Season 3 Discussion

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by PraetorCorvinus, Feb 16, 2010.

1. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

Alright, since we're in a lull at the moment with the Olympics going on and people everywhere appear to be snowed in, perhaps now would be a good time to whip out those dusty Season 3 DVDs.

This was the season that dealt with Grissom's hearing loss and also introduced the Blue Paint Killer. Catherine lost her ex-husband and found out who her father was. Sara dealt with a cheating boyfriend and Warrick with a mentor's loss. Oh, and Greg got blown up.

There were also some stellar performances by the cast in several key-character episodes: "The Execution of Catherine Willows", "Random Acts of Violence", "Lady Heather's Box", "Play With Fire", and "Inside The Box" just to name a few.

What were your favorites? (Mine: "Let The Seller Beware", "Lady Heather's Box", "Play With Fire", "Inside the Box")

Least Favorites? (Mine: "Snuff", "Last Laugh", "Forever")

What else did you like or dislike? Anything that you remember that really stood out to you?

Oh yes, I forgot that Hodges was introduce this season as well...

Episodes:

301: Revenge is Best Served Cold
    302: The Accused is Entitled
    303: Let The Seller Beware
    304: A Little Murder
    305: Abra Cadaver
    306: The Execution of Catherine Willows
    307: Fight Night
    308: Snuff
    309: Blood Lust
    310: High and Low
    311: Recipe For Murder
    312: Got Murder?
    313: Random Acts of Violence
    314: One Hit Wonder
    315: Lady Heather's Box
    316: Lucky Strike
    317: Crash and Burn
    318: Precious Metal
    319: A Night At The Movies
    320: Last Laugh
    321: Forever
    322: Play With Fire
    323: Inside The Box

Here's links to the previous two season in case you wanted to add your thoughts to those: Season 1 Season 2

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  2. lil_janie

lil_janie Hit and Run

I watched that season recently - the last ep a few days ago. I was so happy to have that DVD in my hands :) (I bought the first three seasons, the next are both fourth and fifth, probably in the next ten days).

It was a very good season. I haven't seen it for a few years, so to say that I was happy to watch it during the last couple of weeks would be an understatement. I like what they have done with the characters, how their lives and personalities were mixed with cases. They seem to forget one or the other from time to time.

I felt sorry for Sara. Entire season went downhill for her. Yeah, she had Hank, but then she learned that he cheated her (and the other girl) the whole time, and what's worse - the other girl was the significant other, Sara was just... Man, I can't even say it. And then the explosion, and her thoughts about how life is short. And Grissom on top of it. Not an easy year for her.

Nick and Warrick were just there. Not much special that I can recal about those two (except that I liked Warick's hair soooooo much *blush*).

Cath. Boy, she was in for a rough ride. Her first execution, that had to be hard. Almost loosing her daughter, and loosing Eddy - no matter how badly he treated her, he is still someone she once loved). Then she blew up the lab, almost killing someone - someone that was almost a friend at that time. Or maybe Greg was her friend already, he did start to hang out more with them. He was... More a part of the team - Almost the only one of the 'lab rats' to be close enough with the CSIs.

Poor Greg. Shaking started. I can't remember, it was a long time ago, but was his shaking an issue in the 4th season? Never mind. Anyway, I like Grissom for what he said when noticed that Greg's hands are shaking. Talking about work, but you could see that he was worried about Greg himself. And I realised something else - Greg was still afraid of Grissom. His nervousness and fear hadn't dissapeared. They were maybe even intesified.

Grissom. I often wonder how terrible would it be to loose your hearing. Never to hear music, or wind, or voices again. Terrible, terrible thought. And the fact that even 'the great Dr.Grissom' hoped that 'it would go away' - like he said to Al, was a great touch. We are all humans, even the best and most controlled of us.

Have I forgotten someone? Oh, yes. Hodges was more than anoying. I started to like the guy only recently (in the last season).

I don't have favorite ep, or the least favorite one. I enjoyed every single one of them. That season, after watching the first two recently, seemed like the one with everything in the right place. Characters came together rather nicely, cases were interesting, and there was so much emotion, so much happened both in the lab and in personal lives of the characters. The last ep was really the best finale they could make. I felt sorry for the detective, but everything else was just... Perfect.

Oh yeas. I mustn't forget when Grossom said to sheriff that whithout the people there is no lab. It's one of my favourite quotes because it is so, so true, in every aspect of life, world, work, what ever. Great.

Oh my. I wrote a book. Now I'm really blushing. Sorry....

3. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

I love season 3 - as it also contains my all-time favorite CSI episode: Lady Heather's Box.

Season 3 was also a big one for Catherine, especially with the death of Eddie, finding out that Sam was her father, being attacked at a scene, and being responsible for blowing up the lab.

