So You Think You Can Dance!

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Alyssa, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

I know. I'm a total geek for watching this show, but I'm a fan of dance. I grew up watching old Gene Kelly/Judy Garland musicals, and some Fred Astaire... I'm amazed by dancers who can do it well, because it's something I know I could never master, and while this is "just another reality show" it's one where the contestants are truly talented.

The top twenty were selected mostly on talent, not on what "drama" they could add to the show, and we really see very little of the "behind the scenes" work for the show. I love watching this guilty pleasure.

My fav duo currently, and has been all along, is Benji and Donyelle. The yearbook's most unlikely couple ever is my fav. What do you guys think? Does anyone else watch this show? Or am I the only dweeb to admit it? ;)

2. Reeble

Reeble CSI Level Three

I watch the show!

Though I've missed the last two episodes, I'm a huge fan of the show. I love love loved Travis and Martha's broadway dance. It was awesome. But yeah, I've supported Travis since the auditions. He's really versatile.

3. prokaryote

prokaryote Witness

I like Benji (my aunt says he has cute buns :p), Donielle, and Travis (he's so cool). Comes on tonight. Hawk was cool too, too bad he only had a student visa.

4. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

SOOO happy I'm not alone!

So... tonight'e eliminations:

With Ben, Jaymz and Dmitry in the bottom three, I pretty much knew Ben was leaving, though Jaymz didn't impress me tonight. Jessica had a strong solo, and I'm just not a fan of Ashlee's style, but Aleksandra was definitely the right choice to send home tonight...

I really like the format of this show! It grabs me for some reason! But, tonight, unlike when they got rid of Jason, I think they made the right choice! :)

5. pizzapie

pizzapie Pathologist

I also watch the show. I wish they would show more of the contemporary dancing, and perhaps even a ballet-like number. I think it would challenge the dancers a little more.

6. Reeble

Reeble CSI Level Three

I agree, but I love it when they have modern dances like Hip Hop. But yeah, I think it would challenge the dancers to do a ballet number.

But the thing is, the original contemporary dancers have an advantage against the break dancers. It's much easier to learn how to pop and lock than it is to learn pirouette.

7. pizzapie

pizzapie Pathologist

^Oh yeah. It's also a lot easier for a more clasically trained dancer to pick up the other styles, because they are more used to learning choreography than a breaker who typically freestyles it.

8. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

Thanks to jus_smile_n_nod at LJ for this:

1) Ryan and Heidi - Hip Hop 2) Travis and Martha - Salsa 3) Dmitry and Ashlee - Contemporary 4) Musa and Natalie - Disco 5) Benji and Donyelle - viennese Waltz 6) Ivan and Allison - West Coast Swing 7) Jaymz and Jessica - Hip Hop

9. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

Thoughts on Tonight's ep:

Ryan and Heidi - Hip Hop - Wow. Um... What was Heidi wearing? That was my biggest problem, was my eyes were fully on her outfit. However, on the second viewing, I think that Ryan looked the best I've ever seen him, but I much preferred Heidi last week in the De Silva routine. This just wasn't my fav for the two of them, but it was far from the worst of the night...

Travis and Martha - Salsa - They seemed to be working in two totally different styles. She was more fluid, and he was very... strong, "sharp" as the judges said. I loved when he stuck out his tongue at that one point, it added playfullness, but it distresses me that the tongue added more playfullness to the dance than the dance itself. It just didn't seem to gel tonight...

Dmitry and Ashlee - Contemporary - I thought this was HIGHLY entertaining, and I thought Ashlee did a good job of keeping her feet flexed during the lifts, etc. I do see what Brian said about her falling out of the character a little, but I thought she held her character better than Dmitry did... Honestly, these two have chemistry, more so than I've seen with Dmitry and any of his other partners. It worked, and it was fun to watch, though I'm not sure how technical it was...

Musa and Natalie - Disco - This was all tricks to me... Trick after trick after trick. The tricks were PHENOMENAL, but it reminded me of some DoD's when the dancers just do tricks to try to save themselves... I wanted to see a little more dancing. I love Musa more than Natalie, honestly, but he just seemed like the rock there to hold her up and pull of a trick rather than a participant in the dance this week...

