Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by midnight_tiptoes, Sep 19, 2006.

1. midnight_tiptoes

midnight_tiptoes Head of the Day Shift

Did anybody watch the pilot tonight? I'm a huge Sorkin fan, huge! The guy is a genius, probably the best writer around. I missed him so much.

Welcome back, Sorkin!

Really great, witty, fast-paced dialogue. I felt like I was watching The West Wing during the Sorkinese years. Of course, all the WW actors kept throwing me off a bit, but I think all the actors kinda found their footing pretty quickly. I have way too much love for Bradley Whitford, WAY too much. The guy can do so much with a single look. And I didn't see one iota of Josh in Danny. Amazing.

Matthew Perry really, really surprised me. Not once did I think of Chandler Bing while I was watching him. I'm really drawn to his relationship with Danny. I think that might be the best part.

Anything that starts with Judd Hirsch ranting and raving has the potential to become amazing television. The way his ranting cut into the opening credits left me speechless. That was amazingly clever. All the supporting players are great, as well. I got way to excited when I saw Timothy Busfield.

The only actor I'm still not happy about is Amanda Peet. Her acting is very weak, and she doesn't seem very familiar with the Sorkin dialogue. Hopefully she'll be able to get into it quickly, otherwise the show might suffer.

Best line of the night, when Danny was telling Matt he fell off the wagon--

Danny: I had eleven years, now I have eight days.

God, that gave me chills. Amazing, and so well delivered.

The best part of the episode, however, was seeing this:

Written by: Aaron Sorkin
    Directed by: Tommy Schlamme

*tear* Oh, God, I missed them.

2. messinwithmesser

messinwithmesser Lab Technician

i'll have to check it out...

3. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Yeah, I watched it and I'm definitely interested in seeing some more. :) I too love Bradley, and Matty boy was amazing. I have a feeling I'm going to be really loving his character.
    I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the idea of a Christian, singing ex-girlfriend, but the fact that it's stumping me is a good thing- it's definitely an odd background for a character and I'm keen to see where they take her. Bizarre, but me likey!

Overall, I'm with you; very glad to see Sorkin back behind the wheel of a show. The man is a writing genius. :)

4. midnight_tiptoes

Apparently, the character of Harriet Hayes is based on Kristen Chenoweth, who Aaron dated for a while.

I think it'll be really intriguing to see where they take her. I have lots of faith in Sorkin, so I'm not worried about him turning her into one giant Christian stereotype.

5. ShuriyuCSI

ShuriyuCSI Judge

... :lol: I watched it.. It was a great opener. I thought it seemed like a good show, so I think I'll watch it.

6. midnight_tiptoes

I can't wait to see how it did in the ratings. I kinda want it to beat Miami.

7. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I was kind of curious about it, but I had to watch Miami. :lol: I am really dying to see how the ratings showdown turns out though!

8. Comte

Comte Police Officer

Sighs...I really wanna watch this show...
    I'm living halfway across the globe though...
    I have no idea when this show will find its way to Singapore...

9. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

I haven't watched it yet but it sounds very interesting.
    I have a question for those who already watched it,can you look at Matthew Perry and not see Chandler Bing and see Bradley Whitford and not think about Josh Lyman?

10. RBC

RBC Coroner

It's pretty hard. I think you can do it best with Matthew, since the characters of Matt and Chandler are pretty different, but it's very hard with Bradly. The characters of Josh and Danny are a lot alike.
    Great show! This is a perfect replacement for The West Wing. Although I think it will never reach the level of Th West Wing.

11. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

When you watch West Wing, which I haven't (Sorry, Emily dear), did Alan Alda remind you of Hawkeye Pierce or Jimmy Smits of Bobby Simone? I think it is different from one actor to another how well they can change facial expresions or voice characteristics.

12. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

^^I asked it because they're very recent shows,but of course I think they're great actors and could play different characters and be convincing.

In Alan Alda's case there were 30 years between Hawkeye Pierce and Arnold Vinick and I think 10 years between Bobby Simone and Matt Santos.

13. softballgirl22

softballgirl22 Witness

watched Studio 60 and wow. i had no doubt it would be good seeing as I'm a huge West Wing fan. I'm sad to say that I have veered off the Miami track and have gone to NBC for my Monday night entertainment... though i did catch a few glimpses while S60 was on commercial. went right back to S60.

I think Chandler and Matt were played somewhat differently by Matt Perry but there are similarities between them.

With Josh and Danny played by Brad... I don't think I haven't gotten over the West Wing ending yet and I saw lots of similarities. that might just be though because of Sorkin's writing.

14. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

I had no trouble seeing these guys as new characters. They definitely have the skills already to sell me on their new roles. I'm sure the strength of the writing helps as well. Aaron Sorkin's writing is always so fresh. :)

15. midnight_tiptoes

Me either. Danny is a lot calmer and soft spoken than Josh was. Josh was very introverted - Danny seems to wear his heart on his sleeve. Josh was a ball of energy and fire - Danny, as I said, is very, very calm and seems kinda shy, even. All in all, I think Matt is probably a bit more like Josh than Danny is.