I know I'm totally in the minority, but I really liked the early Sara/Hank relationship. I was very bummed when they turned him into a scumbag. (but it did offer us a nice Cath/Sara moment in the vehicle at the end).

Another thing that season 3 continues is the nice rotation of CSIs working together.

My Season 3 favorites:
    A Little Murder, The Execution of Catherine Willows, Snuff, Recipe For Murder, Lady Heather's Box, Crash and Burn, A Night At The Movies, & Inside the Box.

My least favorites of season 3:
    Random Acts of Violence, and Blood Lust

4. Nick3167

Nick3167 Rookie

loved the entire season EXCEPT "Snuff" and "Random acts of violence" because they actually bored me ( I fell asleep when they originally aired)

5. Athersgeo

Athersgeo Rookie

Ooooh - been hoping for this thread as I have some THOUGHTS on this.:devil:

I don't think season 3 was quite as good as season 2 in terms of stories. There's no out-and-out episode I hate, but plenty of episodes that I'm a little blah about. I also have to wonder about George Eads' scheduling through some chunks of the season as Nick is barely there in a number of episodes (or, in fact, completely non-existent for that matter!) and while that normally indicates there's an episode where he'd be front and centre (for example 'Eleven Angry Jurors' followed by 'Butterflied') season 3 seems to be missing that.

While I'm on the subject of Nick: Yesh, is he ever whiney in the early part of this season! I can understand the professional dis-satisfaction, but the carping about not working solo does seem to dominate early episodes. And that's not even touching 'The Accused is Entitled' and the John Macenro impersonation in 'Let The Seller Beware'. It's almost pod-person-Nick (at least as compared to how he ended season 2) until roughly 'Fight Night'.

Speaking of 'Let The Seller Beware', while I'm most definitely not opposed to getting a semi-naked George Eads on my screen: is that REALLY the best method of checking a pool for a dead body? REEEEEEEEEEALLY? For that matter, Grissom giving Greg mildew. I just can't quite believe that's something that would actually happen.

And one more Nick-nit (then I'll stop - probably!): "A town near Iceland". AAAAAAAARGH. Iceland is a fricking Island. A town near Iceland would be floating in the middle of the fricking Atlantic. I know American geography is reputed to be a little iffy, but between everyone who works on the show no-one spotted that obvious issue?!

*breathes*

Yes, yes that one has been bugging me for a while, how did you guess?

Overall then, season 3 is not my favourite.

Favourite episodes:
    'Fight Night' - because apart from that Iceland line and Vega's moustache (!), it's a great episode and nice to see them juggle three different cases.
    'Snuff' - I'll be the lone hold out in liking this one, partly because it really isn't too often Sara and Catherine get to work together, partly because of Grissom being forced to kill ants AND the insects actually being 'off' by two months and partly because both killers were thoroughly obnoxious and it was great to see them both get what they deserved.
    'Precious Metal' - I don't necessarily go much on the 'A' story of the battle bots, but seeing Greg get his first official shot outside the lab is great.
    'Outside The Box' - a really good way to end the season, although sad to see Lockwood get killed off

Least Favourite episodes:
    'Forever' - Wow, what a boring episode.
    'Abra Cadaver' - C'mon. Warrick and Sara really didn't figure out the trick until Grissom called to them through the stage floor? REEEEEEEEALLY? Having said that, the magician is a character that it would have been fun to have brought back in a later season as another nemesis for Grissom.
    'A Night At The Movies' - The 'A' plot's boring; the 'B' plot is entirely too depressing. Normally I'm a fan of CSI's level of realism, but having known people who would have thought what the boys were doing was a good idea I just can't get behind this one.
    'Lady Heather's Box' - I'll be the lone voice of descent here, too! While I quite like Lady H and I've enjoyed most of her episodes (still haven't seen 'Pirates of the Third Reich' and have no intention of doing so cause anything with eyeballs squicks the hell out of me!), this one just left me completely cold because, frankly, none of the characters had an ounce of sympathy to them apart in the 'A' story. That just leaves me with the 'B' story and there isn't quite enough of that to make the trick of fast forwarding through the boring bits worthwhile.

Okay; I think I'm done now...

6. PraetorCorvinus

^
    Wow. I... uh... hope you feel better now. :lol:

Yeah, I guess Nick was a little whiny for some episodes here. Never really noticed. Just watched a clip of Nick's "night of the pifflings: speech and he does indeed say 'near Iceland'. I'm going to excuse him here and say that he (or probably George) meant to say 'in' Iceland. I hope anyway...

And I think George was doing some TV movies or something while season three was being filmed. Probably had a conflicting schedule. I'm sure one the of the more devoted George/Nick followers here can correct me on that.

