The 'Door Is Always Open' For Petersen's Return

CSI Files

Captain
In this week’s episode of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, Sara Sidle (Jorja Fox) will reveal the last time she saw her husband, Gil Grissom (William Petersen). (Spoilers after the jump!)In “Coup de Grace”, it will be revealed that Sara “just got back from visiting Grissom in Paris,” executive producer Carol Mendelsohn said. However, fans should [...]

More...

hopefully the door will open soon
or they are just planning a surprise visit:thumbsup:
but my money says we'll see grissom at the end of the season or when sara leaves again

Meh. Just goes to show that the concept of "Some women just can't be anything without a man" is still alive and well.

If someone would please blow that ship out of the water, I'd be a very happy man.

I'm glad we are getting some explanation as to where Sara was last week. And, of course, I love to hear that she is spending time with her hubby.
I, too, hope Petersen pops in for a visit soon. It was implied that his teaching job in Paris is temporary. And we don't yet know where or what his research will be. Hopefully, it will be closer to Las Vegas.
I wonder where Bruno is. My guess is he is in Paris keeping Grissom company. :)

^ ditto. love the Sara we have back and i'm glad to get some exaplanation on how the Grissoms are making it.

Meh. Just goes to show that the concept of "Some women just can't be anything without a man" is still alive and well.
i think Sara is the last person that should be accussed of being dependent on a man. the fact that she always makes decisions for herself about where to go and what to do speaks for itself. there is nothing wrong in being happily married and mentioning in one sentence that she flew to Paris for a week. it just gives us some answers.

i think you are the only guy i ever heard imply that when a woman cares and thinks about her husband it's a sign of weakness. i always hear guys don't like cold women. i think Sara manages to be independent, as she proves over and over, but also respects and loves Grissom. and it's ok to update her and his friends on how the two of them are doing.

^^^
It's not that, or the fact that Sara is dependent on Grissom for everything or anything. It's just the idea that IMO, in the writers' minds that Grissom and Sara are irrevocably stapled together. Yes, we get it that they're married. Will we have to suffer through a reference to that every single fucking time that she's on the show? It gets old.

Also, it just seems odd to me that until her exit arc, that once Sara hooked up with Grissom, all of her problems seemed to magically vanish. Also, I don't think during the seventh season she worked by herself or without Grissom hardly AT ALL. There were a couple of instances early in the season, such as BTK when she went and processed the hotel room where Catherine was, and when she and Warrick were there late, and Grissom brought her a veggie burger, but that's all I can think of.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like Sara's character, because she brings a lot to the show in so many ways, but the whole GSR love fest gets old. It's really taken away from so many of the cool character moments that were there in Season 5 and before. That's why it's nice to see her working with Greg and Nick again, as well as it being nice to see her bond with Ray, as much grief as people give about him taking over the show.

That's why I made the comment about some women not being able to do anything without a man, because apparently, that's how the writers on CSI look at things.

So I say again, Can someone please blow this ship out of the water?

^^^
It's not that, or the fact that Sara is dependent on Grissom for everything or anything. It's just the idea that IMO, in the writers' minds that Grissom and Sara are irrevocably stapled together.
It's not just in the writers' minds. Like it or not, it's in many fans' minds, too. That's just the way it is, and so they're just responding to the questions they know will arise from at least a certain segment of the fan base. Personally, I think you're making more out of this than it merits, but it's your opinion, and of course you're entitled. I just think it's more a matter of "market demand" than sociology, but that's just me.

^^^
It's not that, or the fact that Sara is dependent on Grissom for everything or anything. It's just the idea that IMO, in the writers' minds that Grissom and Sara are irrevocably stapled together.
It's not just in the writers' minds. Like it or not, it's in many fans' minds, too. That's just the way it is, and so they're just responding to the questions they know will arise from at least a certain segment of the fan base. Personally, I think you're making more out of this than it merits, but it's your opinion, and of course you're entitled. I just think it's more a matter of "market demand" than sociology, but that's just me.
Well said! And I totally agree.
Obviously, the writers had planned to have them marry, since the proposal was in season 8 just before Sara left. It provided a connection for Sara fans through Grissom while she was gone. Now that Sara is back, the marriage provides a similar connection to Grissom through Sara for his fans. It's like a 2-for-1 deal.
The writers/producers made a conscious decision at the end of season 6 to get them together. They held off for 6 years because they knew this very thing would happen; Grissom and Sara are forever linked, in my opinion. as well as in the eyes of many viewers. That scene in Costa Rica was pretty definitive.

