Reguarding Icon/Wallpaper/Banner challenges!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Wyoming, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Wyoming

Wyoming Head of the Graveyard Shift

Alright you guys, Cinegirl and I have been talking and we have a problem that we would like to discuss with all of you.

It has come to our attention that in the event of a Beginner/Advanced challenge, some people have underestimated themselves. I would hope that those of you who have entered these challenges have judged yourselves honestly and entered the right category, but when I was looking at one of the challenges, I saw some that were in the beginners’ category that should have clearly been in the advanced category.

Now we’ve thrown some ideas around, but we’re not quite sure how to handle everything. What we really want to aim for is this:

-We get all the contestants’ entries into the right category

-There is no offense or insults taken when people are told they should be in a certain category

-Not too much work for the person who is running the contest

-We upkeep the drive and the motivation for people to enter these contests

Now the ideas we have thrown around are mentioned below:

Solution: Don't let contestants pick the category. Let the person running the competitions choose.

Problem: Contestants might feel stepped on and might be insulted by the decision made. More work for that person.

Solution: Let the contestants choose, but let the person running the competition change the decision after contacting a mod with the evidence they have for moving it, and contacting the contestant as well.

Problem: Contestant could possibly get angry at the mod, and the person running it. Also more work.

Solution: Set a perimeter. For example: If you have been making icons for 6 months, and you are creative, we’d move you into an advanced category. We can think of a few factors that could separate.

Problem: Members might feel stepped on/insulted if they are not put in the category they want to be in, regardless of talent.

I personally think the best answer to this would be the last suggestion on the list. I think a perimeter would be the best choice in deciding who goes into beginners and who goes into advanced. One of the main factors being if you won first place in Beginners two or three times, you should be moved to Advanced. We can keep a list of who is in beginners and who is in advanced. We can make it public, or if you feel more comfortable with it, we could keep it a secret. It’s all up to you guys, but something has to be done. It’s not fair for some people who haven’t had a chance to get a first, second, or third place banner. I know this from experience. :p

So we’re leaving it to you guys. We definitely need to do something about this, but we don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings or make anything unfair. We’re open to any suggestions that you guys have. We hope to make the Fan Art competitions fun, fair, and enjoyable for all, and we want everyone to be able to have an equal chance at winning a banner. I hope this post makes sense, because even for me it was confusing at first!

So leave your suggestions below, Cinegirl and I will take all of them into consideration, and hopefully we can come up with a verdict as soon as possible. :D

2. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Maybe perhaps don't have a beginner/advanced split in the challenges. Just have one big dump pile of icons and just vote.

It might alter the way of voting, but it might be the only way of being fair.

3. AliGtr

AliGtr CSI Level One

I've noticed this, and I was wondering. I do think that a split is good, because it gives those of us who are less experienced or who have less powerful programmes a chance of winning.

I entered myself in the beginners section because I don't want to overestimate myself, but I would appreciate someone telling me if I'm in the right place. I don't really know, but I think I probably am. I wouldn't be offended if someone told me that I should be a beginner. IMO, it would be a little bit petty to get mad with a mod or the person running the challenge about this.

So, my opinion is that we should have a split, and possibly choose which section to enter, but if anyone feels that we're in the wrong category, we should be told and abide by that. Does that mean more work for someone? Sorry. :eek:

4. athens

athens Coroner

^^The thing is that there are a lot of many entries..Good..And it's already hard to chose 6total-3 for each category..If we'll be able to give more than 3 votes when the challenges has a lot of entries then maybe is the best solution!.. :)

..& from the ideas,the last one is the best..And if some of the participants think that they want to be in the advanced category even if they are doing icon/banner/wp for less than the limit ,it's up to you and them..A decision you can take together :)..

5. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

I'm not sure about this perimiter thing. I think maybe it should be if you've won a certain amount of times, you have to be moved up to advanced. I've been making icons for a long time, and I've never won. Some people are just starting, and sweep the entire challenge. I don't have a problem with PMing someone and saying 'hey, you're really good, I think you should be in advanced'. If someoen keeps entering the advanced challenge, but never win, it's really should be their decision if they want to switch or not, as they're not 'hurting' anything.
    I'm not sure if I've actually said anything useful in here, sorry ;)

6. cofi_shot

cofi_shot Captain

I kinda agree with vegaslights... I was never a big fan of the beginner/advanced thing. For one, even if you're a beginner, it doesn't mean that you can't win challenges. I know at least two people who have won challenges with only a few days/weeks of experience. Also, for me it's better to push yourself to compete with the "advanced" people... and when you win it would be more rewarding. Lastly, this option would be the easiest for those involved I think. Like those running the competition wouldn't have to double check the entries, because running challenges is hard enough.

