Review: CSI: New York--'Hammer Down'

CSI Files

Captain
The case of a missing Miami girl brings Vegas CSI Ray Langston from Horatio Caine’s city to Mac Taylor’s.Synopsis:After a car and a truck smash into each other head on, Flack finds a dead girl in a barrel that came from the truck. Inside the truck, Danny and Lindsay find evidence that the driver, who [...]

More...

Excellent review, as always. :)

Since it was the middle of three episodes, like you said, the episode couldn't really solve the mystery or tie up the loose ends. I doubt we'll ever learn how the NY team (or the Miami team) feels after Langston saves the day tonight (which is what I'm guessing will happen). It's unfortunate that we couldn't have had all of the teams really working together from beginning to end - but that wouldn't have worked with the shows' individual, procedural format.

I did enjoy some of the stuff we got - namely Hawkes being awesome and Flack's subtle moments. ;) It sucks that a lot of the characters got overshadowed by the plot (and the presence of Langston to a lesser degree), but at least Edna lost that hideous (IMO) pink hue for the crossover. I guess white is more classy on a techno gadget when there's a big name star like Laurence Fishburne in the episode. :p

If the crossover did cause viewers of the other two shows to sample CSI: NY, it’s unfortunate that they weren’t treated to some of the more engaging character elements the show has, like Adam’s goofiness, Flack’s biting wit, Danny’s emotional outbursts and Sid’s off-beat stories.
Very true - anybody tuning in for the first time wouldn't know about all of the great character stuff that longtime fans are used to, which is unfortunate since that stuff is what keeps a lot of us coming back week after week.

Danny is given an out of place, throwaway line to clue viewers tuning in for the crossover that he and Lindsay are married. When Lindsay asks what Danny is thinking about in the truck, he quips, “That you and I never had a honeymoon.” It feels like a complete non sequitur, one that wouldn’t be needed at all if these two generated an ounce of romantic chemistry together.
I guess we were supposed to connect the plastic hula girl with Danny thinking about Hawaii or something. But it's good to know that a year (or however far they've skipped forward with Danny and Lindsay's storyline) after their wedding Danny finally figured out that they never had a honeymoon so he could drop it into a random conversation. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back