Sid Hammerback... Meatball Hero?

Sushie_Shuakhwe

Hit and Run
I've just watched the whole Sid having an allergic reaction scene, and, oh, it just made me so happy to see he was ok. I've been doing some regular writing as him, for a while, so, when I read a review about this, and heard all the commotion, oh dear! I thought they were going to take him away from my busy little typing hands.

Anyway, I'm Australian, so, really, I haven't heard about a Meatball Hero before. A quick look of google says some sort of meatball type sandwich, which sounds pretty ok. I was curious, though, seeing as Sid is, was, a chef, what could he have been allergic to? I know he said he should have been more careful, but, does anybody get my question mark sized head here? Any theories, because, I mean, aside from blissfully ignoring the presence of a family, as per reasons of my writing, I'd like to have some theories.

Help would be appreciated. :) And, hey, other Sid fan's who have seen it, weren't you just going OMG?! Seriously, big props to Robert Joy. Bravo! I'm still tingling.

^^Well, first off, meatball subs are delicious!

Secondly, maybe it could have been spices used?
I really don't know--I was really confused as to what caused his shock...
And, yes, he did a really good job in those scenes. :)

A friend of mine mentioned he knows someone who is allergic to garlic. But if Sid prepared the sandwich himself, he should have been aware of the ingredients going into it. Or if he bought it at a local restaurant, he should have asked if the item he is allergic to was included.

By the way, a Hero is another name for a sub or wedge or grinder sandwich. Other areas of the country or world might have other terms for it.

Where's it say he was a chef? I must've missed that part.

I still wonder how Stella knew it was a reaction right off...if he'd had hives she might've guessed but it didn't look like he did.

*wonders if this thread will stay open or we'll be directed to the Sid thread*

MacsGirlMel said:
Where's it say he was a chef? I must've missed that part.

I still wonder how Stella knew it was a reaction right off...

I must've missed that part, too. I guess Stella knew b/c they've worked together awhile?!

In one of his earliest episodes, he mentioned that he used to be a chef. It was either there or in one of the backstories that got posted someplace here way back in the middle of season 2.

Springmoon said:
In one of his earliest episodes, he mentioned that he used to be a chef. It was either there or in one of the backstories that got posted someplace here way back in the middle of season 2.

Okay, thanx! I only recently started watching the show, so I guess I did miss that one! :)

It says he's a chef, somewhere in the CSI: New York wiki entry I'm sure, as well as being mentioned in the article CSIFiles ran on him when he first appeared on the show. That and his mentioning of black snapper, layered with sweet and sour relish, with the addition of sambal olek and garlic chilli sauce, in Dancing With the Fishes... Seriously, my knowledge, of all things that are Sid, apart from being a slight bit backdated, as, we're only just getting to the start of season three here, is, quite good. *Grins fangirlishly.* I also think Mac and him go back somewhere, I do believe there might have been a mention of that, somehow. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Since I feel like typing, I'll go ahead and do just that. If you do look back at the clip, he does have noticeable hives, or welts on his arms. I have a brother who did a similar thing when he got stung by a bee, except, he got the right medication sooner, but still, those red hive, welt things, when someone goes down, are pretty blaringly out there.

I would think, even without seeing the hives, which Stella probably did see anyway, she might have known. She may not be a doctor like Hawkes, but, really, I'm not sure what other possible conclusion she might have come to. If I hadn't spoiled myself silly beforehand, I might have guessed something similar. I mean, yeah, I grew up around it, but, couldn't one safely assume that someone like Stella, would have attended some kinds of first aid courses over her lifetime?

*Figures out something.* I just solved something I may think. Maybe, we could rule out garlic? Just as it was mentioned, I remembered something. He's mentioned it as something he'd add to fish, as I said before. Sambaloolek rules out chilli. Couldn't be beef, because that'd be, well, just, no. Seeing as I'm researching while typing, Meatball Heroes contains eggs, because of the whole meatball factor, of course. Still, along with things like wheat and milk, I'm inclined not to believe that was it. Sid, as a chef, would know that meatballs, or, anything meatball resembling, would probably contain eggs in some way. Peanuts, again, I’m so tempted to not look at, because, well, with his background, he just should have known. Seriously, I’ve grown up reading packets of food saying may contain traces of nuts. For a guy who takes an odd pleasure of handling stomach contents for a living, I’m still puzzled. And, might I say, that, had it been anything related to fish, he might have just mentioned it before now. There was a case with all the exotic fish some guy had eaten, and, well, the case of asphyxiation as a result of a seafood allergy in YoungBlood.

In a way, although I dearly love the scenes, this still annoys me. Why go to all the trouble, and not tell us. And why a meatball hero? With so many obvious food allergen ingredients, that can’t be it, he’d have to be having a complete trip to not remember he was that allergic to one of the major ones. As for spices and herbs, well, it’s a meatball type sandwich. I’m nowhere near as a prolific cook as he appears to be, but I know, meatballs, generally equates to herbs and spices, and probably onions too.

Anyway, I’ll stop ranting now. If anyone comes up with an answer, or sees one, somewhere, do, do, tell me. Ah, and, if you want to question why in the world I just went into so much thought and detail, I’ll give you the answer now. I write, as Sid, on a week to week basis. I don’t think I’m any run of the mill wolf roleplayer, ahh, no, because I adore getting into the head’s of my characters. Providing that I’m a little skewed on his family history, seeing as I took him up before we learned of his two daughters and an ex, maybe not ex, wife, I’m still in there. Seeing as this is the biggest plot point CSI has thrown at me, in terms of my writing activities, I’d like to, well, be aware, or have them tell us what it was.

Still though, more props to Robert Joy. He is, one of those extremely stand outish reoccurring guest stars, and that’s why he keeps coming back, because he can make us go all happy, and, or, fangirlish, every time we see him. To have them test him like that, I do love it so, because it’s such a mark of, how good he is at his job, and how far the character has come. Yes, I do adore him, and Hammerback, because they both make me quite happy indeed. I apologise again for this post, it’s late at night, and I think as I type at this time. I hope I gave you something to think about though, and let’s hope we get an answer soon!

Erm, just a minor correction, I think it might have been a Meatball Gyro (pronounced hero). We have those here in SC (I'd never even heard of them til I moved here).

Ok, I have to jump in with this--every time I see the title of the thread, I think of a superhero. Sid the Meatball Hero!!! Does he have a meatball emblazoned across the front of his uniform? Is there a cape? I'm sure the clicky glasses are part of the outfit. :lol:

Er, carry on. :eek:

Faylinn said:
Ok, I have to jump in with this--every time I see the title of the thread, I think of a superhero. Sid the Meatball Hero!!! Does he have a meatball emblazoned across the front of his uniform? Is there a cape? I'm sure the clicky glasses are part of the outfit. :lol:

I wonder how Sid would look in tights... :) :lol:

^^^ I think it's pronouced as "ye-ro" ;)

Faylinn said:

:lol: I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. Who knows, when Sid isn't cutting up bodies he's saving the world, one meatball hero at the time :lol:.

Faylinn said:
every time I see the title of the thread, I think of a superhero.
Sounds like a new character for that Monday night NBC series. He catches bad guys by tossing exploding meatballs at them.

Well, if Sid in prosthetics as Lizard can still look fine, then, I'm sure, Sid in tights would look spanking. I'm sure I could dream up a "Sid does Ballet" fic one day...

:D

Back