Just my thoughts. :)

7. fo_poozle

fo_poozle CSI Level Two

i agree with what AliGtr said, i think its better with the 2 categories more people seem to enter when its done that way. and unless its an overwhelming amount of work for who ever is running the challenges they should have a final say in who gets put in what category.

8. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

I think it's better with the 2 categories as well. When you only have one, the same people win over and over again. I know it shouldn't be exclusively about winning, but it's nice to think that you have a chance.
    I personally don't find it to be that much extra work to have two different categories... but that's just me ;)

9. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

From the banners challenge perspective, I would like to keep the beginner and advanced categories. I think it has encouraged new makers to enter, and even if they are really good I'm not sure they would have been so keen if there was only the one category. I don't think I have read any negative reactions from the participants to having two categories, and as long as the numbers received make it worthwhile I would be reluctant to change it.

Also, I agree that, for instance, someone who wins the beginners category more than once should consider entering as advanced, ultimately it should be their decision. However, after receiving the entries I would have no problem in suggesting that someone should reconsider their category but I would still prefer to leave that final decision up to them. I think most people would get the hint if I suggested they move to advanced, and I hope most posters are mature enough to make the right decision. :)

10. cinegirl

cinegirl Coroner

Thanks for all your comments so far, guys, we really appreciate your cooperation. :)
    (and look: cofi visited us! :D *hugs* )
    We will wait some days to hopefully collect some more opinions and then perhaps we have enough infos to come up with a fair solution :)

11. Wyoming

Wyoming Head of the Graveyard Shift

Well, the whole perimeter thing is just an idea at the moment. If we end up doing it that way, then we will work at the details, but yes, winning beginners so many times will definately impact a decision as to who goes into beginners and advanced. There will be other factors, such as how long a person has been doing it, and the effect that the icons/whatever has on the forum as a whole. A whole bunch of things will be looked at to consider :D. Belive me hun, this is coming from a "beginners contestant" point of view as well, I've never won anything *le sigh* lol. But as Cinegirl said, we are open to any suggestions/concerns you guys have. Don't be a stranger. If you guys aren't comfortable adressing it here, you can always pm it as well. Hopefully we can come up with something soon :D

12. Roosey

Roosey Captain

I don't know how to feel about the categories. Of course it's good for beginner people to develop theirselves in a beginner category, and when they win a place in those, it could be a sign that they're good enough. Though, like Jess stated, people underestimate theirselves and some people overestimate theirselves.

I think the last solution is the best too, that sounded like something I would do.

13. 4ENSIX

4ENSIX Pathologist

I agree the most with the last suggestion. Six months sounds very fair to me, but at the same time, there may be some people who have been making icons/banners for a year and may not be at the same calibre (there's me using CSI lingo again :lol:) as the advanced contestants, and some first-timers are clearly gifted. So I do think there should be some flex room, and discretion should be used, but for the most part, a perimeter sounds good.

14. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

I (again) have found something (or possibly nothing new) to say on this subject! :lol:

The parameter suggestion does make some sense, using myself as an example, I have been making icons/banners for about 4 months having never used any sort of graphics type software before. Now I would enter myself as advanced, but I do also have a tendency to get obsessive about things, so I have actually really looked at the software and tried quite hard to understand it, knowing I will never be in the same league as some of the other icon makers and therefore possibly never win anything at advanced level. Not everyone will be the same with the software, it should just be about having fun not necessarily about winning. It really is the taking part that counts. ;)

I'm not sure if there is a point to my post really, other than to say, parameters sound good/fair to a point, but I now use psp everyday, some people who have been making icons for a year probably only do so 'every now and then'. So how long you have been doing it isn't necessarily an indicator (as others have pointed out to).

In my opinion, using a fair set of parameters is a good idea. But stating what these are at the beginning of a challenge, or in the art forum guide, should be adequate. People should still be empowered and trusted to make up their own minds, it will be on their conscience. Which to me makes more sense than noting down how long people have been entering challenges, what places they have won previously and potentially creating more work.

Anyway, my plan would be as follows, I would state somewhere (probably fan art guide and on the first post of each challenge thread) what the parameters are (time spent, challenges entered, number of times you have won etc.) as a short guide to which category should be entered. This would also be useful because some posters are unsure about which category they should be in. I would also then state that everyone has a responsibility to make the challenges fun and fair and are thus expected to participate accordingly. :)