Review: CSI: Crime Scene Investigation--'The Panty Sniffer'

CSI Files

Captain
While Catherine and Vartann surveil a pair of drug dealers at a Vegas hotel, Langston and Nick attempt to track down the killer of a hotel employee.Synopsis:Catherine and Detective Vartann hole up in a room at the Diamond Dust hotel to surveil two suspected drug cooks, Everett Edwards and Bellermine “Bell” Quisk, whom they hope [...]

More...

I think I have to agree with everything that was said in this review. The ep was too off, too cliched, and too damsel-in-distress.

And they could've had a MUCH better title. Fine, give us a messed up episode that I'll fastforward through half of later when I'm rewatching the other half. But don't make me think about it every time I open the DVD case, thanks.

Good review as usual Top..

Though Nick ogling a woman dressed up as a cheerleader at the panty auction might garner a laugh, it also last just long enough to be a little less than charming.
Watching a man in his forties (George Eads) admiring/ogling a woman about the same age as Miley Cyrus AKA Hannah Montanna is not charming at all..he's old enough to be their father..time for the writers to get a grip!

Exciting, sure, but it might have been nice if the show eschewed the tired damsel-in-distress routine in favor of letting Catherine save the day…
Agreed. Given that we've seen Catherine get herself out of similar situations and RESCUE the men on the team (Grissom in season one finale), this damsel-in-distress scenario was very OOC. Catherine's always been a tough cookie..this last scene didn't work with me at all.

especially in an episode that also revolves around men who sniff women’s underwear.
As someone else on the board wrote (and I'm sorry I can't remember who it was), I would have gone just fine throughhout my entire life without knowing this panty sniffing fetish existed.:rolleyes:

The writers can't seem to get past the "ladies man" concept for Nick that they had back in S1. It's like they sometimes don't remember that it's ten years later.

I still can't figure out why Catherine would try to tackle a man that was bigger than her when she had a gun that was perfect for the situation. Other than, of course, to make her need to be rescued.

Forgot to mention, great review as always, Top. :D

Thanks for another excellent review and analysis!

I agree with everything you said, as well as all the comments above.
I'm 100% sure I won't be watching this one again. I don't even want to try to analyze it anymore, because then I have to think about it.

I especially liked your closing comment:
" Exciting, sure, but it might have been nice if the show eschewed the tired damsel-in-distress routine in favor of letting Catherine save the day… especially in an episode that also revolves around men who sniff women’s underwear."
I think that sums it up pretty well.

Last edited:
Excellent review as usual, Kristine. :)

This episode was...odd. The bonding between Catherine and Vartann was nice - too bad it was in the middle of this episode. The panty sniffing thing was totally gross. I get that people are into what they're into, and more power to them, but...ew.

Nick perving over the ladies was definitely less than charming - and I get that red-blooded men will be happy to look at women in their undies, but there was enough time spent on it to make me wonder if they were trying to fill minutes or if they really thought an episode with this premise needed an overabundance of horny guys to sell the concept. And why in the hell did Archie notice the victim wasn't wearing underwear? Did he seriously go, 'Hey, while I'm waiting for the cops to get here, I think I'll take this opportunity to look up her skirt'? :wtf: (Also, why did nobody consider that she just didn't wear underwear? Sometimes people go commando.)

Aside from the bonding between Catherine and Vartann, and the brief humor from seeing Greg in that wacky get-up at the end, the whole episode was kind of lewd and left a bad taste in my mouth - or perhaps I should say it left a bad scent in my nose.

Nick perving over the ladies was definitely less than charming - and I get that red-blooded men will be happy to look at women in their undies, but there was enough time spent on it to make me wonder if they were trying to fill minutes or if they really thought an episode with this premise needed an overabundance of horny guys to sell the concept.
:thumbsup:Well said..here! here! I thought that girl was going to jump up and start singing, "Party In the USA!":guffaw:

Thanks, everyone! Glad to see I'm not the only one who was put off by this episode, and its title/subject matter.

Nick perving over the ladies was definitely less than charming - and I get that red-blooded men will be happy to look at women in their undies, but there was enough time spent on it to make me wonder if they were trying to fill minutes or if they really thought an episode with this premise needed an overabundance of horny guys to sell the concept..

I agree. I'm a huge Nick fan, but even I wanted to smack him upside his head. Sure, I can understand looking, but ummmm, did he forget he is an assistant supervisor and needs to set an example. :shifty: Men! :rolleyes: (sorry guys)

I was a bit low-life even for the CSI writers, pretty gross, sometmes funny. I enjoyed Nick and Ray working together, their tight, and some comments from them both were great. Nick: "I have a weakness for cheerleders" Ray:" I can tell" Nick is his superior, but treats him with respect and as an equal. The other part the duggies and Cath and Vartann a bit dull to me. I don't see jack between them but some do. I was surprised, with them holed up in a hotel room, that Cath worked alone dismantling the drug cooking operation, and the last scene a bit WOW:eek:so drugs and panty sniffing rather EWWWW and yucky:angryrazz:

Hey Top, I signed in on vacation to read your review of this episode. :lol:
I was curious to know what you had to say, and I agree with everything you said about the whole episode.

The 'Panty' sniffer part was so formulaic. Like you said it, you have Nick (the shy but curious, Ray, the socially awkward, and Putter as the leach). In a city like Las Vegas that was founded on 'fetishes' such as drinking and gambling and (all the other things that go along with those) It's not surprising that panty sniffing would be something you would see only in Vegas. Sub-par for CSI if you ask me.

Same with the drug deal. They had a homicide detective look very dumb and a CSI who is not a cop stake out a drug deal. Also, very unrealistic if you ask me.

But...
I have loved the idea of Catherine and Vartann together since the end of Season 6. ;)

Despite the heated kiss he greets her with at the beginning of the episode to avoid giving away the real reason they’re at the hotel, their interaction in the hotel room is more cerebrally intimate than steamy.
I love how you described their interaction. I loved it too. So intimate and more appropriate for people in their 40's.

I can see that you also used the generic 'Vartann' to describe the detective. There has been lots of discussion of his first name.
Catherine called him Lou and Greg also called him that last season.

The Ultimate CSI had his name listed as Tony. I think the writers sort of game him that name when he was just a random detective. Also, since Catherine's half brother was also named Tony (Burked, Season 2) they changed his name when it was determined he was to be a love interest for Catherine.

So, overall great review. :D

Back