Last edited:
To me they are independent, of one another and do their own thing and always have. She's happy and healthy and he as well. She came back for a simple reason they needed her. He's lecturing and doing his thing as always, and their connected together, via marriage, but still do things apart. They're not your conventional couple, and never have been that's what I admire about them:bolian: I feel that he will as well return sometime in the future~

Well, the fact of the matter remains that there are very few people who are ambivalent about GSR on any level. Most either love it or hate it. A lot of people feel that it ruined the show and at the very least hindered others' character development. Like what about Warrick's relationship with Tina. How did that implode, exactly, Catherine's situation with Sam Braun. We know he got killed, but that's one more thing that got sucked into the Black Hole of Continuity, never to be heard from again. What about Greg's issues stemming from his attack and having to kill Demetrius James? Those are all things I would have loved to have known about much more than Grissom's views on religion and that he didn't upset Sara (darling). But now we'll never know.

I was fine with Jorja's exit arc and how that resolved, as well as Petersen's exit arc, save for that last kiss in the jungle. That just felt like overkill to me.

That's why this whole reliance on the GSR still, almost two whole years after it should have been gone irks me, especially when there's a whole new set of challenges facing both the show and the characters on it, in particular whether or not Catherine can be an effective leader/supervisor. It didn't work out so well in Season 5 with everyting that happened, and I think she lost something of herself, a bit of her warmth and humanity that she was struggling to get back in Seasons 8 and 9.

I find it really interesting that whenever someone analyzes GSR in a negative light they're "making more of it than it merits," but when people analyze GSR in a positive light and go on and on about any minute thing that happened in relation to them it's perfectly fine. If it's fine for one side it's fine for the other and if it's "making more of it than it merits" for one side then it's at least equal to that for the other side.

I find it really interesting that whenever someone analyzes GSR in a negative light they're "making more of it than it merits," but when people analyze GSR in a positive light and go on and on about any minute thing that happened in relation to them it's perfectly fine..
Not sure where you're getting this "whenever" impression, but certainly in my case, not everything that has something to do with GSR is perfectly fine. I do think -- and of course this is just my opinion -- that piling on of all this responsibility for how women's relationships are characterized with men onto the Sara/Grissom relationship is making more of it than it merits.

The other poster seems to be insisting that the only possible reason the powers that be could feel compelled to update us on Petersen's status is because we poor women aren't given worth beyond our relationship with men. All I'm saying is that I think there's a lot less to it than that. I think it's simply a case of market demand, and if fans are wanting to know the status of Sara/Jorja, then they're naturally going to want to know the status of Grissom/Petersen because of the GSR linkage. It's a natural question because of the relationship established between them, and also because frankly, Petersen was the star of the show for so long.

It's not that I think that about women, because I don't. Sometimes, I think that the Producers on all three shows think that way, or at the very least have a really messed up view on relationships. I think they perpetuate stereotypes about women and relationships in general, Like Sara's relationship with Grissom. However, that's all just my opinion, YMMV

How many rotten men has Catherine gotten involved with? There was Eddie, the club owner Chris Bezich, and Adam Novak that we know of.

Then, there was Sara, who hooked up with Hank the Skank, all while spending years pining for Grissom. Then, when she shacked up with him, all of her problems seemed to magically disappear.

Then there's Nick hooking up with Kristy Hopkins, Warricks marriage to Tina, etc.

The other shows haven't been much better. Stella on New York has had just as many psychotic stalker men as Catherine has. There's also the debacle that's been the Danny and Lindsay relationship. Don't even get me started on Mac's relationship with Peyton, who worked so hard to draw him out of his shell only to dump him via Dear John letter.

I don't watch Miami, so I can't really comment on that show's relationships, but it seems like any time Horatio has sex with a woman, she dies.

Really, the most well portrayed relationship on any of the shows was Stella and Adam's one night stand.

I wonder why that is.

Also, it seems whenever someone says anything remotely critical of GSR or Sara in general, people get really, really up in arms about it, and that gets old quickly.

I've never really been one way or the other about GSR, I just get tired of it taking over the show, especially when there are so many other interesting stories that could be front and center.

It's not that I think that about women, because I don't. Sometimes, I think that the Producers on all three shows think that way, or at the very least have a really messed up view on relationships.
For better or worse, I think that's Hollywood in general, not the producers on these shows specifically. I'd be hard-pressed to come up with any normal, healthy relationship on TV today. When you think about it, they are the exception, not the rule. That's because, for better or worse, writers are taught that "normal" is boring, and that what people are looking for in entertainment is dramatic tension and conflict. So, even relationships that start out remotely "normal" have a way of going sideways eventually, because the writers run out of original ideas and start turning to the more conventional characterizations that populate most of fiction. It's nothing new; it's been going on forever, and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Back