Stars Getting Divorced

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Destiny, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

"USA Today"
    Valerie Bertinelli and her rock star husband, Eddie Van Halen, are divorcing after 24 years of marriage, Bertinelli's publicist confirmed Tuesday.
    "Yes, that's true. They have been separated for four years and it's amicable," Bertinelli spokeswoman Heidi Schaeffer told The Associated Press. She said the actress would have no further comment.
    A divorce petition that Bertinelli, 45, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court on Monday cited irreconcilable differences.

USA Today
    Actress Christina Applegate and husband Johnathon Schaech are calling it quits after four years of marriage.
    The couple filed for divorce in Los Angeles Superior Court. Schaech is also an actor. Their publicists, Ame Van Iden and Chuck James, confirmed the split Monday. "The decision is mutual," they said in a joint statement without further comment.

2. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i think a lot of celebrity couples marry for publicity, and then they cant deal with it. there are so many marriages in hollywood that dont even last a year, its kind of sad. especially the ones that dont last it through the week.
    as for the long term marriages that end, its sad, but it happens. but good for them for getting that far, its not that common in hollywood or even outside it for that matter.
    so double woo-hoos for those that are able to stick it out til the end!

3. allstar12

allstar12 CSI Level Three

You forgot Jessica Simpson & Nick Lachey ;)

I've noticed a lot of stars are divorcing, it's kinda sad. But I guess it's their choice if they're not happy anymore. I was shocked when Brad & Jen split up, it was on the cover of the newspapers in my area, LOL.

4. SaraSidleStokes

SaraSidleStokes Captain

see thats sort of why I stay away from it all HOW can you be happy when you're in the limelight and scrutinized all the time
    then Half the time they put certain celebs together and it turns out to be just a rumor
    My Personal opinion just leave Hollywood alone

5. Palm

Palm Coroner

What I thought was really weird was Renee Zelliweger and Kenny ending their marriage after 6 months. They had this big thing about it in a PeopleMagazine about how happy they were, etc. etc. And then 6 months later, it was like in the back of the magazine.
    I do think that marriages in Hollywood are mostly influenced by the Media. And I mean, when Jennifer Aniston split with Brad Pitt, and he was immediately on Angelina, I have to wonder if were they really just breaking apart after time or was Brad hooking up with because she's currently this year's "New 'it' girl."
    But thats just me.

6. SaraSidleStokes

SaraSidleStokes Captain

I agree Palm which is why I just dont care anymore
    who can really keep up with what they are doing and why
    *shrugs*

7. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Yeah but take Valerie and Eddie They were separated for 4 years with wolfie living with her, but even so i loved this interview [urlhttp://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20051207/en_music_eo/17920]Valerie is quoted from previous interviews[/url], you can tell though they had problems (like normal people) they tried, i mean married for 24 yrs and for 20 of those years working on their marriage.

Thing is we only get what the media gives us, and usually they like to give us the bad, granted it's not really our business, but its nice to know that some marriages can last for over 7 hrs in hollywood. ;)

8. SaraSidleStokes

SaraSidleStokes Captain

Meh I dont much care for the Media its biased and its usaully biased by the journalist I WILL admit occasionally i watch Good morning America and those other early morning talk shows but I dont much believe what they tell me

9. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Head of the Swing Shift

I was very shocked when Tom & Nicole split they were together a long time - well for movies stars it's a long time! :lol: The whole Reene & Kenny marrage I kinda knew will end up in a divorce before the years up!

10. SaraSidleStokes

SaraSidleStokes Captain

Meh I wasnt all that suprised with Tom and Nicole cause I never liked him and I knew how he treated his other wives so I kind of saw it coming

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Celebs in general marry because it's fashionable and they divorce at the first sign of trouble simply because it's easier for them to find someone new rather than work things out like a normal person would. Heaven forbid a celeb do anything normal. Plus they don't have any problem paying the divorce lawyers. Some (most?) celebs even go so far as to turn marriage into a publicity stunt where they don't even love or like the other person but they get married because their publicist or whoever tells them it's in their best interests. They do the same with dating - change love interests like people change their clothes - so why would it come as any surprise that they do the same with marriages and divorces?

I used to know a woman who worked behind the scenes in Hollywood in various odd jobs. She said that she noticed overall, as well as it being public knowledge supposedly, that the relationships/marriages where both are celebs almost never worked out, mostly due to having to share the spotlight. The other reason being that their careers pull them in different directions so you'd pretty much never see your significant other/spouse unless you were working directly with them on the same project. She also mentioned that relationships/marriages where one partner was a celeb and the other was an unknown, whether a behind the scenes worker or just your average person on the street, would almost always be more stable. I couldn't tell you how much truth there is to that, but it does make sense when you think about it.

12. Palm

Palm Coroner

Yeah, that's true. The careers would split them up I guess, if your both pulling for the spotlight.

But I'm quite happy at the fact that Mel Gibson has been able to stay with his wife for a long time. And last time I recalled, she's not famous. So it makes me wonder, if you go for a regular-joe girl who's not going to take the spotlight, WOULD you have a better chance at marriage?
    ...probably not but, it's a thought that drives me nuts.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Look at some of the celebs who are married to "average-joe girls" as you put it: Luke Perry, Patrick Swayze, William Petersen, Mel Gibson. Last I heard they're still married.

Again, it also depends on the couple and how hard they're willing to work for it to last. Back in the day (no idea what's going on with them, at one point they were headed for divorce court and at the same time everyone kept saying that they couldn't ever be happier with each other. I;d say only they know for certain), Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe were mentioned as being one of the only celeb marriages that was able to pull it through thick and thin of Hollywood. Faith Hill and her husband Tim McGraw have been going strong for almost 10 yrs. Brad and Kimberly Williams-Paisley are another celeb couple who seem to have it going pretty well. Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward are yet another example that has lasted through the years.

14. glam_chic86

glam_chic86 Head of the Graveyard Shift

I think star couples that stay out of the limelight tend to last longer then star couples who don't. It's been 8 years or so for Ryan and Reese. Kenny and Renee lasted a measly 6 months!

15. KatieHeartsCSI

KatieHeartsCSI Pathologist

99.9% Of them want to be treated normal, but they don't even know how to marry once for more than a month. Heh, so much for wanting to be normal.