Romance Heats Up 'Miami'

CSI Files

Captain
Long-simmering passion finally comes to a boil.<p><I>CSI: Miami</I> has toyed with the possibility of a romance between Calleigh Duquesne (<font color=yellow>Emily Procter</font>) and Eric Delko (<font color=yellow>Adam Rodriguez</font>) since the show's first season. However, the pair's mutual attraction has only recently come to the forefront. This week's episode, <A class="link" HREF="http://www.csifiles.com/episodes/miami/season7/sink_or_swim.shtml">"Sink or Swim"</a>, finds Eric and Calleigh taking their relationship to a new level.<p>"If we had answered it in the first or second year, that would have been too soon," executive producer <Font color=yellow>Ann Donahue</font> told <A class="link" HREF="http://www.usatoday.com/">USA Today</a>. "Now, you truly know the characters getting involved." A relationship between Eric and Calleigh "was always in the back of our minds," Donahue continued. "When did it take a real turn? After he got shot (two seasons ago), we saw Delko depend on Calleigh. She would cover for him, (but) it was more than friends covering. And you realize, 'Oh, you're in love.'"<p>Now, Procter shared, the romance is bringing something new to <I>Miami</I>. "The relationship of Delko and Calleigh has become its own character in the show," she said. "It makes the show different. It's nice to have a subtle change in structure." Rodriguez said the relationship is a "huge addition" to the series. "The audience waited a long time to see this," he said, "and for them to finally get the payoff, I hope they're enjoying it as much as we are."<p>Procter and Rodriguez recently did a sexy photoshoot, and Donahue promised that the romantic storyline would continue, along with repercussions. However, she would not reveal how long the romance will last. Rodriguez, for one, is looking forward to what might be coming up for Eric and Calleigh. When asked if there would be more kissing between the pair, he replied, "I hope so."<p>The original article is from <A class="link" HREF="http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2009-03-01-csi-miami-romance_N.htm">USA Today</a>.<center></center>

While I will admit that Calleigh and Eric have chemistry, and are not nearly as "WTF?!" worthy as a few other pairings I can name. I'm always a little wary when writers decide to put two main characters together romantically. Only because it throw off the dynamic of the show. Instead of a CSI team you have the romantic couple and then the rest of the team. Not to mention didn't Stetler forbid relationships within departments? Are the writers just going to forget that little tid bit? Not only that, but nine times out of ten once a couple get together on a show the writers have no place to take them that will be interesting and the audience loses interest in the couple. Usually they get about one good season from the relationship before it's boring. I would hate to see that happen to Calleigh and Eric. I wish they would just keep the tension there and maybe resolve it in the last few episodes of the series, kind of like JAG did. But oh well, I'm back and forth with Miami most of the time anyways. The last couple of episodes have left me wanting anyways.

Back