Stella says stupid things

mod053

Civilian
Does anyone else notice that stella always says the most obvious lines, the only thing coming to mind now is when she was at a crime scene standing next to the body, she picked up a gun next to him and said " looks like this could be the murder weapon". In another episode she went into a man apartment where she found floor plans and maps with writing all over it saying enter this way and exit, she then says " This must be where he is going". I mean thank you captain obvious.
Do you think that one or more of the writers have it in for her?

They all get the Captain Obvious moments from time to time - I think Lindsay seems to get a lot of them, but they've all had lines that made me roll my eyes like 'Really? Really?' I'm not sure who gets the most. That would be an interesting thing to count up. :lol:

Stella uses logic and she usually takes mental notes (5.17). And when she does it, she uses the scientific method. Using the scientific method means she has to raise hypothesis in order to prove them.
And raising hypothesis means she has to ask questions even if they seem way too obvious

"Is the sky blue?" just with the only purpose of answering them using scientific explanations!

So NO, Stella doesn't state obvious lines. None of them does if they are looking for answers to their questions when they are doing an investigation

If our people made it on purpose or not it's still a mystery to be solved:lol: but they have done a pretty good job with Stella mou. I don't have complaints just respect and appreciation for what they have done:bolian:

I agree with Fay. All of them, including Stella, are forced to "carry the idiot ball" at times to advance the plot. It really annoys me because it seems like a cheap way to get information across to the audience. Professional writers should be able to do better.

I disagree but that's my problem ;)

Besides cops, they are scientists and they use the scientic method to prove or refute their questions, no matter how simple they seem to be

For example "Does the fire burn?". And the main reason is to convert their hypothesis into theories

I am not exactly fond of Lindsay's demostration scenes but i can't complain about the method she uses to make her point

Stella is okay. At least she's normal. You should hear some of the lines Horatio in Miami delivers.
On the Stella topic, was hoping that a relationship between her and Matt would occur at some stage. Chemistry seems to be right.

I disagree but that's my problem ;)

I don't recall anyone saying disagreeing is a "problem."

Besides cops, they are scientists and they use the scientic method to prove or refute their questions, no matter how simple they seem to be

For example "Does the fire burn?". And the main reason is to convert their hypothesis into theories

I am not exactly fond of Lindsay's demostration scenes but i can't complain about the method she uses to make her point

I'm not talking exclusively about explaining the science or proving their theories. For example, Flack saying "What you're doing is very dangerous," to the guy trying to escape in "It Happened to Me," was "carrying the idiot ball." Stella has said unecessary/stupid lines just as much as anyone else during the life of the series.

well it's part of the human condition saying obvious things. didn't anyone told you "Don't go outside because it's raining"? when you already know it's raining? I don't think Flack words are silly or writers are stupid just for showing some obvious things. Characters should be as human as possible, IMHO, nobody pretends Shakespeare's lines type every 5 minutes. THAT would be a mistake

I'm with everyone else - it's all the characters, not just Stella. I guess it's an attempt not to confuse the viewers - I recall Lindsay one time stating that GSR was Gun shot residue.

And whenever one character says the same of some chemical compound another character says what it is/what it's used for unless Flack is in the scene and asks what it is.

I agree with Fay. All of them, including Stella, are forced to "carry the idiot ball" at times to advance the plot. It really annoys me because it seems like a cheap way to get information across to the audience. Professional writers should be able to do better.

I'm with everyone else - it's all the characters, not just Stella. I guess it's an attempt not to confuse the viewers - I recall Lindsay one time stating that GSR was Gun shot residue.

And whenever one character says the same of some chemical compound another character says what it is/what it's used for unless Flack is in the scene and asks what it is.
Exactly. It's not just that they state the obvious, it's that they also make themselves look idiotic by explaining things in layman's terms that they shouldn't have to tell each other as professional scientists - for the benefit of the audience. I know the show has to explain things to the viewers, but it's frustrating, especially when what they're saying isn't something you have to explain to the audience. To use an example that was already mentioned, you don't have to define GSR every time you say it these days because most people know what it means (especially if they're watching CSI) - otherwise just don't bother to use the abbreviation. It's like when Rachael Ray says 'EVOO' on her show and then turns around and explains what it means almost every time. Why shorten something if you're just going to explain it anyway? Either use the abbreviation and leave it there, or just call it gun shot residue or extra virgin olive oil to begin with. :rolleyes:

Exactly. It's not just that they state the obvious, it's that they also make themselves look idiotic by explaining things in layman's terms that they shouldn't have to tell each other as professional scientists - for the benefit of the audience. I know the show has to explain things to the viewers, but it's frustrating, especially when what they're saying isn't something you have to explain to the audience.

this, basically. it is really infuriating, but y'know, i understand WHY they do it. they have to make allowances for audiences and while i'm sure most audiences aren't actually that stupid, i suppose writers kind of have to assume that at least one or two viewers are that stupid, and therefore cater to them - it pisses the rest of us off but at least they don't get into trouble for being too obtuse!

i certainly don't think it's anything to do with the scientific element - of course scientists by default must hypothesise and then test the theory, but that doesn't have to involve them verbalising the obvious. and as has been said, regular viewers should be able to work some of the sciencey bits out for themselves by now. it's far more about the writing and the fact that they have to cater for audiences that may not have seen the show before or who are new to the terms that they often use etc.

i think my most *ajgo;rjgo;aerhgio;hjhoihlhngrn;lagrklna;fgghaghan;* rage inducing captain obvious moment was one from mac (and it pains me to say it because i :heart: mac!) - in yahrzeit, when he, in the middle of an interrogation, took time out from his sentence to explain what the hitler youth was. to a bloody nazi! ARGH!!! i love yahrzeit but i actually have to fast forward that bit or risk seriously damaging my tv.:lol:

I have to admit that pointless explanations for the audience's sake are where I usually give shows a lot of slack. I mean, it is unrealistic when people who've been on the job as long as the team would have to bother spelling out the obvious like that, and it's a little frustrating when you just know this or that line was there for any newbies in the audience. But on the flip side, I know that as a newbie, there's nothing that turns you off a new show like not knowing what anyone's talking about, because the characters are speaking on a level you don't get (when House first came out, this was definitely me).

