Review: CSI: New York--'Death House'

CSI Files

Captain
A 911 call brings the CSIs to a booby-trapped penthouse, where they find a mummified corpse–and learn that there might be other victims hidden within.Synopsis:A 911 call brings the CSIs to an upscale penthouse in Central Park West after Flack discovers the mummified body of a man in one of the rooms of the apartment. [...]

More...

Excellent review as always, m'dear. :)

I thought the puzzles and such were interesting to start with, but the end didn't have enough emotional attachment for me to be worried. I figured they'd save the woman, but it felt like it took them long enough to do it - like they were taking their time. :wtf: If it had been a member of the team trapped and in mortal danger, there definitely would have been a deeper connection to what was going on (instead of just wondering when Mac would figure it all out).

Speaking of which, why in the heck would Sheldon mess with anything in that creepy oven room? I know we needed someone to be in danger so Mac could save the day - but why did Sheldon have to look dumb to accomplish it? *frown*

The thing about Haylen was odd - I can't say I'll particularly miss her, but I am curious what they would have done with the character if she'd stuck around. It felt kind of shoehorned into the episode, and I have to admit that I'm surprised she didn't even appear in the episode at all. (It makes sense that they wouldn't bring her back, but at the same time it's odd to just have other characters mention her without any real closure with her character or her character's interaction with anybody else - not that she had much, mind you. It reminds me of the original CSI dropping Riley and mentioning it in passing.)

Great review. :)

I actually liked this one and I found it exciting despite its shortcomings.

My only big problem with the episode -- did they ever explain how the girlfriend got into the mysterious tank o' water? Did she fall through the ceiling and suddenly was transported or what? I admit I was making a sandwich during some of the episode but it struck me as a little odd.

As for Haylen, I didn't hate her and I didn't love her so no real loss for me if we don't see her again.

Oh and totally agree with the slowness on the CSIs part to figure out the last puzzle. They have a woman dying and they're excited over finding the magical dresser!stairs? Even if it wasn't one of their own inside the wall, I'd imagine someone's life takes precedence over how awesomesauce their discovery skillz are.

Overall though, I was entertained throughout. :)

Last edited:
Great review. :)

I actually liked this one and I found it exciting despite its shortcomings.

My only big problem with the episode -- did they ever explain how the girlfriend got into the mysterious tank o' water? Did she fall through the ceiling and suddenly was transported or what? I admit I was making a sandwich during some of the episode but it struck me as a little odd.

As for Haylen, I didn't hate her and I didn't love her so no real loss for me if we don't see her again.

Oh and totally agree with the slowness on the CSIs part to figure out the last puzzle. They have a woman dying and they're excited over finding the magical dresser!stairs? Even if it wasn't one of their own inside the wall, I'd imagine someone's life takes precedence over how awesomesauce their discovery skillz are.

Overall though, I was entertained throughout. :)

Agreed, Geni.
The episode was good, but the last puzzle really bugged me. I'd have expected a faster pace in trying to save the drowing girl, & it seemed to take forever for Mac & Stella just to get the stairs pulled out of the dresser -- not to mention no calls for paramedics or fire departments once they realized she was still alive.
It didn't feel much like a CSI show, but it was fun to watch & the puzzle was interesting all the same.

Good review! The episode is still confusing to me but not something I will lose sleep over.

I think you helped me figure out what was missing in this one...tension. There was no urgency or tension throughout most of the show. The mummy was cool (looked like Clint Eastwood to me) and the rooms were neat. But as I think back on it now, how could they go almost the entire episode without the girlfriend making some sort of noise in the cistern in the wall? Just hearing the noise would have given the entire show the tension it needed to keep my interest. Anyone can do a puzzle but when solving all the puzzles has a deadline...like someone's life...it would make it much more exciting.

Well, it kind of looked like Clint Eastwood a bit too. :lol:

I too thought it seemed to take a while to save the woman, but I thought the dresser stairs was kind of neat.

Sometimes I really feel like NY needs to do two cases per ep. This one needed a second case IMO. But, the ep wasn't bad.

The Haylen thing- okay so she's most likely gone. No loss there. she might have grown on me given time, but not 100% sure on that one. Adam was adorable though. I really hope he was considered first, but Mac told the FBI "no way you can't have Adam, he's my secret weapon". :lol: Cause it makes no sense that Haylen with having less training than Adam and probably more than this Jake person too would be considered for this job over Adam/Jake. That just baffles me. Couldn't they have thought of a better way to write her out than that?

Back