Dani got to the door and went on her tip-toes to see through the peephole. She saw Adam’s skinny and normal-height figure. She also saw his brown hair that wasn’t too long, but wasn’t really short either. Dani opened the door and Adam walked in, kicked off his shoes, and sat down on the couch with Dani after she closed the door.

Dani picked up the remote to the TV and turned it on, some soap opera was on that Dani had seen maybe two episodes of. Her and Adam liked watching one episode of one, and then making up their own storylines as to what happened or what might happen.

In the soap opera they were watching, some woman was claiming that some guy was the father of her unborn child. They were in a courtroom, and the woman was screaming accusations to the man and the judge couldn’t control them.

“The lawyer is the father,” Adam suggested.

“No, it was the lawyer last time, this time it’s the judge,” Dani corrected. They watched for a while and eventually some random guy came bursting into the courtroom yelling that he was the father.

“Who is that guy?” Dani asked.

“The lawyer’s brother,” Adam answered. Dani turned and looked at him, holding back a smile. She turned back to the TV and found out it was the woman’s first child’s father. The soap opera ended, and the credits of the show started.

“I didn’t expect that one,” Dani concluded.

“Because it was too obvious that it obviously wouldn’t be obvious on a soap opera, so the people who wrote the soap opera decided to be smart for once and make the ending the not so obvious ending because it would be too obvious to be obvious,” Adam explained.

“Want to know what’s scary?” Dani asked and turned to him.

“What?”

“I understood that,” Dani said and laughed.

After a few minutes of channel surfing, then giving up because there was absolutely nothing interesting to watch, Dani turned off the TV and turned to Adam.

“What do you want to do?” She asked him.

He shrugged, “Walk?”

Sara walked in the room and Dani got up and walked over to her, and Adam followed.

“Sar, we’re going for a walk, okay?” Dani half asked and told her.

“Sure, it’s nice outside,” Sara said and smiled.

Dani and Adam put on their shoes and walked out of the apartment. They walked down a small set of stairs, then another set on the opposite side of the hallway. They walked down another six sets of the small staircases then opened the glass door and were finally outside the apartment building.

They started walking the opposite direction of the busier streets in Vegas. Dani usually stuck to the side streets, because the more busy ones scared her. They walked for a while until they were about to pass by a park.

“Want to go swing on the swings?” Dani asked.

“Sure,” Adam answered, then he started running into the park. Dani chased him, down the ditch and then back up the other side and into the playground.

8. MacsGirlMel

Nice :) I like the sorta semi-fluff :)

9. saraXsullivan

I found out that I'm making this fic Dani/Adam so far. Well, I want to change that so I'm putting in more Grissom/Sara and case file stuff.

And more drama.

Cause I'm drama-obsessed.

:)

10. MacsGirlMel

lol

I'm ready *looks at pitchfork, rocketlauncher and assorted sharp objects* *grins evilly*

More soon :)

11. saraXsullivan

Chapter Four ;
    Behind Closed Doors

At the apartment, Sara was flipping through a case file at the kitchen table. She read over notes about a murder of a nine-year old girl. She heard movement coming from her bedroom. Grissom’s figure appeared in the hallway, and then came across the space between the kitchen and the area considered as a living room to where Sara was sitting. He put a hand on her back, and a hand on the table and leaned over her shoulder.

Sara looked up briefly and smiled at him, then looked back down at the file. She turned the page and a picture of the nine-year old girl in the morgue revealed itself.

“We haven’t caught him yet,” Grissom finally said, with a slight trace of disappointment in his voice.

Sara sighed, “I know.”

Grissom put his arms around her, he could hear it in Sara’s voice that this case was killing her. It was a tough one, this little girl was taken to an open field where she was beaten for six hours before she was strangled. Her arms and legs were tied up, and she was helpless. The CSI’s had figured out that their killer advertises himself as a babysitter, then when the parents leave, he takes the child to a different location and thinks up ways to torture them before he kills them.

The CSI’s confirmed that he was officially a serial killer two days ago, when they found that the DNA in the semen found in another child to match a hair they found on this girl.