Despite the popular trend of crime dramas, it's surprising how many people have never actually watched one (at least, not while paying attention), and so don't come to the fast conclusion that the gun left at the scene is the murder weapon. In earlier seasons, the characters on Original CSI, and even Miami and NY, were always given random lines or conversations that were just there to explain what GSR was or what Luminol did or whatever -- and while I get time constraints and stuff recently, I do think it kind of sucks that they've lost that element. Some of those lines/exchanges were fun, as far as conversations-that-arise-at-work go.

Not to say that NY doesn't have its share of way-too-pointless lines imo; to me the ones that are especially "Ya think?" are when someone asks a question, and another team member says something like "that's the question we have to answer" -- well, duh, and I think even a newbie is supposed to get that without the lead-in (going from the Sherlock-Holmes nature of the shows). But I think all of the characters have had that kind of line more than a few times.

I don't think it's stupid to say obvious things, especially when it's not really obvious. I mean, saying that something might be the murder weapon doesn't always mean it is. They need to test it. It's not in every episode or scene that they say anything every time they bag an evidence so it's okay for me.

What annoys me at times is when they act super genius especially Mac! :lol: They know the generic name for every medicine, plants, chemicals etc... Well sometimes, they just read from the tablet but sometimes, I can't see them handling the tablet and say the out-of-this world names! :wtf: But I forgive them many times especially when chemical or the thing in question is common in their job.

I have to admit that pointless explanations for the audience's sake are where I usually give shows a lot of slack. I mean, it is unrealistic when people who've been on the job as long as the team would have to bother spelling out the obvious like that, and it's a little frustrating when you just know this or that line was there for any newbies in the audience. But on the flip side, I know that as a newbie, there's nothing that turns you off a new show like not knowing what anyone's talking about, because the characters are speaking on a level you don't get (when House first came out, this was definitely me).

yep, i agree - it can get frustrating if you're a regular viewer, but you have to accept that not everyone is, some people may not have heard these terms before.

In earlier seasons, the characters on Original CSI, and even Miami and NY, were always given random lines or conversations that were just there to explain what GSR was or what Luminol did or whatever -- and while I get time constraints and stuff recently, I do think it kind of sucks that they've lost that element. Some of those lines/exchanges were fun, as far as conversations-that-arise-at-work go.

yeah i remember that too, it was good. it's odd that (speaking for NY, i can't speak for the others so much) moving from 2 cases to 1 case per episode has apparently left them *less* time for the work-related conversations. oh yeah, that might be because they've allowed more time for personal life mallet moments instead ;)

Not to say that NY doesn't have its share of way-too-pointless lines imo; to me the ones that are especially "Ya think?" are when someone asks a question, and another team member says something like "that's the question we have to answer" -- well, duh

haha, yeah, for sure. horatio's always been the worst culprit (although maybe those shades just make it seem worse) but mac has had a LOT more of those lines this season. the others have too but his are usually the ones that lead in to the credits, so it's more noticeable. mac, STOP with the cheese already!

I don't think it's stupid to say obvious things, especially when it's not really obvious. I mean, saying that something might be the murder weapon doesn't always mean it is. They need to test it. It's not in every episode or scene that they say anything every time they bag an evidence so it's okay for me.

this is true - sometimes the "obvious" murder weapon is a decoy, so it's wrong to jump to conclusions. on the other hand, i dunno, picking up a gun near a shot body and saying "this might be the weapon" - regardless of whether it turns out to be or not - seems a little obvious. i mean, if they picked up, say, a block of cheese and said "this might be the weapon" that would be a whole lot less obvious. but a gun, near a shot body, yeah that's kind of blatant, even if it's a decoy, you'd assume they'd pick up on that being there at some point.

What annoys me at times is when they act super genius especially Mac! :lol: They know the generic name for every medicine, plants, chemicals etc... Well sometimes, they just read from the tablet but sometimes, I can't see them handling the tablet and say the out-of-this world names! :wtf: But I forgive them many times especially when chemical or the thing in question is common in their job.

haha yeah that's great - i remember aj saying in an interview that he's dyslexic (i think...) so learning those lines was always a nightmare. i gues a lot of the time (in the lab-rat sense, not the actor sense) that kind of info would just pop up on a screen, so i guess they can be let off that, but then they do always seem to know an awful lot about some of these things with no prompts at all. and yes, mac especially. whenever he does that i like to think that he was just really really good at latin and stuff - there are scientists out there who really do know all this stuff (i've met some, mostly they're insufferable, unlike mac, of course)

I am with you... to a point.

I know the writers must be sure every viewer is on the same page but it does seem like poor Stella gets those more than the rest. And this is no slight to the actors or the characters! It's just sometimes so... obvious. lol! Not stupid just obvious.

Or we are all smarter than the average joe! :)

Back