Review: CSI: New York--'Vacation Getaway'

CSI Files

Captain
The NY team discovers serial killer Shane Casey is targeting Danny in the show’s sixth season finale.Synopsis:Flack and Officer Nicholas Henderson apprehend serial killer Shane Casey only to learn he manages to escape the next day. Mac and Flack pressure Henderson into telling them that he saw Casey at the Old Cash Bar while on [...]

More...

Great review, as always - and last one for the season, woohoo! Thanks for posting them all season, Kristine. :D

I had issues with this episode. It wasn't the worst episode ever, but there were major problems. I think you covered most of the issues I had in the review, so I'll just point to it and say 'ditto'.

I had no desire to watch Danny and Lindsay talking about laundry (and that scene with Lindsay was kind of random and pointless unless it's related to the premiere) and seagulls and fish and chips and playing fingerpuppets or whatever, but eh, I'm sure the shippers that are always clamoring for more between the characters were happy *shrug* - between that and the filler puzzles that eventually guided the CSIs to the foregone conclusion that Shane was after Danny, I guess most of the episode was filler leading up to the last 10 minutes. (The puzzles themselves were cool - if it wasn't already obvious that Shane was after Danny, they would have been more exciting. I kept expecting them to reveal something major and shocking.)

Like any good serial killer in a television show (or in a book or movie), he rants at his victim long enough for help to arrive.
I can't help thinking of the bit in The Incredibles where they talk about villains monologuing. :lol:

Last edited:
Like any good serial killer in a television show (or in a book or movie), he rants at his victim long enough for help to arrive.
I can't help thinking of the bit in The Incredibles where they talk about villains monologuing. :lol:

I've been watching the S2 Leverage DVDs and in the commentaries they call that the "evil speech of evil." :lol:

The "evil speech of evil" (that's hilarious, btw :lol: ) makes sense in some cases--villains are certainly not exempt from bragging!--but in this case, it was just a little too extended, with all the clues Shane left and then him holding Danny hostage even as he saw help was on the way. It was like the whole thing was more to psychologically torment Danny. Which perhaps is what he wants to do, since escaping the authorities and even death is no problem for him!

The "evil speech of evil" (that's hilarious, btw :lol: ) makes sense in some cases--villains are certainly not exempt from bragging!--but in this case, it was just a little too extended, with all the clues Shane left and then him holding Danny hostage even as he saw help was on the way. It was like the whole thing was more to psychologically torment Danny. Which perhaps is what he wants to do, since escaping the authorities and even death is no problem for him!

I agree that it was too much. IMO, it's just highlighting how they've taken a great villian and reduced him to just plain batshit insane. It's a shame, too, because Edward Furlong does such a great job with Shane Casey. I just hate watching him go off the deep end for what I think is no real, good reason.

I haven't watched the entire thing. From what I saw, it did make me want to change the channel. That I did. :eek:

I wound up watching another episode of CSI NY from season 4.

Serial killers are hard, you want them to be deranged enough, at least from what we see, and altered enough to believe their actions are the right ones.

Vegas tried to pull it off, with better results from what I hear, this season. Yea, some of it fell flat, other parts didn't.

I think the same goes for Shane Casey. Edward Furlong is a terrific young actor, he can pull of stuff like this, but the whole premise around Shane's behavior became baffling and from what I read, also fell flat.

I tend to like my villains with a little more depth and sometimes you don't know exactly what side they are on. This whole Danny/Shane thing had that promise of Danny trying to reach out to him, bond with him over the prior sins of their respective brothers, etc.. but again to have Shane go completely batty (for lack of a better word) about Danny's inclusion about Shane's brother's death just didn't do it for me. Or didn't do it enough to make me watch this dramatic conclusion to the storyline.

So, I'm assuming your review is excellent as always, and might I add you did a good job getting all the reviews up in a timely manner. You are a hard working lady. :D I will save my thought until I do actually get around to watching this final episode of season 6.

Great review as always! :)

I know many are so disappointed with the finale. Honestly, my initial reaction after the cliffhanger was "wow". I don't know why but I like the finale. But it's my least favorite finale. I was hoping for some closure but they decided to over-dragged the Casey story up to next season.

I felt some relief when Casey fell off the lighthouse. I really thought he was dead. I thought the whole thing was over and immediately waited for the big cliffhanger. I was surprised he was still alive. But actually it's possible, granted he landed vertically on the water with enough depth.

I'm still hoping the best thing about this whole crazy story is still to come. Come on season 7! Be awesome! :)

Back