“Can you imagine what the parents feel like?” Sara asked. “They thought they could trust him, they let him into their home, they left him alone with their child.” Sara paused. “Then he took their trust and tortured the child through her cries, then kills her in ways so that the child feels the life being forced out of them.” Both victims, both children, had been young girls, younger than ten-years old.

Grissom’s arms were still around Sara. “I know, I know,” he said soothingly. He knew that Sara hated cases that had to do with betraying trust.

Grissom pulled away and looked at her face. She had tears in her eyes, which she was now wiping away. Grissom took her hand in his.

“We’ll catch him, we’ll get him,” He assured her.

Sara looked at him and nodded, then let out a little smile. She sighed, “Dani’s home alone tonight, we both have shift,” she said with hurt in her eyes.

Grissom opened his mouth slightly, his eyes moved back and forth, thinking of something to do. Neither of them felt safe leaving Dani home alone while this guy was out there, but they didn’t want to call a babysitter because of the worry they would have while at work.

“We could invite Adam to stay over, I’m sure that both of them here would be safe,” Grissom suggested.

Sara smiled, then pursed her lips. She had a certain look in her eyes.

Grissom let out a dry laugh. “They’re friends,” he said.

“Sure, but I see the way they look at each other,” Sara said. “There’s something there, and I think Dani has thought about it, a lot. I think she knows that she likes him as more than a friend, but she doesn’t want to ruin their friendship because they are so comfortable around each other. If they date, then go back to being friends, everything would be awkward,” She explained.

“You just proved my point,” Grissom said with a smile.

Sara opened her mouth to argue, then figured out that she did. They might have feelings for each other as more than friends, but they were only friends.

“Do you see the way Adam looks at her?” Grissom asked.

“Yes! And he begged his Mom to allow him to go to Butterfield Academy!” Sara paused, “It’s cute.”

Grissom let out another dry laugh, “It is.”

Sara looked back down at the case file, then closed it. She didn’t want to think about the case right now. There was a small moment of silence.

“Everyone’s on shift tonight,” Grissom told her, “We’ll get him.” He had noticed the look on Sara’s face when she had closed the file. Sara looked up at him and nodded, it assured her, somewhat.

12. Steve_Jobs

Steve_Jobs Police Officer

*Drama queen Sara!* :p
    Great story, love it :p keep writing, or I'll help MacsGirlMel

13. MacsGirlMel

LOL...You're welcome to :) *Still kinda has a bad feeling about what's coming* more soon!

14. saraXsullivan

Chapter Five ;
    Protect Her, Protect Me

Dani was sitting at the top of the jungle gym, the very top, she was sitting on the bars above one of the slides, the ones you probably aren’t supposed to sit on. Adam was sitting on the plastic part that went around the opening of the slide, which was beside Dani. Then Dani’s cell phone started ringing.

She got the phone out of her pocket and looked at the Caller ID, ‘Home.’ “Hello,” she answered.

“Hi,” Sara’s voice came through the phone, she paused because she knew the question wasn’t one people usually asked. “Do you think Adam could sleep over at our apartment tonight?”

Dani scrunched up her face, “…Why?”

“Well,” Sara started then paused, she didn’t want to worry Dani. She wasn’t sure what to say, or how to explain it. Adam had never slept over before, for the obvious reason that he was a boy and Dani was a girl. “I just have a case, and I’d feel safer if Adam stayed over.”

Dani giggled, “You trust us?”

This made Sara laugh, she pursed her lips, which Grissom saw. “Is there a reason I shouldn’t?”

“No, I was just joking,” Dani said, more serious now so Sara would believe her.

“I know, I know,” Sara said and smiled.

“I’ll let him call his mom and then call you back,” Dani decided.

“Okay, where are you?” Sara asked.

“Just at the park.”

Shivers went down Sara’s spine. She had had countless cases where kids were kidnapped from parks, then raped, then murdered. She let out a sigh of relief as she remembered Adam was there with her. Usually kidnappers targeted kids who were alone.

