Request for some CSI research help

G

Hi all, my first post on these forums, so hello from Brighton UK.

I am currently doing a little research into the camera techniques used in CSI, with a view to hopefuly adapting some of them for use in a video game I am working on.

I am not altogether too familiar with CSI myself, but have seen enough of it to know that the camera work, in particular the slow-mo and x-ray/cross section techniques used are some of the nicest looking around. As such I was hoping to use some of these sequences as reference to help me in designing some in-game camera systems.

What I would like some help with is narrowing down the amount of material I have to watch through to find the sequences I am looking for.

What I would like ideally is a sequence showing a handgun or other weapon firing in slow motion, with an x-ray/cross-section of the internal workings of the gun being shown. Bullet moving out of clip into firing chamber, hammer striking, bullet travelling along barrel and casing being ejected.

I have no idea if this kinda thing has actually been done in any of the CSI episodes, but I figure if it has been done anywhere in TV it's probably going to be in CSI.

If anyone here can point me in the direction of such a sequence or anything in any way similar, I would be most grateful as will make my job in designing the system a lot easier.

Many thanks in advance for any help offered :)

/James

They show things like that when talking about stria (sp?) and Ive seen a lot of that type of thing in Miami, but I cant, for the life of me, remember what eppies, but when I do, Ill come back and post.

Hope I helped a tiny bit! :)

Nice one thanks. I have posted this on other CSI forums but no-one seems to have been able to help yet, so any pointers would be most appreciated.

Thanks for the reply Comte.

Do you happen to know if the specific sequence I mentioned shown in CSI:Miami?

I ask because the work I am doing is needs to be quite detailed in terms of precisely what the camera will be doing, it's movements and timings with regard to the mechanism of the weapon itself.

I also need to demo this idea to some folks at a future point and having a video clip I can show to help support the idea would help immensely.

/James

Two eps that spring to mind when talking about stria are: From LV, Big Middle (season 5) and Killer (season 6). Possibly these would have good sequences, I'm thinking in Big Middle, they find shot casings and work out it is from a sawn off shotgun (pretty sure they go on to show a sequence of the gun firing).

If I have a few minutes tonight I will check for you and let you know.

OK James, I have some good news and some bad.

Checked out the episodes and the one that might work for you would be season 6 Las Vegas episode 'Killer'. They are showing a bullet being fired from a gun with a silencer. Basically, you see the bullet, the firing pin and it travelling down the barrel etc. unfortunately no casing being ejected though.

I'm sure there are more but I can't remember them, maybe from Miami or NY (I don't really know those as well).

Problem with Killer is that it is season 6 so isn't out on DVD over here yet so I'm not sure if you will be able to get hold of the episode.

Good luck, hope it was of some help. :)

I can remember seeing clips of everything except a bullet moving out of clip into the firing chamber...
The rest i've seen...
I can't remember the eppies now but when i do,i'll holler aite?

Nice one folks, the help is appreciated. Even if all the specifics are not entirely covered having something that can demonstrate the general idea is a big step in the right direction. Many thanks for your help so far.

/James

Back