7. lil_janie

lil_janie Hit and Run

I completely forgotten the pool ep! How could I??? I thought the same thing - they would never check the pool in that way. I mean - really! But still - half naked George - mmmmm (*blushing again*, what can I say - I'm not imune to nice... Things... :rolleyes:)

Anyway, whining Nick came a long way and now we have a great leader - more so than Cath. I remember thinking that when he confronted Greg at the begining of the tenth season, and continued to do great work in helping Cath. No more whine from him. But yeah, not much of him in that season, and he was made to look almost like the incompetent fool. So - rough year for him too. Maybe it has something to do with the whole stalker thing from the 2nd, that can mess people.

But this is still my favorite season, if I have to pick one (right after this last one, at least what I have seen so far).

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  8. Athersgeo

Athersgeo Rookie

Much :lol:

I know Monte Walsh was filmed in/around s3, but I did think that was mostly done in the gap between seasons.

I think his absence wouldn't bother me half so much if it was at least acknowledged (which it IS in 'Butterflied' - someone says "Hey, where's Nick?" and someone else says "Conference"). Y'know, just a quick "Gee I hope Nick's getting over his 'flu okay" instead of no-one apparently noticing that he's not there and that the shift's short handed! (There was an attempt at it in, I think, 'Got Murder', where one of Nick's four lines was something to the effect of "Come back from a conference and find semen in a kitchen" - but it might have worked better if he hadn't then promptly vanished for the rest of the episode!)

9. K-Bug

K-Bug Lab Technician

LOL I have to be up in about 6 hours, but I needed to drop a few thoughts about one of my favorite CSI seasons.

I need to say first that A Little Murder is the episode that put CSI on the map for me personally. My mom was a huge fan of the show, and I never really wanted to give it a chance cause I thought it was all about finding bodies and autopsies and was like, yeah, this ain't for me. But she absolutely loved the whole "I think we have a little murder..." tagline, and would make me watch it whenever the repeats were on Spike. I finally decided to settle down and watch the whole episode, and that was what got me hooked. Not the A story, but the B story, I should clarify. Cath's attack and the way Marg portrayed the fear/anxiety/mental toughness of Catherine was just what got me stuck on CSI and what made me want to watch more of the show.

From this season, I absolutely loved Lady Heather's Box, and that is probably one of my all time faves from the series. It's just a great, great, emotional episode that tugs at your heartstrings from all angles. I love the Eddie stoyline, and hwo even though he had put Cath through hell, she still was able to mourn his death. They had a nice balance there, and the second to last scene when Cath is laying in bed and Lindsey is comforting her makes me all emotional. I liked the whole shakeup with Gil/LH too. "Say the magic word..." "Warrant? We don't got one." <3 Brass :lol:

I also liked Play with Fire, Inside the Box, The Execution of Catherine Willows, and Revenge is Best Served Cold. I can't think of anything that really stands out that I didn't like, honestly.

10. Athersgeo

Athersgeo Rookie

I've traced the REALLY egregious absence: It's in Blood Lust. Everyone else gets some kind of mention, even if it's just (in Cath's case) a quick "I've gotta take a load of small girls to Circus Circus, kill me now". Heck, even Ecklie gets a quick mention in Greg's rant over the subject of priority in the DNA lab! Of Nick, however, there's no sign or reference. Which is made even more odd because Grissom spends at least a couple of minutes complaining that he's short handed. You'd think they could have worked a line in somewhere...

Then there's Recipe For Murder (which is the episode I meant in the above quote), where he has two lines - one of which is "I'll go talk to the hostess; they always know what's going on" and then he vanishes. Completely. Given that the hostess was the murderer, there's a fanfic story in that one! (I assume in this case there was actually something written, that got subsequently cut. Can't decide if that makes the line more or less WTF inducing...)

I think, probably the best thing about season 3 was the introduction of Hodges and the clear push to start developing the rest of the lab rats into actual people as opposed to talking plot devices. Though, clearly it didn't always work out - after all, whatever happened to the Leah character?

11. PraetorCorvinus

^

I can only remember a couple of the techs from the early days, and they're all ones who got developed: Greg, Archie, Mandy, Hodges, Bobby and Jacqui. I miss Jacqui, though I'm not sure how she would have fit in with the new tech dynamic going on since Wendy entered the fray. All the others were just plot devices, as you mentioned.

And now I'm going to have to go back and watch "Recipe For Murder" and see Nick's 'flirt with death'. :lol:

12. Colonel Worf

Colonel Worf Pathologist

I haven't seen anything from this season in 5 or 6 years, but Abra Cadaver is one that sticks out for me. That's still one of my favorites.