The Departed

Has anyone else seen this yet? I'm a HUGE fan of INFERNAL AFFAIRS, the HK film on which this is based, but I have to say that THE DEPARTED absolutely blew me away in a way that no film has since FIGHT CLUB. Absolutely outstanding.

(please delete if a similar gushing thread has already been posted)

I was at Wal-Mart debating to buy it or not, but my friend bought it so I'll get it from him in the next few days. I'm looking forward to seeing it, I've heard nothing but good things.

Calihan said:
Bring up to continue discussing this masterful flick.

Thank's Calihan

In todays PARADE there's a Q & A about this
Q..Martin Scorese is my favorite film director. Can it be true that he's never won an Oscar?
A..Yes, although he has recieved six nominations for Best Director.. "Raging Bull".. "The Last Temptation of Christ".. "GoodFellas", "Gangs of New York", "The Avaitor" (fantastic) and now "The Departed", as well as two for Best Adapted Screenplay (GoodFellas and The Age of Innocence} His three stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon and Jack Nicholson..were overlooked for their work in "The Departed", but Scorsese , 64, is a sentimental favorite to win!!

I saw it tonight, and honestly I didn't like it as much as I hoped too. They had a couple bad actors in it, DiCaprio and the girl were in and out of their accent the whole movie, and I wasn't really keen on the ending. I'm not saying it was bad but not as good as I expected.

I love Internal Affairs to pieces and I wasn't amused by The Departed at all. The Chinese title of Internal Affairs, Wu Jian Dao, means an endless samsara and it has very much to do with the ending of the movie. The bad cop didn't die at the end because he had to suffer the consequences his actions had caused and the guilt for the rest of his life. However, they had him die in The Departed and that kind of ruined it for me. I know his death is probably seen as justice by American viewers, but IMO having him suffer is a much better vengeance...or karma. Personally, I think the ending of The Departed lost the message the original movie tried to send.

Leo was really great in the movie, though. :)

Well it wasn't that he would suffer, but if he hadn't had died he would have gotten away scot free, that is why I was a little happy that he died.

Hehe I guess that reflects part of the difference between eastern and western philosophies and the ways eastern and western people view things (I'm from Taiwan). :)

The Departed will be followed up by a prequel and a sequel.

I personally loved it, but the excessive foul language bothered me a bit. But I guess that made the movie. :p

^That's HQ btw. :)

vegaslights said:
The Departed will be followed up by a prequel and a sequel.

You can't be serious. I don't understand how those movies will be any different from this one

vegaslights said:

I personally loved it, but the excessive foul language bothered me a bit. But I guess that made the movie. :p

About the language I think it kept the movie honest, people do talk lie that so it was right to use that language. I'm sure some are going to disagree and be offendid by it but they kept it real which more than I can say for a lot of other movies.

Back