“Sara? Hello?” Dani said into the phone. Sara snapped out of her little daydream of wandering thoughts.

She heard Adam’s voice in the background, “Did you get cut off?”

Dani turned to him and shrugged.

“Sorry, I was just thinking,” Sara finally said.

“Okay, well, Adam’s going to call his mom, and then I’ll call back,” Dani said.

“Okay, bye,” Sara said and hung up. Dani did the same and passed her cell phone to Adam. He looked down at it, and then looked up at her.

“Ask if you can sleep over at my apartment,” Dani said simply. Adam raised an eyebrow. “Sara’s worried, case-related.” Dani didn’t need to explain further, after being best friends with her and knowing Grissom and Sara, Adam knew that some cases got to them.

“Well, this will be fun to explain to my parents,” Adam commented and dialed his phone number. After explaining everything to his mom, and then assuring her more than twice that Dani and him were just friends, his mom finally gave in. He gave the phone back to Dani, who placed it back into her pocket.

There was a silence, and Adam let out a laugh. Dani turned around and looked at him. He smirked. “They kept making dirty jokes,” He said and smiled. Dani rolled her eyes and leaned back and put her head on his shoulder.

Adam looked down at her, and for a brief moment, thought about their friendship. He thought about his feelings, he thought about her feelings. He pondered the thought of the two of them becoming more than friends, and for some reason, became scared of the idea.

It wasn’t that he didn’t want to, but it wasn’t because he wanted to either. It was just that becoming too close left nothing to fall back on. That was what scared him. Of course, it would also make their friendship awkward, which also made him scared.

Adam wasn’t supposed to be the scared one, he was supposed to be the one protecting Dani from everything she was scared of. He had done it many times before. A lot of times, when they went to the movies, Adam would have to put his arm around her so that she didn’t get too scared when they were watching a horror movie. The gestures they did, such as putting their arms around each other, hugging, or even resting their head on the other’s shoulder, was common and didn’t make things awkward. They were just that good of friends, that they knew it was so they both felt safe, that they both felt protected, mainly Dani.

Dani was staring up at him, wondering what was going through his mind, what he was seeing in his eyes. She sighed, then when Adam came back to reality, he stared down at her.

With them both staring at each other, if this was a romance movie, you’d think that they were about to kiss, but they weren’t. They were just staring into each other’s eyes, probably reading each other’s minds, actually.

Dani sat back up, and got her phone out of her pocket, remembering that she had to call Sara back. Adam stared into the distance, mostly across the park, still thinking about his thoughts earlier. Dani opened the phone, then looked back at Adam briefly, and found him to be lost in thought. She didn’t bother to ask, and turned back to the phone and called Sara.

“Hello,” Sara answered.

“Hi, it’s me, Adam can sleep over,” Dani informed her.

“Okay, but he’s sleeping on the couch,” Sara said.

“Aww, but if I get scared, can he sleep in my bed with me?” Dani asked and made her voice saddened and pretended to pout. This made Adam laugh hysterically. Dani listened as Sara laughed on the other line. “I’m joking.”

“I know. Okay, talk to you later,” Sara said, concluding the conversation and hung up the phone. Dani closed the phone and put it back in her pocket. She turned to Adam, who was staring out into nothing again. She sighed.

“What’s wrong?” She asked him. He turned his head towards her, then looked away. They were best friends, the kind that could tell each other almost anything, but Adam didn’t want to say his thoughts out loud, because the whole point on contemplating them would have no point at all if he told her. Since, that was what he had been contemplating in the first place.

“Nothing,” Adam answered and sighed.

Dani tilted her head. “I know when something’s wrong, Adam, I’m not dumb, and I’m not some random person that has never talked to you before,” She said and laughed.

Adam smiled, “Sorry, I forgot.”

Dani’s mouth gaped open. She play punched him. They jumped down from the top of the slide and started walking back home. On the way, Adam put his arm around Dani, and the thoughts about his feelings still wandered his mind.

15. MacsGirlMel

Please post more soon! I can't shake the feeling angst is coming but I'm not sure lol