Remembering Elvis... The 30th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by mrsjrewing, Aug 16, 2007.

1. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

In just under an hour it will be August 16th. What makes that day so special? It is the day we remember the man who changed music forever with the song, "Heartbreak Hotel" and followed it up with classics like "Hound Dog", "Don't Be Cruel" and "In The Ghetto". It was the day that Elvis Presley died. 30 years ago tomorrow we lost the man who changed music. He became known as "The King of Rock & Roll". He also brought us into his world. He brought us behind the music like no other artist of his time. He brought us from the music to the cinema to see him on the big screen. And movies became a love of music fans. He let us follow his life and we saw all the special moments. Still it ended too soon. At the age of 42 he was gone. Now on this special day we remember that man. And as thousands tour the grounds of Graceland and pay their respects to him at his grave site we can do the same from where we sit. Thank him for the memories he gave us. Thank him the music that touched out lives. Remember the man.

2. katpin31791

katpin31791 CSI Level Three

Yes, I remember him. He would've been the same age as my dad if he had lived. He's been missed alot these 30 yrs but his music lives on.

3. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

THANK'S FOR POSTING THIS, ;) our family are hugh ELVIS fans, and I was lucky enough to see him 6 times in concert, in Vegas at the Hilton, and once in San Bernardino, when he was in bad shape, there has never been any one like him before, nor since, his stage presence was so overwhelming that you felt you we're the only one in the room. He was magnetic, charming. mesmorizing and drop dead gorgeous and his voice so vibrant, that he brought you to tears :( THE KING, a rotten shame that he died so young 42, he'd be 72 now. I hope someday to visit GRACELAND, Larry King was there tonight chatting with Priscilla ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis_Presley

4. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

I am glad you are remembering Elvis on this day.

5. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Of course we are, our local radio station has been playing him all day! those who loved him, and those who didn't get a chance to see him, they'll never know, I guess one had to say one word to describe him it would be MAGICAL ;) and this morning Diane Sawyer interviewed Lisa Marie at Graceland , talk about the image of him, I've never seen a child that looked so much like a parent, same exact face! and she did a duet over dub with him of "IN THE GHETTO" and they played it, & she also has a powerful voice :eek: wow talk about fantastic, I cried :(

6. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

My mom saw Elvis in Detroit years and years ago

He did change the face of music today didn't he?
    And, if I recall, when TV first came out, he was only shot from the waist up. The TV censors thought it was 'inappropriate' to see him move his hips the way he did.

Boy how times have changed.... ;)

7. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

When I used to work in a bookstore at a local mall. one weekend there was a traveling Elvis display. They had one of his cars, a guitar, some of his stage costumes, and some other memorabilia. Also, the mall played non-stop Elvis music over the sound system. Don't get me wrong... I like most of Elvis' music. But NOT for 16 hours in one weekend (2 eight-hour shifts). By the end of the weekend, I was ALL SHOOK UP.

8. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

My dad is crazy on Elvis has been for years, I'm a huge fan too and I'm only 29. :)

He is sadly missed but his music will live on as well as his memory. Music like his is rare and will never be replaced. :(

r.i.p Elvis. :)

9. ModernDayDrifter

ModernDayDrifter Lab Technician

I was raised in a very musical family.My dad taught me to love music all the way from the 1930s up.I love almost anything from big band to Elvis(obviously) to CCR to country rock.I remember making off with my dads Nylon tape.All my life I had heared Elvis music and thought yeah its good but then about 5 months ago my parents got me to watch an Elvis movie 'Blue Hawaii' ever since I'v been hooked I love his music,hes increadible.Im proof that it doesnt matter how old ya are you can love Elvis cuz Im 21 and I cant get enough.

I dont know who brought this up but yes when Elvis was on tv they would only show from waist up.But there is a video on youtube where he is singing heartbreak hotel and they show his hole body so if you want go look for that vid and you will see his hips.

10. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

The duet of Lisa and Elvis is beautiful and the video is amazing. They can purchased on i-tunes. They are worth it for a fan for only 1.99.