Regarding Icon Challenges - - - PLEASE READ

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by wibble, Feb 17, 2007.

1. wibble

wibble Corpse

Ducky and I have been wondering about the icon challenges we run, as we seem to be getting fewer and fewer entries lately.

We're not sure if people are just too busy to enter (that's fine, we understand people have real lives ;)), whether people are bored of doing icon challenges, feel the same people always win all the time so don't bother to enter, or something else entirely different.

I'm making this post because we want to try to find out why people aren't entering so much. If you guys are bored of them, that's fine, we can find something else interesting to do ;) But if not, we would both appreciate posting your reasons for not entering and perhaps some suggestions to improve the challenges. For example, we could get rid of the 2 categories idea and go back to the old system, or even set up a LIMS if enough people like that idea.

Also (and I've said this many times before), I'm always open to suggestions for future challenges, so you can put those here too if you wish :)

However you feel, both Ducky and I would appreciate as much feedback as possible on this to try and improve the forum.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

Well, first off, I love these icon challenges, and I find it sad that people aren't entering. I'd really hate to see them end.

I hadn't really thought about it, and it really doesn't matter to me, but it does seem that the same people win a lot. Not sure what to do about that, though. You could say the winner of one challenge can't enter the next one, but that's not really fair either.

I love the idea of doing LIMS. They're a great way to get some feedback, and some good constructive critisism. I'd enter for sure. The only problem I see with doing one of these, is that it gets fairly boring once you've been eliminated. If we could come up with something for those people to do while they're waiting for the next one, that would be great. However, on the spur of the moment, I haven't got a clue what that could be. I'll think about it and get back to you.

3. quoth_the_raven

quoth_the_raven Corpse

I love entering these icon challenges, and I really prefer this new system of having two categories. I think it keeps things interesting and encourages more people to enter, because it's for all types of icon makers, beginners and the more-experienced. It's just fun to do and fun to get better and learn things from the people that win.

And I'd love to have a LIMS, I think it's a great idea!

4. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

I really love these challenges as well, and I appreciate it so much that wibbs and Ducky have set them up for us. :D

I like the two category challenges, but I also like the way it was done before. Either way, they're both great. However, the two categories, like quoth said it encourages more people to enter. :) (Though it really doesn't matter to me)

I do think a lot of the same people do win, but again, that doesn't matter to me. Just makes me want to get better. :lol: And it's not a big deal, since these are for fun.

A LIMS might be a neat idea, because I've always enjoyed those in the Fan Art forum, and they really are great if you want to improve your icon-making skills. So I'd be totally on board with that.

Anyway, aside from that,wibbs and Ducky, you guys have been doing a phenomenal job with these challenges so I hope they don't end any time soon. :)

5. Chez

Chez CSI Level One

I love these challenges and i try to enter as many as possible. Unfortunately i was quite busy/ill over the last weeks so i missed a few...and for the last one you did..sorry, but i was just not into that theme - i looked at the picture and didnĀ“t know what to do..

6. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

I too try and enter as many as possible, and the two category system worked very well, but I think maybe at the moment there isn't enough new icon makers joining, hence the reduction in the number of entries. I am happy to 'pimp' your challenges in a banner (which I often do for the fan art banner challenges), and have suggested to some beginners that they should enter. I guess more people enter if they like the subject matter, but you can't and shouldn't account for everyone's tastes, all of the challenges have been great and the random ones have been really fun and brought out some really interesting icons.

LIMS are good, but I don't think it will encourage more entrants, although maybe you could do that now and when it is over go back to the normal challenges, that way it is giving some people a break and there may be some more icon makers by then. :)

I love your challenges, and the last was #19, it would be ashame not to get to #20. :D Great job Ducky and wibble, your hard work is appreciated.

eta: reading the last icon challenge thread, I appreciate that the same people do have a tendency to win, and that if there are more challenges I will enter in the advanced category and should have done so last time. My bad...

7. cinegirl

cinegirl Coroner

I also love the challenges and really want to join everyone, but because of real life liabilities I often miss it, and I guess s/t there is a period where a lot of people have such obligations, especially the exams period, which keeps them away from joining, besides the given subject for the challenge. But when time allows - that's how I am thinking - I'm gonna join, so please don't stop the challenges! :)
    Furthermore the two categories system is quite good, I'd keep it.

8. Roosey

Roosey Captain

Please keep on running these challenges. I love them and I really try to join every time. I like the two categories system, though during the last challenges the beginners icons came closer (in quality) to the advanced. I'll keep on joining, so please do not stop running the challenges. Please, I'm begging you. *puppy eyes*

I don't know how to feel about a LIMS. I love LIMS challenges in the Fan Art forum, but I don't know if it belongs in Misc...

9. CrimeShark

CrimeShark Pathologist

I used to join every challenge, but then real life gets in the way, and another main reason is that some of the challenges aren't my fandoms, so it's hard to get into the challenges because I'd rather spend my time doing icons on subject matters that I like. But other than that, I do try to participate, and it's really sad that I've barely missed the deadlines to a couple of the challenges. I need to be more organized, damnit!

10. crazy_steph

crazy_steph Police Officer

i like the icon challenges but always seem to miss them and only ever get the voting :lol:, i should come on more often so i can enter

11. Miss_Undercover

Miss_Undercover Judge

I love really very much the icon challenges.
    The system with the two level, beginner and advanced is almost brilliant.
    Maybe it's sometime the theme blame because it gives fewers antries as else.

I would prefer, to vote over the theme of the challenge.
    For example five film titles or others.
    So can the icon maker to decide which pictures they want to have.

At times is the quality of the pictures not so good.
    So it's for some people harder to make a good icon....

I hope, in the future it gives again challenges !!!! ;)
    I can't to live without... :(

12. csi_fan_uk

csi_fan_uk Police Officer

Firstly, I'd like to echo what has been said above with regards to you (wibble) and Ducky being fantastic mods when it comes to running challenges. You always keep the entrants (entrees / enterers... I dont know!) updated and I always feel like the challenges run smoothly.

With regards to the icon challenges, I'll admit that I don't enter those where the subject matter does not interest me. I would but, as with most of us, time does not permit. I like Miss_Undercover's idea of getting to vote over the next subject. If you put up polls with choices then you could have advanced knowledge of how many entrants you're likely to receive.

I also really like the idea of a Misc LIMS. I would love to receive some criticism on my icons as, as much as I always like my own work, I never get many votes. I'm obviously blind to my own artistic failings and would appreciate some pointers in the right direction! :lol:

13. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

I think that fits also to group "challenge" ;)
    I havent' seen lack of the quality... except that one (Lara), which was done on purpose so it would be more challenging.

14. Miss_Undercover

Miss_Undercover Judge

DaWacko

This was not a complaint over the pictures of the challenges. I hope you understand this not false....

I know what you mean and you has right, of course. ;)

This wasn't to mean bad....

15. Lizzy_004

Lizzy_004 Pathologist

I'm not sure. I'm a bit busy, but I can always make time for Talk and with that, Icon challenges as well. On the other hand, I think it's become less fun. It's not boring, but I don't see any challenge anymore. Don't know why, because I've won a banner for three times now, but it's not like it's easy to win, so the challenge feeling must be there.

I would like to see something different for a change, but the LIMS idea, with voting people off is not really my cup of tea..

I'll think about it, maybe I'll come up with an other idea and let you know :)