Benji and Donyelle - viennese Waltz - I love these guys. I won't lie, but I was really really worried for them this week. I think there were moments it wasn't as strong as it could have been, but still probably the best dance of the night for me. I mean, the lifts were gorgeous (even if getting out of them wasn't), and I felt the connection, and really saw Benji channeling his inner Dmitry. I spent half the dance the second time watching going "look! It's Dmenji!" Also, I really feel these two have chemistry... and it ANNOYS me that some of the other dancers are staying in character AFTER the dance is over... Benji and Donyelle have always done it, and I have found it endearing and adorable, with the others doing it, I'm left sitting watching the other couples, thinking "they're pulling a Benjelle" rather than thinking "oh, that's neat."

Ivan and Allison - West Coast Swing - They did a fine job for never having done it before. Possibly the second best dance of the night. Ivan didn't do as much of the work as Allison did, as usual, but he did work it like he never has before. Allison is probably one of my fav females, and I wouldn't mind her winning it all, but I don't think Ivan and Allison are a top two pair.. (or whatever it takes to get back to doing solos.. the format of the show still loses me at times..) Still, very entertaining...

Jaymz and Jessica - Hip Hop - Forgettable. I mean, parts of it were really nice, but Jaymz' little protesting thing sorta... pulled me out of rooting for them at all. I've never seen the "Jaymz love." I never ever got into his dancing or found him particularly impressive... and Jessica is, while talented, usually forgettable for me, which is unfortunate...

My favs of the night for ENTERTAINMENT purposes? Benjell, Dmitree and Ivanison.

Least favs for ENTERTAINMENT purposes? Jaymzica, Travtha, Heidan

Musa and Natalie were entertaining... but it was too many tricks for me to put them in my favs of the night....

10. pizzapie

pizzapie Pathologist

I thought Musa and Natalie started off well, but then it got into trick after trick, and you could clearly see them setting up for it.

I didn't like Donyelle and Benji this week. The footwork did not look good to me- they were out of sync, and in the last lift, Donyelle fell out of it. Benji didn't let her down there- she let him down. A lot of people don't realize (including some of the dancers on the show it seems) that lifts are half the person doing the lifting and half the one being lifted. Donyelle completely lost her position. Although I did like her outfit the best out of all of them tonight (girls wise).

It's true that Alison tends to do more than Ivan, but they've mostly gotten ballroom dances, and that's pretty much characteristic of ballroom. They were worse in some of them last year on unequal distribution.

If I had to pick my bottom three this week, it would probably be
    Ryan and Heidi
    Martha and Travis
    Jessica and Jaymz

Then both of the bottom couple be who would go home. It's getting to the point where the "great, but not extremely spectacular" isn't going to cut it anymore.

11. AznxCSI

AznxCSI Witness

Although the dancers this year are very good, I think I like the contestants on last years show better.
    But this year my favorite is Travis.
    Anybody know why they changed the host for this year??

12. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

Lauren Sanchez (I think that's her name) was pregnant. She just gave birth last week, if I remember correctly. So, they recruited Cat Deeley (sp?).

Hoping to get spoilers tmra night! Can't wait! I'm super worried for Donyelle and her injured toe! I do hope she doesn't have to drop out of the competition!

13. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

Spoilers for who Dances What for Wednesday:
    Natalie/Musa - Hip Hop. Heidi/Ryan - Cha Cha. Ivan/Allison - Contemporary. Dmitry/Ashlee - Pop. Travis/Martha - Foxtrot. Benjelle - Broadway.

I'm excited for my fav couple, and I've seen two or three different accounts of the taping today, mostly agreeing with each other... can't wait for Wednesday!

14. pizzapie

pizzapie Pathologist

Yea! Only one hip hop number. I was getting tired of all the hip hop on the show. I'd like to see more contemporary and pure jazz numbers.

15. Reeble

Reeble CSI Level Three

I'm excited for Wednesday. I can't wait to see Travis dance the

foxtrot.

Who did you all want to win last season?

I either wanted Nick or Melody to win. It was awesome to see them both in the top 2.

I love love loved the hip hop dance last year to "Shake". Destini and Jamile rocked that one.